LegacyGT.com

RIP Ezra (No One Got Hurt)

;1937121']You need to report this to SOA (1-800-SUBARU3) and to NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI). You can notify ODI by filing a complaint at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm or by calling their vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236. I searched ODI's complaints database for 2005 Legacy/Outback fires and found two reports (see http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm?odi_ids=10151244%2C10170888&Search=Search&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true).

Filed the complaint with NHTSA ODI on the web site. Will call SOA tomorrow and report it to them as well. Thanks for the info!

Is that the fuel line??? That metal pipe next to it is completely melted shut. If not, what is it?

DSC_1450.jpg

no, that pipe comming out of the fire wall is a AC line and the smaller lines near the strut tower are bake lines. the fue lines are on the driver's side of the car.

I have no idea what started it. The car died, had to be pushed into the parking lot. She said that she saw smoke when she parked it. Wife called, told her to wait in the shade and not in the car (w/kid and dog). Less than five minutes later a guy comes up to her and says that is a fire under there. Within the next ten minutes the car is destroyed and put out. Luckily the fire dept was about a block away and the car wasn't near anything else.

Thats why I carry a fire extinguisher in the back!

I've seen similar fire damage...caused by a split inner axle boot, if left unrepaired it spins grease up on the downpipe and turbo, once that gets hot enough it ignites. And since the main wiring harness is on that side of the engine compartment once the wires melt, the car shuts off.

Wonder if the same thing happened here?

I've seen similar fire damage...caused by a split inner axle boot, if left unrepaired it spins grease up on the downpipe and turbo, once that gets hot enough it ignites. And since the main wiring harness is on that side of the engine compartment once the wires melt, the car shuts off.

Wonder if the same thing happened here?

The inner boot/joint on the right side is really a weak point on our cars. An extra heat shield around the joint would have done a lot.

453747.png

Wow glad to see your alright. I wouldn't knock out subies due to a freak accident however. Then again if i was living in your area i would be driving a G8 GT :)

Progressive is by far quite awesome, in my accident last year they had my check ready in 3 days for my totaled car. Very good customer service which is the only reason i am still with them.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Archived