LegacyGT.com

I think 5th is slipping

So the shift from 4th to 5th goes a little something like this......

in 4th gear about to shift to 5th right before it shift tho it shoots up about 500 rpm then shifts. So i called IPT they told me your clutch packs are worn and you have to get it rebuilt or get a new one. That "pay to play" thing is no freaking joke. ~20k on the tranny and launched once, with the IPT VB and tranny cooler in place. This is a lesson to all you 5eats if your gonna mod, be ready for what could happen.:spin:

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

wait... what? so from 4th to 5th it's going??? That's odd, I've never taken the car to WOT in 4th or 5th gear, not even with the IPT VB. :(

we took a look at them and they looked fine, however we're no tranny experts. :( and they were in the car about 20K miles. When Ty worked on them originally, he had told me they were suprisingly good.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

wait... what? so from 4th to 5th it's going??? That's odd, I've never taken the car to WOT in 4th or 5th gear, not even with the IPT VB. :(

we took a look at them and they looked fine, however we're no tranny experts. :( and they were in the car about 20K miles. When Ty worked on them originally, he had told me they were suprisingly good.

First thing i did was call IPT, they said more than likely 5th is slipping your clutch packs are worn, and a rebuild will be needed pretty soon. It doesnt clunk into gear tho, thats the strange thing it revs 500 rpms then it shifts like all the other gears. The car is still driveable, i got 1 weeks vacation comming up and thats when i plan on sending the tranny to IPT and have the car laided up. I dunno how long it takes them to do it but i hope its not longer than a week or i'll have to put rental car fees on top of all of it. Its just strange to me how it happened, i'm not pushing mad power, far from it. I abused it a couple of times but nothing big, i guess i was just one of the unlucky few.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

hmmm.... :( guess maybe we shoulda sent them to IPT to have a look. Too bad there isn't a local shop that can take a look since shipping is a nightmare. But if it's revving up about 500 rpms then shifts, that's what they had done to me before the VB mod in 1st to 2nd gears. but they would go clunk into the 2nd gear. When I sent them in, Ty told me the clutch packs looked almost new, no wearing at all....

man... you've got me worried now. I'm at Stg2+ (headers) and I'm still on the stock VB with a cooler. I have yet to feel much slippage but I'm just waiting for it... Maybe I got an extra tough version of the tranny (knocks on wood)

Let me know how much it sets you back in time and $$$ so I'll be prepared...

hmmm.... :( guess maybe we shoulda sent them to IPT to have a look. Too bad there isn't a local shop that can take a look since shipping is a nightmare. But if it's revving up about 500 rpms then shifts, that's what they had done to me before the VB mod in 1st to 2nd gears. but they would go clunk into the 2nd gear. When I sent them in, Ty told me the clutch packs looked almost new, no wearing at all....

Eh not your fault i'm pretty sure from the Dyno tune to the agressive driving in monroe to the brake launch, i'm sure a combo of all that plus my normal driving habits probably caused this meltdown. Now its time to go apply for a bank loan, i'm not putting that much cash on my credit card!.

:lol: well... I'm sure over time, between the both of us it was bound to happen, just suprised so soon actually. :( but again, I never went into WOT past 3rd gear...

Well i hope they dont ask me why i need 6k, lol all i'd have to say is, i wanna go fast.:lol: But honestly looking at how much power i want to achieve this is probably something i woulda been looking into sooner rather than later. Its just now its more of a need than a want. Focus dont worry about it, you dont drive like a jackass, that would be me.:lol:

Thought I would chime in and share my experience with a slipping transmission. Both 4th and 5th gears began to go when I accelerated WOT. In both gears, the turbo would spool, but the transmission couldn't hold it. The turbo kept on spooling and the RPMs would go all the way up to redline. It sucked major ass b/c I knew the transmission was done. I am now sporting a IPT Full Rebuild and I haven't looked back. It shifts better now than it ever did in all gears. All transitions are smooth and it redlines at 7000-7100 in sport mode. But your right, its not cheap. I spent a total of $6000 which included, shipping back and forth, IPT's rebuild and Subaru's bill to take the old transmission out and reinstall the the new one. You will happy with a rebuild even though it will dent your wallet.

Thought I would chime in and share my experience with a slipping transmission. Both 4th and 5th gears began to go when I accelerated WOT. In both gears, the turbo would spool, but the transmission couldn't hold it. The turbo kept on spooling and the RPMs would go all the way up to redline. It sucked major ass b/c I knew the transmission was done. I am now sporting a IPT Full Rebuild and I haven't looked back. It shifts better now than it ever did in all gears. All transitions are smooth and it redlines at 7000-7100 in sport mode. But your right, its not cheap. I spent a total of $6000 which included, shipping back and forth, IPT's rebuild and Subaru's bill to take the old transmission out and reinstall the the new one. You will happy with a rebuild even though it will dent your wallet.

