LegacyGT.com

Finally Smelled the Clutch Stink

tommypenguin

Yesterday a friend and myself went to a local Mexican restataurant, I had 2 margarita's but they made them extremely strong, even stronger than the govenor. When I stood up I knew immediately I shouldn't be driving. I gave the keys to my friend who had not been drinking to drive my car back to my house, which was about 4 miles from the restaurant.

Needless to say he thought he would have a little fun with my car in the sense he wanted to blast my system on the drive home. He drove my car with respect up until he approached the final red light before getting to my house. He put the stick into first gear he had reved my tach to 5,000 rpms to get it off the line without even knowing because my system was blasting so loud. Needless to say I was watching my tach like a hawk, I immediately turned the stereo off and told him not to rev my car like that ever again. :redface: He said he had no clue that he had reved my ride that hard, at the time we were bickering about this I could start smelling something foul, it was my clutch, it smelled absolutely terrible. When we got my car into my garage it stunk up for a good 20 minutes.

I have never smelled clutch stink in the 2+ years I have owned my legacy, now I know what it takes to get it and what it smells like. I never let anyone drive my car, not since i bought it, this example is a perfect reason why. Granted, I was slightly intoxicated and it was the right move to hand the keys to my friend but to those who let others drive their car at will you may want to think twice if you have a manual. Once you get someone to stink your clutch up you will be a lot more hesitant to let anyone else drive your beloved lgt. Just figured I would share my story since I've never beared witness to clutch stink and could not relate to those who complain about it.

Don't be too hard on your friend. If you have a stock exhaust it is easy to over rev if you are not familiar with the car. However, 5k is really high, even at the track.

The first week I had my car I did some unintentional high revs (in 1st gear) starting on an incline.:redface:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived