LegacyGT.com

Bad Paint

SUBY3

Bought my 05 GT in july and didnt pay much attention to it but.....

The paint looks like crap. I can actually see small 1/4" circles in the paint on the surface. The closer I look it seems like a bad mix of paint that subaru tried to polish out. I have seen this before because I grew up next to a professional paint shop. I am taking it into Irvine Subaru on sat for my 2nd oil change and they are gonna have a look at it. I have a feeling this could get ugly.

Yeah, I noticed a paint blemish on my hood about a week after I brought my legacy home. It's about the size of a baseball, but is only noticeable in certain lighting. Basically, it looks like a dark circle where the light is reflected differently. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer, just because it could be a headache to get the paint to match. Also, from past experience it seems like repainted parts from a body shop don't hold up nearly as well to paint chips, etc. as the factory paint. I was really angry when I first saw it but now have learned to live with it.

Yeah heard Subaru's are not known for their paint quality. A lot of people on here got the Clear Bra - not sure how they are holding up.

Yep they did and I can attest to the fact they hold up great. For people interested we are having a moving sale. Check it out in the vendor section.

Chad

• 2 months later...

Some nice bright sunshine and a quick detail for the water drops that appear when driving back from the car wash allowed me to discover some paint defects today on my 2 month old car.

On the right rear of the trunk, between the rear plate recess and the right tail light, below the 2.5GT emblem are several small shallow circular depressions in the paint and/or clear coat ranging from pencil eraser to dime size, plus a quarter inch by inch long area that resembles the blistering you get when rust is forming under the paint. I think this pannel is plastic so it wouldn't be rust. It appears to have been some type of contamination or poor surface prep before painting that piece. I'll bring it in to the dealer on Monday and have them order a replacement pannel.

I've got rust specs all over my white sedan. I know a good coat of wax will take care of it, but its irritating that the dealer would let it go like this. I should have checked it closer when I test drove it and picked up it but it was raining out at the time.

waxing isn't going to do anything for the rust specs on your car. That isn't something that is to be blamed on Subaru paint either. It happens to every car on the road no matter how expensive the paint job is. Its called Industrail Fallout and it requires Clay to remove. I have an article on www.ocdetails.com that explains how to properly remove that. Cleaning up the rust stains on the paint is easy, but the metal particles in the paint that are causing the rust dots are a little more complicated to remove and can't be done with wax. That is like using rubbing alcohol to remove a splinter. It just won't work. You need to pull the metal out.

I'm not thrilled about this paint job at all. It is by far the softest paint I have ever seen. I am still learning ways to deal with it, but I am not thrilled at all. I don't know what I can do about it though... Talking to anybody at the dealership is going to be a wasted effort. They don't know anything about paint and what is normal.

Those quarter inch spots on your car.... are you sure they aren't old waterspots that have etched into the paint? That can happen to any car if you park near sprinklers and don't get them cleaned off in time. Its not a paint defect as much as it is paint damage. It can be fixed and isn't Subaru's fault. That is only if that is what you have, of course. Its hard to say without seeing the damage.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Here is my clay article if you want to know how to get those rust dots off for good. Well, I guess they won't be gone for good, but the cause of the rust dots will be gone and you only have to worry about protecting the car well enough that they don't come back soon or as bad.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived