LegacyGT.com

Sam's Club: Eagle Response vs F1

fishbone

Thread revival. I have almost 20K on these tires and 10K miles ago have developed a loud humming noise akin to a washer on high spin cycle. I had the tires checked and all four have uneven tread wear/cupping. All tires have 9/32 wear on them, I had them rotated every 10K miles.

The noise is there between 30 and 44mph, the loudest between 38 and 40.

I am in touch with Sam's Club to have the tires checked and possibly serviced under warranty. I do not know if this is a common issue, I understand that high performance tires can get loud, but they should NOT have cupping and be THIS loud.

If I am going to have the tires replaced I am not sure what to go with. I want a good performing all season tire and there are a lot of choices at Sam's Club.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I found this thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114238

I don't know if I should get the same tires or go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They seem to be rated higher in every regard on TireRack. I really like how the Eagle F1s handle and the kind of road feedback you get. Some described them as rock hard but as far as I'm concerned it's given my LGT BMW-like road feedback (you feel the road irregularities, cracks etc but the tire is not harsh). According to the reviews, the Pilot Sports should be the same if not better.

I'd take the tire racks recomendations with a grain of salt. The last tires I bought on their recomendation were not at all what they said they were. In fact, I should complain to them and ask for another set of something else.

Michelins have gone downhill big time lately. My friend just put BFG g-force All seasons on his car and we were both very impressed at how they perform. Quiet, balanced with no fuss and grip well in wet weather.

Well, I think I'm going to try the Michelins. I'm just afraid of trying out something else when what I have has already been proven. Is there a more professional tire review place I should look at where they have the two head to head? I want as big of a score in snow as possible.

I'd take the tire racks recomendations with a grain of salt. The last tires I bought on their recomendation were not at all what they said they were. In fact, I should complain to them and ask for another set of something else.

Michelins have gone downhill big time lately. My friend just put BFG g-force All seasons on his car and we were both very impressed at how they perform. Quiet, balanced with no fuss and grip well in wet weather.

You do know that Michelin makes the BFG tires right? The g-force 3 zones are the same as the Michelin used on their tires.

That was funny.

Krzys

You do know that Michelin makes the BFG tires right? The g-force 3 zones are the same as the Michelin used on their tires.

Yes I do and I still stand on my position. I had a dozen new trucks on the lot, some had BFG Long trails and some had Michelin LTX's.

ALL the trucks with michelins came back with shimmy complaints and pretty severe ozone cracking on the sidewalls.

The trucks with the BFG's never had a problem and the BFG's outlasted the Michelins by 10-20,000 miles on average.

Just because Michelin owns BFG means squat.

The g-force 3 zones are the same as the Michelin used on their tires.

^^^the same what? Rubber compound, molds, tire construction????

Well, I think I'm going to try the Michelins. I'm just afraid of trying out something else when what I have has already been proven. Is there a more professional tire review place I should look at where they have the two head to head? I want as big of a score in snow as possible.

I would trust tire reviews here on the forum more than the tire rack. You could google tire tests and see if any magazines did some head to head testing.

I can't speak from experience but these are very highly regarded by members here; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position

Unfortunately I don't lurk this section enough and there are a gazillion choices there and just as many opinions, so I'm trying to get my bearings on my own. According to the Tire Rack test track (NOT consumer reviews), the Michelins bested both the Bridgestones you linked and the Eagle F1s. Not to completely invalidate your experience, but we are talking about sedans here, not trucks ;)

Unfortunately I don't lurk this section enough and there are a gazillion choices there and just as many opinions, so I'm trying to get my bearings on my own. According to the Tire Rack test track (NOT consumer reviews), the Michelins bested both the Bridgestones you linked and the Eagle F1s. Not to completely invalidate your experience, but we are talking about sedans here, not trucks ;)

Sounds like your going to make your decision regardless what we are trying to help you with in terms of info.

All I am suggesting is that there are as good or better choices much cheaper than the Michelin. FWIW, you spent all that $$ on "highly rated" Goodyears only to have problems.

If your looking for "best in class" snow traction the Conti ContactExtreme was at the top of the heap. Not a huge Conti fan myself but if you can find 4 somewhere (they are replaced by Extreme DWS) you have your snow traction wish.

I have read that you can degrade the snow performance of the Contis by running them during summer. Not sure how true this is, but it's something I've read.

