LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wagon Promo Video...

Nice. So the 3rd gen wagon had 0.31 drag cooefficent. I'd like to know the number for the 4th gen.

EDIT: I found it, it's also 0.31 (vs. 0.29 for sedan).

For those that didn't catch it, what i saw was (couldn't listen it was all in japanese... lol) they went over the developent, speed runs, some people putting around a track in the UK (a GOLD wagon non the less) and showing off its AWD system along with the interior gadgets....

I've got one for the BG GTB:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOsrOYCxVYo]YouTube - SUBARU LEGACY 2代目 BG後期型 ビデオカタãƒ*ã‚° 01[/ame]

Teeheehee, mine r bettar

Ok so here comes a stupid question. How come the US never gets the really fun versions of the Legacy? I understand some of them were due to LHD vs RHD conversion issues, but it would have been nice to have had a chance @ a GTB or B4 or something...

Emissions mostly i bileave, thank your govt for making absolutely NO sense at all...

You're allowed to drive HUGE f**king hummers, and the most gigantic monstrosities of utes, sorry, trucks, V8's in every other car and all that crap, but no, you weren't allowed a small, comparatively extremely economical 2 litre twin turbo... for some daft reason. And to pour copious amounts of salt in the wound, you're not allowed to import them. If you do, there's more than enough red tape to deter even the most devoted JDM enthusiast...

There's always the option of moving out of the US :p

Welcome to America, the land of contradictions and backwards law. Importing is always an option, and there are many a company that will help you with this (some sketchy, some not). And I think the way hummers and all the other retarded SUVs get through that is they are "light trucks" but somehow based on car chassis......

I've heard that getting a car from Canada is a lil easier than from a boat ride across the pond. Gah, all I want is a fast BG wagon that I can crush said V-8's with.

Here's what I don't get, we in the US get the 2.5L GT thats turboed, the STi, Evo, yadda yadda, but a lil twin turbo had such bad emissions it couldn't pass?

I have one small loophole to use sometime in the future

Vehicles displaying a classic or collectible registration plate are not required to be inspected for the emission control equipment listed above. However, all other inspection requirements continue to apply for these vehicles.”

At least in my state. :-D

There's a ton of us over here that are so awestruck at what Europe and Japan, heck the whole world get to drive, and we get stuck with crap.

Anywho, the law opens up with swaps (I think), assuming the engine is proved to be clean (not stolen).

Well I thought we put the same engine back in after all that work. Or I could just go the STi route......

Is it too much to ask for a fast suby wagon? lol

I've been looking up on what the deal is on NASIOC recently. There's a number of ways you can get a car in the country. There's actually a company in cali that imports skylines that abuse one of the methods.

What they do is get a company in japan to remove the engine and transmission, and some other stuff so it can be classed as a kit-car chassis, then they re-vin and make it basically on paper, a MY2008 kit car - then ship it over. in order for this company to sell them as kit cars, they had to crash something like 14 GTR's for the saftey regulations :'( Once bought in the states, the new owner has to track down the stuff they removed, to drop into the car on his own accord, and ta-da, R34 Skyline GT-R perfectly legal in the states.

The other option i've seen, and people have done this, is bring the car in (i think as a track car). Find a doner USDM chassis, i.e. Some BG outback, and swap EVERYTHING over from the imported "track car". Ta-da, 98 JDM GTB, that on paper is a 99 outback or something. Saw a 2.5RS coupe that they made into a STi Type R on nasioc using this trick. :D

Yup, the only BG in the states apparently is the outback. The GT's, L's, brighton'a etc are BK's. The BK was never sold in japan (or atleast is one rare sob).

Oh, see in my area, 99% of the Legacies from my generation are either sedan or my style wagon. I've seen one "hump back" leg in a junk yard (it gave me it's foglight relay and switch), but thats about it.

Thanks a bunch for all the info, I swear I learn something new on here twice a day.

OK, so we couldn't get that car due to emissions, why not have the same hardware (suspension, all the gizmos n go fast parts) on our cars during that era?

Yup, the only BG in the states apparently is the outback. The GT's, L's, brighton'a etc are BK's. The BK was never sold in japan (or atleast is one rare sob).

Then I've been a wrong for a long time, I thought mine was a BG, I guess mine's a BK Lounge (lame dane cook joke i know). :lol:

Yep. See the roofline here, thats a BG. If it doesn't have the step, and the different roof rails, it's a BK.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/Pilot_Reuben/New%20GTB/NewGTB15.jpg

OK, so we couldn't get that car due to emissions, why not have the same hardware (suspension, all the gizmos n go fast parts) on our cars during that era?

:rolleyes: That i don't know, I would really love to know this one myself actually... but i suspect it's something to do with the car culture at the time, in the states. Or could be subaru saying "Well if you won't let us give you turbo's, we won't give you a GT interior and handling setup, or fancy mags and body kits :P" I can only guess though. :spin:

btw, the GT interior you do get is NOT the real GT interior. (for the BD/BG/BK's)

And to get back on topic for a second

Legacy GTB vs Legnum VR-4 Circa 1996

Edit, just watched that again, gotta love the GTB's tendancy to oversteer :D

Great clip! 5th gear had one of the STi Forester (here for insurance purposes its a Wagon) going round the track.

And the video got pulled.....

Here's what I'm used to seeing: mmmmm body roll, thanks small ass swaybars*, crappy springs, and cheapo struts.

* I changed out the rear with a larger adjustable sway.

IMG_1816.thumb.jpg.131d085bd9095825ed46c9031e5f0e41.jpg

IMG_1539.thumb.jpg.3f4b12883923c2df1ba75d0faf78615f.jpg

Or could be subaru saying "Well if you won't let us give you turbo's, we won't give you a GT interior and handling setup, or fancy mags and body kits :P" I can only guess though. :spin:

Are those stock wheels on your BG? :eek:

No, those are technocasts, came with the car, i prefer the stock wheels though so bought some later (http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/Pilot_Reuben/okura/03.jpg)

And that looks like some serious fun! You definitely need a suspension upgrade :S Isn't whiteline a US brand? they make BG sway bars (BG, BK, same thing really), big suckers, and adjustable too i think... maybe those was the cusco ones.. Could do with some 17's too. Stock tyre size for the BG GTB is 215/45R17, 17X7" wheels, with 48mm offset.

Autocross is the best, esp with a wagon. I've had people be like "pffft its a wagon", but then I run times and I'm typically in the top 2 in my class.

Whiteline is an Australian company.....

The Cusco is actually for the GT, but the rear is the same. Nice thing is, putting in just a thicker rear sway gives me that GTB oversteer.

I didn't realize stock was 17", or that 17's could fit in there.... Mine's rockin 14" steelies, stock size is 185/70R14, I run 195/65R14s. I smell upgrades in this wagon's future.....

Is it worth it to upgrade struts / springs? My folks did it once before the car was mine and it took a while......

Mate, you can fit 20's on a BG, my mate used to own a GTB with 20's :p I think 17's and 18's look best though.

And worth upgrading springs? Um, heck yeah! If you can afford it, do it. And the brakes too, pads alone normally surfice, only a few hundi for some good pads. And especially if you have rear drums... i'd get that fixed ;)

Nope got discs on all fours, and thats the mod i forgot, new calipers the whole way round, Brembo non slotted rotors, Akebono pads. Brakes = key for auto x.

I've been trying to find someone that's upgraded their WRX wheels, so I can buy his old ones!

Now on a quest to find WRX wagon springs....

Archived