LegacyGT.com

Problem Installing HID's

UnXpectedError

So I bought a kit from the group buy here from Xenon Expert, trying to install the kit now and having problems. It came with the battery harness. Best instructions i can find are here:

www.xenondepot.com/xtrmman.htm

I have everything hooked up correct as far as I can tell but no lights on either side. I pulled out the multimeter and started testing and both relays energize when i flick the lights on. And i confirmed that 12 volts is being passed to the ballasts once the relays energize. But the output of the ballasts to the HIDs have 0 volts on both sides. :confused:

The only odd thing i could find was the 2 wires supplying 12V to the ballasts are white and black. I would expect the white to be positive and the black negative. But its the not, my meter says -12V if I assume white is +. But the polarity of everything else is correct from what i can tell. Unless red goes to ground and black goes the the + on the battery:lol:. I think not.

Any ideas anyone?

Well I bypassed the battery harness and they work. Also there is now +12V on the white wire supplying the ballast so obviously the -12V i had before is the problem. Although i can't for the life of me think of what it could be.:spin:

There are two connections on the harnass that have polarity. One hooks up to the car harnass. I tried it both ways and it supplies -12V to the harnass both ways. The other is the connection to the + on the battery. I refuse to try the black on positive and red on ground here lol

I bought the Japanese kit: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89202

Mine is different than the one in your picture. There is one battery harness per bulb. It is identical to the wiring in this link:

Edit, So I am running without the battery harness's and everything is working fine. What exactly is the disadvantage of running without the harness? Can the Stock Connector not provide enough current?

I bought the Japanese kit: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89202

Mine is different than the one in your picture. There is one battery harness per bulb. It is identical to the wiring in this link:

Edit, So I am running without the battery harness's and everything is working fine. What exactly is the disadvantage of running without the harness? Can the Stock Connector not provide enough current?

its cheap safety to know the system is isolated from your oem circuits, dash switches etc. they will power up just fine with the oem circuit, but it was not designed for the large current draw during xenon ballast warmup. seems that alot of people have been running xenon setups this way though. i prefer to wire directly to the batt and avoid any issues. also makes trouble shooting easier since you can isolate things much faster.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 1 year later...

Do Xenons actually overdraw the stock wiring? My gut tells me a fuse would 100% blow before the wires got cooked, unless there is no fuse. But there must be a fuse...

I also don't know whether the JDM HIDs came with the same stock wiring or a heavier wiring harness, but I would assume similar for lack of any other information...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see this thread before, but I had the same problem with the same kit. What I found was that the harness plug with the black and white wires (which can only be plugged in one way) was actually wired backwards from the factory. I switched the wires in the harness to the other sides, plugged it in and the lights came on.

Eventually, I had a problem with these plugs becoming loose and the lights not working so I just simply cut the plugs off and permanently connected the wires.

Archived