LegacyGT.com

e-brake question

Paul G.

On my previous vehicles, I've avoided using the e-brake to park when it's cold and wet, to avoid the brakes freezing on.

On the Subie, does the e-brake actuate the rear discs, or is it on the driveshaft? If it is on the shaft, is it internal? What I really want to know is--do I use the e-brake in this crappy, wet winter, or not?

P.

When I picked up my LGT on 12/27 they did a quick detail job, ran it through the car wash then parked it out front. When I went to hop in and leave I let down the e-brake slipped the clutch and it just bogged right down. It actually took giving it a lot of gas to break free. So... yes it can happen, though my case was extreme having come from being soaking wet to sitting in 0 deg. weather.
.o0O0o.

Mine froze up on me once...washed at lunch, parked it for the afternoon while I worked, and it was frozen solid when I tried to leave. Of course, it was about -5 at the time and I should have thought of that. It took some force (read: rpm's and a popped clutch) to break free, but nothing too substantial.

Now, if I could just get the rear windows to thaw out, they might actually roll down again....

Yes, your center differential will hate you for it :p . This isn't a good idea in most awd cars, as you are locking up the rear tires, which are connected to the still moving front tires through your center diff. Some cars like the evo or new mazdaspeed 6 (STI?) are able to open the center diff and allow you to use the e-brake as such.
.o0O0o.

I'm not a diff expert, but I think you need a clutch style center diff to make this work. This type of differential can be totally disengaged. Coupling this with the switch on the e-brake you can have the car disengage the center diff when you do your rallystyle e-brake hairpin turn :D
.o0O0o.

Archived