LegacyGT.com

Another Lame Mod : Bonnet Dampers...

eavr4

Can you give a write up of what all you needed to do? Incase any of us wanted to be lame ;)

Ermmm....it was done by the workshop, Ok I from wat I could see...they did a few trial and errors byt measuring up distance (to get the mounting points), used the same gas-springs as they had used on WRX.

Conveniently our LGTs have 2 holes on each side (ard the radiator fluid tank and Fuse box) which was suitable to mount the customed brackets. The top mounting was actually an existing bolt that holds the fender.

At the bonnet side, they used the existing bolt that holds the hood.

Will try to take more closeup shots to compliment the above as its quite difficult o imagine...

EA

are those pictures taken by a phone camera? if so, whats the phone?

Am using Sony Ericsson K700i....pic was taken with higher resolution but pic size too big hence had to reduce...sorry...

EA

I heard somewhere that this is not a safe thing to do because the hood is aluminum and something about bendind the hood? Anyone want to elaborate?

Dun think there wld be any problem as most of the Rexes had dun it oredi(also alu. hood).

Anyway, both sides are properly aligned plus the gas-springs calibrated to HOLD and not PUSH.

i.e. the torque strength of the gas-springs are only sufficient to push and hold the hood when its close to fully open. Its not strong enough to push the hold up itself. (This was suggested by the workshop)

EA

Yeah.. you're going to have a nice curvy hood in a little while..

hmmm....most of the Rexes here oredi using the customed hoodlift...no problem.

Anyway, its mounted equally both sides .... think should be better than using the original hood support which is only one-side...

The Gas-springs had been calibrated to only support the hood and not push it open.

Anyway the workshop guarantee workmanship...my car was the 1st, now they are making the kits for other LGT members in SG. prob. now is the gas-spring intended is out-of-stock until end Feb.

EA

eavr4 - nice work! I have been considering this for a month or so. I am very interested in the custom brackets.....i.e. what's needed to adapt the WRX models to the LGT. Could you get a close-up of that please?

There is a GB on NASIOC for Tein models.....$129/shipped I think (which is cheaper than most of the similar units out there). If only the Tein's weren't green. I bet you could get some hatch-lift struts from the local auto parts store and make them work.....as long as the length, extension and mounting tabs were suitable.

Archived