Mine doesnt go all the way to redline is shifts quickly after the 500 rpm spike, but thats probably just the start i'm sure it'll get worse. I'll talk to PIA when i can and get their expert advice, but i'm sure after they drive it they'll come to the same conclusion i did. Its so slight that if i didnt turn down my music and look for it i wouldnt have spotted it. The part that sucks major ass is i'm probably the least modded person on this board to have their tranny fail on them.

bum news, HLS; wish you the best luck -- anything's possible until they crack it open and have a look; save some hope that all's intact and the vb just needs an adjustment. does it do the exact same when shifted manually as in all other modes?

i take it that was your former ipt vb, vibe? if i'm guessing correctly at that, might there be some substantial differences between the 07 tranny's gearing and control that an 05 adjusted vb or unit itself might balk at?

bum news, HLS; wish you the best luck -- anything's possible until they crack it open and have a look; save some hope that all's intact and the vb just needs an adjustment. does it do the exact same when shifted manually as in all other modes?

i take it that was your former ipt vb, vibe? if i'm guessing correctly at that, might there be some substantial differences between the 07 tranny's gearing and control that an 05 adjusted vb or unit itself might balk at?

Yep i tried the manual thing and same result, checked out the VB differences before we did the swap and since it was the same VB it should work. And it did, i was good till now. If there was a problem with the VB swap it should have been apparent right then and there. This is probably my driving habits mixed with extra power, and some not so good desicion making.

Interesting find, so at lunch i decided to see how bad the slipping is so i went WOT on an on ramp to the interstate, and surprise surprise no slipping. But when im going slow around town, boom there goes the slip. Also, it doesnt slip all the time just when the tranny is warmed up, about 5-7mins worth of driving. This is wierd, anybody have something even remotely similar to this. I know i have a unique situation, i have an IPT VB swap from an 05 and as far as i know the only 07+ with an IPT VB at all. Gonna go call IPT and try to describe this, maybe the VB just needs some fine tuning?

Its in your head :)

Hopefully its a fluke

You have no idea how much i want you to be right. But there is slip, i've felt it i've duplicated it. The only way to stamp me crazy and tell me i'm just imagining things is to have somebody else drive my car and tell me what they feel.

I had the techs and parts dept verify and even by VIN # in the database to make sure they were the same and compatible. ;) The benefits of having the parts guy and subie techs within arms reach and on speed dial. :lol:

Mine doesnt go all the way to redline is shifts quickly after the 500 rpm spike, but thats probably just the start i'm sure it'll get worse. I'll talk to PIA when i can and get their expert advice, but i'm sure after they drive it they'll come to the same conclusion i did. Its so slight that if i didnt turn down my music and look for it i wouldnt have spotted it. The part that sucks major ass is i'm probably the least modded person on this board to have their tranny fail on them.

no, there was Fontana Motorsports but I believe he had a stg 2 tranny that went kaput about 10K miles

Read this thread. good info!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54085&highlight=5eat+failure

Ok now the slipping is gone, i havent experienced it again. This is very confusing. Yesterday morning the thing was slipping at every 4 to 5 change now i wot i putz around town i even manual shifted, and it was clean no slipage. What the hell is going on i went from oh crap my tranny is in trouble to WTF my tranny is fine again. This is weird, anybody have something like this happen? I know its doubtful.

Edit:

I do have one theory, its a longshot, i had to reset my ecu with the AP to get rid of an overboost CEL, could this lead to the tranny having to relearn the map and cause some shift hesitation that simulates slipping?

Our transmission is finicky haha. Mine has slipped once about every few months haha.

Its def. going a little but I have plans in the works :)

Oh yeah so do i, this little slip incident has me rethinking my mod strategy, im saving up for the IPT rebuild, so i can have the ultimate peace of mind. Then i'm going with a gt30r build, and try my damnest to blow that built tranny to hell. I prolly wont be able to but i like a challenge.

ya, with the daily driving you do, the 35R is too big and too laggy. 30R would be a better choice imo OR take a look at PDX's new spiffy turbo they are testing. very very impressive!

I've always wanted to do a twinscroll set up on one of the subes, however I cannot justify the cost right now, so..... if I can get 300-330 whp with bolt ons on the STI, then that's the route I'm going for now. I will wait to see what SOA does for the future LGT's. :)

So here is the update, i had PIA check it out. Steve the senior tech and owner said that its not slipping, its a slight flare. He drove the car under several conditions and said that feathering the gas is when it does it, when he gets on it no flare. They dont know what it is, but they said i shouldnt be concerned with it unless it gets worse. This puts my mind at ease that it isnt a slip, but now i'm curious as to what it really is. I'm still going to invest in a full rebuilt tranny by IPT, but atleast i know i can do it at my leisure. Crisis averted confusion still present, panic non exsistent, i shoulda when with a damn manual!:lol:

Almost sounds like the tranny's spending some time in the equivalent of neutral under certain circumstances.

Indeed, thats a possibility. Also another quick, whoa WTF was when they were checking my fluid. They fluid looked pretty new, except that it was a bit low. Now i did the IPT VB swap install 2 months ago, and i know for a fact that they did a flush and refill then, 2 months later and my tranny fluid is low? Kinda wierd, just like the rest of this event.

BTW when are we doing this clearing and blacking out of our headlights. Doesnt sound difficult just time consuming.

well remember that when you drain the entire car of tranny fluid and put the VB back in, it will require some fill ups along the way as it starts to get through the entire tranny once again. We check all the fluids at every oil change and then some.

Archived