LegacyGT.com

Moving to Cali dilemma

Saul_Good

OK, my dilemma is, i'll be working at LAAFB in El Segundo. I found a place right by the base in Del Aire. Kinda pricey, but it's close. I'm also looking at places in Torrance, but it's hard to get places when you have a 50lb dog. Then there's base housing, but it's in San Pedro (Ft.MacArthur). Overall its cheaper and all utilities are included. BUT it's about 20miles from the base, which i hear is a long ass commute in LA terms. What would everyone suggest, take the close house, live in San Pedro, or keep looking (if i do, where do you recommend i look that will allow a dog and still has a reasonable commute?).

Caveat: i have till Sunday 15th to let the people in Del Aire know i want their place.

I'm from South Bay but my reply might be too late. It all depends on how much you're getting paid and when is your usual starting time. Fort MacArthur is a nice place, beautiful and near the beach. It is a bit far from the 110 (I'd say about 10 min) but 110 North isn't too bad in the morning. And the section of 405 North you'll be traveling shouldn't be that bad either as long as you get on it before 8am.

To be honest Del Aire isn't that great of an area. I know there are lots of new developments but the neighborhood is really a weird mix. One minute you're in what seems like a decent part of town but a couple blocks later you feel like you're in the ghetto. Westchester or Playa Del Rey are much better in my opinion (if you can afford it). Also it looks like properties closer to the beach will be more likely to allow dogs. Good luck.

I would just take base housing for now then get a feel for the area. Everyone has their own definition of bad or "ghetto". Base housing is free. Take your time. Your in SoCal now your going to have to learn how to "chill". :)
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm from South Bay but my reply might be too late. It all depends on how much you're getting paid and when is your usual starting time. Fort MacArthur is a nice place, beautiful and near the beach. It is a bit far from the 110 (I'd say about 10 min) but 110 North isn't too bad in the morning. And the section of 405 North you'll be traveling shouldn't be that bad either as long as you get on it before 8am.

To be honest Del Aire isn't that great of an area. I know there are lots of new developments but the neighborhood is really a weird mix. One minute you're in what seems like a decent part of town but a couple blocks later you feel like you're in the ghetto. Westchester or Playa Del Rey are much better in my opinion (if you can afford it). Also it looks like properties closer to the beach will be more likely to allow dogs. Good luck.

Yep...good advice. Del Aire is sketchy for sure. Traffic from Torrance to El Segundo is murderous, might as well commute from San Pedro.

I lived in the apt. complex right across the street from Ft. MacArthur. In the span of 6 months there were 2 murders (shootings) about 1 block away, plus they broke into my girlfriends car parked on the street.

Playa Del Rey is crazy expensive and few vacancies. I'd recommend Westchester, Culver City...probably find something with a yard. Maybe North Redondo close to Aviation Blvd is a good call too.

IF YOU ARE BLESSED...you might get really lucky and find a rare vacancy in El Segundo or Manhattan Beach! But those are like gold. lol

Ft. Mac is recently remodeled IIRC. Should be nice housing...just don't venture out at night to the local joints;)

Figure if you leave Ft. Mac at 6:30 you'll likely be at the base by 7 or 7:15. Someone correct me if I'm way off on this one.

I don't think I saw how long you will be out in LA. I would say just go to base housing for now. Then hook up with one of the local member. We could show you around. From what remember when I was in the Usaf. We didn't make that much and the places you named are rather pricey. Just a thought.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Yeah the cost of living in the South Bay or L.A. is extreme. I was wondering the same thing how the pay can be enough to survive. As is a lot of people here spend half their paychecks on just rent alone.

I'd also recommend Ft. McArthur base housing. The Air Force has good security to protect the base. Just be careful in San Pedro. Some neighborhoods in the surrounding area are notorious gangster hoods. But you can walk to some nicer spots Cabrillo Beach is good, etc.

I don't think I saw how long you will be out in LA. I would say just go to base housing for now. Then hook up with one of the local member. We could show you around. From what remember when I was in the Usaf. We didn't make that much and the places you named are rather pricey. Just a thought.

I'll be in LA for 4 years. Most of the people that work on base live in the areas i mentioned. I'd like to hook up and see the many shops you guys have for Subies. Also lookin forward to doing trackdays at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs.

no problem. It wil give us another reason to have a meet. :) See you when you get out here. I'm like 10 minutes from San pedro. Good Luck

Ditto here with Bryan's (itsme) comment about staying on base. Pedro as a whole has really gone down the toilet in recently years.:( Generally speaking you want to avoid going east of Gaffey as you get closer to the 110. South Pedro can still be very nice, though.

Yeah that's the part of San Pedro that is real bad and dangerous. I only lived there for a short while but there were 2 fatal shootings only a few blocks from the base. Probably rival gangsters or hoodlums.

Archived