I haven't completely shut down to suggestions, not at all, it's just that I seem to have found a pretty good tire to go with. Like I said above, plenty of different opinions. Such as the Eagle GT. I'm sure they're a great tire but they don't seem to be rated as high as the Pilot Sports. If Tire Rack isn't the "authority", then who is? So I can read their reviews. Tire choices were always a frustrating experience for me.

I feel your pain on this. The term "High/Ultra High Performance All Season" is kind of an oxymoron. They are always more biased to wet/dry conditions more-so than snow.

I just put the Conti's on my wifes Saab 9/3 since she seems to always have a problem in snow. The Conti is an all season rated tire and I chose them strictly on the snow traction factor, plus they were closeout and cheap.

Stay away from the Yokohoma Avid Ws4's, I have them and I hate them. The tire rack rated them at the top, over Conti, BFG, Bridgestone and I think Michelin too. They suk in snow, and after 20,000 miles they hum like motocross knobby tires, I mean really loud. Tire rack totally missed the mark when they tested these.

If you can swallow the price, go for the Michelins. Keep us posted on the results.

If you complain to Goodyear you should be able to get another set of tires for free. Has to be another Goodyear or Dunlop product of same or lesser price, although some places won't give you any choice.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Hey Fish,

I've been running Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 225/45/17 (replaced stock 215/45/17) on my '08 Civic SI. Got about 12k/6 months on them now. Driven in everything except snow.

They transformed my ride, after using Falken Ziex 912s and General Exclaim UHPs in stock size, this made the car ride as it should. I can absolutely feel greater "squirm" in the sidewall when I'm going sideways at 45mph than with and UHPAS (this is not an "ultra" category according to tirerack). Might be cause it's taller too. But for that, I get much better ride quality, superb steering response, and after 12k miles they look like I'll get 40-45k out of them.....the previous tires mentioned were pretty much worn out by 25k miles on each set. I drive this car fairly hard. Most days I arrive at work and my sidewalls are scuffed from how hard I was taking a turn.

Anyway....I'll put my plug in that I think the michelin pilot sport a/s, the new one, would be a good choice for you. Off tirerack, they are currently almost the exact same price as the Bridgestone re960a/s, which is listed at $144 with the 91w rating.

Looking at the 225/45/17 for these things

Good luck.

Joe

P.s. Oh, I'll add that the pilot exalto a/s so absolutely zero pull and have a fantastic highway ride, but they do have some slight shimmy. That being said, I don't really trust the shop that balanced them out and my 17" rims have taken a beaten on PA roads. The shimmy mainly appears between 80-90mph, and it's pretty minor. Just wanted full disclosure.

Thanks Joe for that note :)

stan, that's what I am afraid of, that i will have to go with another GoodYear. I am hoping I can work something out with Sam's Club. If I can't, I'll go with another set of F1's and if they get noisy again, they will be replaced again. However I will push HARD to get another brand altogether, I'll play the disatisfied customer that doesn't want anything to do with Goodyear. We'll see how far that gets me. I have no problem paying for the difference.

The problem is that when I got these tires they were $146 a piece. They are now up to $160 and the Michies are $180 at the Sam's here. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Sam's Club, checked tires, confirmed they are cupped. Even wear 9/32 front/back. Tried to blame it on bad alignment or bad suspension. All four are cupped on the outside. Wrote up ticket, would not touch tires unless Goodyear called them and gave them the OK, since they don't show any warranty on them.

Called Goodyear, they are making me go to another shop since Sam's is not a Goodyear authorized dealer. Dropping the car off tomorrow morning.

I will HAVE to get another set of either Goodyear or Dunlop tires, they won't give me pro-rate credit if I switch manufacturers. So I guess I'm going with another set of F1s since there are no better in the Goodyear or Dunlop line-up as far as high performance tires go. I just want better winter and summer performance than what a "regular" tire offers, that's all.

If you guys can recommend me something better than the Eagle F1s, I am all ears.

They won't be better peformance-wise, but I've been pretty happy with my Goodyear Eagle GTs. They've been excellent in wet and dry conditions and the 50K tread warranty is nice. They'll get you through the winter, but the car did get squirrelly in a turn in 3"-4" slush at ~15mph. This experience made me decide to switch to a dedicated winter setup.

Archived