LegacyGT.com

Horn Mod

Has anyone changed the horn. I have only had my LGT for a few months and after I used the horn for the first time I knew it had to go. I used it the other day and even my wife laughed about how fruity it sounded. I am embarrassed to use it. Its not all Japanese cars because my Maxima and Infiniti had decent horns.

Wimpy horns is exactly why I changed mine. They were barely audible on the freeway.

I got a set of air-horns at Pep Boys that has the compressor and trumpets in one small unit. I mounted them behind the grill on the vertical bar ahead of the radiator. I moved the wire for the existing horn over. Because they draw more power than the regular horn is fused for, I tapped a line from the battery to a relay to the airhorns, then used the wire from the original horns to close the relay.

If you have not tracked down the actual LGT horns. They are below the passenger side headlight (and so are muffled even more by being enclosed). Pull the air intake ducting and even the filter box and you should be able to see them.

I had 4 PA speakers welded to the car chassis. Two smaller ones pointing down near the bumper, one large one pointing down in the engine bay, and one smaller one pointing out the grille. Got that hooked up to a 240 watt amp in the trunk which, in turn, is hooked up to my carputer. Makes for ridiculously loud sounds as well as music and... PA system (though I don't use it for that since I think that's illegal... other than the occasional "STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE" when any kids in my local neighborhood try to step on the back bumper for a ride down the street... lol.)

Fun to do jet-turbine startup sounds in a parking lot and have people look and think (what the hell has he got under THERE?!?) Also fun to do funny musical horns. And if you really want to scare someone, I've got that annoying car alarm that changes tones, but if someone is within ten feet and I play that one, they pretty much get deafened.

I got this one http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+accessories/exterior+accessories/red%2C+compact+italian+air+horns.do

you can also just do a search on google for stebel nautilus. I mounted mine on the passenger side where one of the stock horns use to mount. pretty simple install.

Wow, that is really affordable. I just might get one.

So did you disconnect both horns or just the passanger side one?

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I got this one http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+accessories/exterior+accessories/red%2C+compact+italian+air+horns.do

you can also just do a search on google for stebel nautilus. I mounted mine on the passenger side where one of the stock horns use to mount. pretty simple install.

I have a Nautilus in my Miata. Simple patch into the existing horn circuit. Unfortunately its also the same circuit for the brake lights. Get cut off, hit horn and brake at the same time and you blow a fuse! After about the third time I had the relay installed. No problems since and they are loud!

Curious as to whether you installed a relay when you installed this horn. If not, any blown fuses?

sweeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!! I gotta get this !!!! Nice find !!

• 2 months later...

A buddy of mine has a GMC dually that he uses to haul his boats and they have it all hooked up, including train horns. Thats the best part about driving that truck. I have had so much fun driving through the city and scaring people walking down the sidewalk. If I could get something like that in my car, that would be great.

Archived