LegacyGT.com

Adding Rear Turn Signals to Wagon

I just got a 2005 OBP Legacy GT Ltd Wagon and had a chance to follow my wife driving the car while on my motorcycle. From that vantage point it seemed like the rear turn signals were not as visible as I would like due to their low placement in the tail light fixture. So I am contemplating adding a second set of turn signals up on the roof.

I figure the easiest solution would be a set of motorcycle sport bike surface mounted turn signals. But I also thought it would be great if I could mount LEDs in the rear facing surface of the roof rails. The problem there is I have no idea how to go about removing the roof rails so I can mount the LEDs or whether there is such a thing as weather proof LEDs. So I am probably going to just use the sports bike turn signals.

• What problems should I anticipate running additional turn signals off the standard wiring?
  • Will I need to change the turn signal relay for the turn signals to function correctly?
    • If so what relay do I need to use as a replacement?

[*]Should I be looking at replacing the incandescent bulbs in the motorcycle turn signals with LED clusters for the relay to function properly?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The rear turn signals meet DOT requirements for visibility, so they can't be that bad. But if you want a fun project installing LED turn signals, you can find some interesting LED lamps here:

http://www.customdynamics.com/

As long as you don't go crazy with the number of added LEDs, the additional current draw should not require wiring or relay upgrades.

The max legal height for rear turn signals is 83", so that should give you plenty of latitude on the wagon.

And one way to do it is to mount them on the hatch window (inside or outside) in a way that allows you to remove them without a trace.

LED lights are probably the best choice since they won't cause any major change in load of the relay.

453747.png

The rear turn signals meet DOT requirements for visibility, so they can't be that bad.

But isn't it interesting that most of the world gets the Legacy Wagon with the turn signal at the top of the rear light fixture instead of the bottom like we got in this country. What's up with that?

I would say the stop light is more critical to safety than the turn signal, and should therefore be at the position of best visibility, which usually means higher.

If you look at the rear of the Volvo V50 wagon, it has enormous stop lights that reach all the way up to the roof line, but the amber turn signals are much lower and smaller.

lol wut? Don't worry about it, seriously.

As for the difference in rear lights, it's pretty random, it's not a USDM thing, it's a year and model thing or something. Seen pleanty of JDM leggy's driving around with the same rears as you get in the states.

Infact, i'd actually put some nice new rears in, there's some that look damn good and have brighter indicators in em.

Only link i could find to show you them

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/liberty/2.5gt_spec.b/wagon/exterior/

With our lighting laws, just be thankful we got them at all :lol:

Yeah, I wonder about our lighting laws in the US.

Compared to european regulations, US low beams are allowed to have more glare.

Compared to european regulations, US high beams are required to have less output.

Does not make much sense!

lol wut? Don't worry about it, seriously.

As for the difference in rear lights, it's pretty random, it's not a USDM thing, it's a year and model thing or something. Seen pleanty of JDM leggy's driving around with the same rears as you get in the states.

Infact, i'd actually put some nice new rears in, there's some that look damn good and have brighter indicators in em.

Only link i could find to show you them

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/liberty/2.5gt_spec.b/wagon/exterior/

If anyone need those, I can hook them up with a few pairs. They are standard for the JDM 07+ wagons here and I know quite a few people here would had changed to the Hanabi LED taillights.

I've personally sold my pair to a fellow member here. If anyone need a pair, I ask some of the wagon owners here in Hong Kong.

Archived