LegacyGT.com

Possible to replace stock head unit with aftermarket?

MrGrinch

Hi,

EDIT: Mods and everyone sorry for posting this in the wrong section and not searching before posting. I must look like an idiot, sorry.

Still trying to decided between getting a wrx wagon and 2.5 GT legacy. One big thing I've noticed about the 2.5 GT legacy that disappoints me is that the stock stereo head unit does not look like it can be easily replaced with a aftermarket head unit. Has any one looked into replacing the head unit. I ask because I have a Phatbox mp3 player and a Kenwood head unit from my old car that I would really really like to use (esp the 20 GB Phatbox). I'm hoping that there is some way to replace the head unit with out too much difficulty.

Thanks,

MrGrinch

So continuing on the I'm an Idiot path I forgot to mention that I am talking about the 05 2.5 GT which, from my reading all the relevant threads, will not happen without allot of work due to the integrated climate control circuit board in the stock head unit. Bummer. Do you folks think it will ever be possible or should I just forget about it?

It's so stupid that the WRX head unit is replaceable but the 2.5 GT is not!!!

My apologies again,

MrGrinch

ps: I've edited the parent post to be clearer on what year I am asking about.

Yeah...but you could use an FM Modulator to hook up the Phatnoise if you wanted to. Then you would have to add the remote option for it unless it already has a FM Modulator and then you are golden.

Oh yeah...Kenwood bought out Phatnoise so you would have to get an FM Modulator or do centerpunch's iPod splicing to get it to work which would work for the Phatnoise as well but you would still need the external remote to control it.

Archived