LegacyGT.com

Premium Vs. Regular Gas for NA EJ25

Ok, don't see a thread on this for NA engines, so here it goes.

For the 2.5L Legacy engine, has anyone noticed a difference with premium?

The engine has a 10:1 compression ratio, meaning that by my understanding, the knock sensor is what is saving my engine from regular fuel.

Anyone find better MPG/HP or other effects by running premium?

i didnt notice a damn thing when i had my 06 2.5i

i ran both kinds and it ran about the same. Seemed as though i got less MPG with running premium.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I Ran Both On My 05 2.5i Wagon. For Premium, I Noticed Less Knocking And Smoother Acceleration Compared To Regular. However, I Do Get Better Mpg On Regular Gas. Maybe I Pushed Harder While Runnig Premium Gas.

JayMitch2.5i, I ask the question, because 10:1 (NA Legacy Engine's compression ratio) is high enough to be considered high compression.

In my 3.0R, the required is regular unleaded (87oct). But I have tested it several fillups, and have seen a loss in MPG and power when using the cheap stuff. I don't know if having 2 extra cylinders and 1/2 L more than you guys makes a difference, but it's 92 only from now on for me.

I thought the 3.0R's recommended premium but allowed you to run 87 octane with degraded performance?

I understand the new Tribeca motor (3.?) H6 runs on 87 full time.

I guess folks like to waste money around here....

I guess :lol:

And no Premium does not have MORE detergents like someone mentioned above:rolleyes:

Octane ratings simply measure the fuel's resistance to autoignition and the reason Premium gas cost more is that the components (alkylates) used to raise the octane level are expensive NOT the detergents. The detergents are the same at all octane levels.

Here is an interesting fact....the price of premium is coming down relative to the price of Regular because less people are buying premium. The gas companies actually sell Premium at a cut rate so that it encourages people to buy it instead of dumping regular into their cars that require premium. If they were to sell premium at the same margins they are selling regular, premium would actually cost about 50 cents more :eek:

Here are some car&driver articles for you to read ;)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/regular_or_premium_feature

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/c_d_staff/larry_webster/your_car_is_a_temple_so_put_in_the_good_stuff_column/(page)/1

Enjoy.

When I had my NA I noticed that is got better MPG's with 87 compared to 89 or 93. Save your money and get the cheap stuff.

Same here, I did quite a bit of testing in my 2.5RS between 87 and 89. 87 always felt like it gave better power, and I definitely saw better mileage on 87 than 89. I only tried 93 once, and it felt like I was driving on a tank of bad gas (which I suppose is possible).

Doesn't 87 actually contain more energy than premium

No, premium has more energy, but 87 burns easier. HO NA engines (like say an F430; a stock NA 2.5i doesn't qualify as HO) and forced-induction engines need premium. For cars that don't need it, it'll be a waste of money.

Archived