LegacyGT.com

Tire size for stock rim

ean611

Don't see much chatter on the difference, so here it goes.

The stock 17x7s on my 07 can take either 205-50/17 or 215-45/17.

I was thinking of a Brigestone Potenza G019 Grid set, and that tire comes in either size. (need an all season up here in New England)

Any opinions?

205/50R17 and 225/45R17 have almost exactly the same height sidewall. 215/45R17 is 0.5in smaller diameter.

I run 205/50R17 on my 17x7 for winter (Nokian RSi) and like the extra 1/4-inch sidewall compared to the stock 215/45R17. I'm switching to 225/45R17 for summer.

If I were you, I would buy Nokian WR G2 in 205/50R17. This should do very well in the Boston winter. I would buy them where I bought my RSi up in Manchester, NH (Johns & Son Tire). This tire is likely going on our 08 2.5i OB when my wife finally comes to the conclusion that the RE92A is lousy in winter (and most other conditions). This would likely cost $150-160-ish for 205/50R17 installed up there, but I haven't checked. Here's a thread about this tire.

--Lee

Well, I'm looking for all seasons, so no winter-based tires. (Hence why I was looking at Bridgestone G019, that and they're cheap, but highly rated)

The issue between the tires is that 215/45/17 seems to be cheaper.

If 215/45 are significantly cheaper than of 205/50 then I would buy them instead.

Very good AS are Bridgestone RE960 and Goodyear F1 A/S along with pricey Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Pilot Exalto A/S.

Some people love Continental ContiExtreme.

I think G019 are a notch or two below all these tires (maybe except Conti).

Krzys

PS From older AS tires I liked Dunlop SP 5000.

I want the Pilot Exalto A/S.

They're 180 a tire.

I was looking at the Bridgestone G019 as it's tirerack rating for what it's worth is almost as high as the Exalto, and it's around $113 a tire.

Just looked up Nokain WRs,

220-230 a tire? No thanks :p

Unless someone knows where they're cheaper, I'll just have to look at Pilot Exalto A/S or Bridgestone G019

/RE960s are 'spensive too, I'd rather not spend that much of a tire if I can get away with it...

I know it's not the same size, but I gor WRs for my wife's Honda in a 14" size for about $100 each. I usually do Tire Rack or Discount Tire online, but the local store did better on the price.

They worked great for her this past winter. We use them year-round. Do a search through the forum and you will find that there are a lot of folks who love these tires.

Worth the extra $$$, IMHO

Ron

Unless someone knows where they're cheaper, I'll just have to look at Pilot Exalto A/S or Bridgestone G019

/RE960s are 'spensive too, I'd rather not spend that much of a tire if I can get away with it...

^whats your budget?

225/45/17 RE960s run around $160ea. Bridgestone usually runs promotions ever 4 months or so. They just had one with $100 off a set of four. When I got mine in March 2007, I really made out. Got them at a Firestone shop...buy 3 get 1 free + 10% mail rebate from Firestone. :)

Did you even bother to read what I wrote? I gave you a place about an hour away from Boston that will probably be closer to $150.

ilh, sorry, missed the part about johns and sons, googled for Nokian Dealers, and that's what I found.

ilh, how noisy are the Nokian WRs? The concern from the thread you linked was noise, and I don't want loud tires if I don't have to.

Sorry, my response sounded harsher than I intended.

I don't have WR. I have RSi, which is a more extreme version of the WR for winter only. The RSi is definitely louder than the stock RE92 which was pretty quiet.

Search this forum for WR reports. They seem to be very well liked for an all-season with very respectable winter performance. Maybe you don't need that much winter grip. Most cars on the road are driving around on 5-year-old rock-hard stock all-seasons.

BTW, I had the Pilot Exalto A/S on a Volvo V70 GLT (turbo). I don't think they were going to last more than about 30k, and they weren't very good the second winter. That car was pretty hard on tires though. I would not buy them again. I'll get WR or WR G2 for our Outback when the time comes since my wife doesn't want to do separate summer/winter tires. I live 25 miles NW of Boston and travel up to NH and VT for skiing, so I do care about winter grip. Over the years I have learned not to skimp on tires. They are the only thing between you and the road.

Personally, I don't think 215/45R17 is a great idea on Boston streets. They don't offer much pot hole wheel protection and ride harsher than both 205/50R17 and 225/45R17. I won't go back.

Good luck.

--Lee

Thanks ilh

I'm leaning toward 205/50R17 as that is the "ideal" tire size for a 17x7 according to a guy at DRW motorsports.

DRW is very high on Bridgestone, and he thinks the G019 is very good. They do a lot of high performance Euro, and the guy is a former race tech, so *shrug*

Dave at DRW installed my new F1 Asymmetrics yesterday! He talked so much it took nearly 2h to mount the tires. :)

He's helped me before. He straightened a stock wheel with a minor pot hole bend for a very reasonable price, and I've had it mount/unmount tires.

--Lee

Good to hear, I've heard good stuff about him from co-workers (granted, one was a mustang owner, but still)

If he says Bridgestone G019's are a good tire, I guess I may try them. They're 112 a tire, which is a LOT better than 180 a tire for Michelins or other tires.

Archived