LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy?

EidolonSix

interesting render, but it looks too much like a current legacy photochopped, rather than a refreshed design.

chopped side-sill, Audi fog light openings, and toyota headlights, and a chopped in B-pillar.

I am thinking it is a figment based on the current model, rather than a real indicator of what is to come.

I think we'll be seeing more Exiga in the 2010 Legacy than this.

I dunno that "up-market" is required. A Subaru isn't supposed to be a BMW, it is supposed to be attainable by most working middle class people, costing less than 25% of their annual income to pay for and maintain for a year. Possibly WELL less than 25% in a 2 or 3 vehicle household.

Subaru isn't an exclusive premium brand. It is a very good, reliable, quality brand, but it operates at lower, affordable price points. If they try to go after "Up-Market" too much, they are going to fall flat on their face, considering how their current products are optioned, and supported. Customer support quality isn't changing now, so I don't see it taking a giant leap forward into BMW/Audi/Infiniti territory for 2010. The products are good, but at any level above where Subaru is now requires more involvement from SOA and dealers to make sure buyers are treated well during and after the sale, and that the product is much closer to what the buyer particularly wants.

BMW, Audi, lower end of Lexus, Acura, maybe even Saab or Volvo, and others will kick Subaru's rear in terms of customer support, and option availability. Subaru is not geared up to be a premium brand anytime soon. I don't begrudge them that, and hope that they just improve to being a very good mainstream alternative brand in the segments they are in now.

I just don't want them to make the new Legacy worse than the current one. It should IMPROVE, not get uglier, or less practically attractive as a product. You should be able to get more for your money as things get refined and as they can provide more value.

Yup....reminded me of a Camry super-imposed on the current gen legacy. Then again, toyota's influence over Subaru design scares me. The tinny, cheap hard plastic Toyota door feel on the new impreza and foresters have me weeping for the future of the Legacy.

I'm kinda liking the new look.:hide:

The pinstripe line above the door handles kinda makes it look like a BMW and the bumper looks fairly agressive, not for those who are going with an FMIC though. The new rims are a nice addition.

The lights arent the best, but I've seen worse. And it almost looks like the doors arent pillarless anymore, which would suck and actually turn me away from this car just for that reason alone. Love my pillarless doors. Not too sure about the big flare at the bottom of the doors on the side either, maybe more subtle rather than so jagged. But overall its not that bad IMO.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Guest heightsgtltd

Looks nice. More evolution than revolution.

I feel that there is a little wiggle room to go upmarket, but Subaru doesnt have a separate luxury brand (e.g., lexus for Toyota), nor is it a stand-alone luxury brand like BMW.

Truth be told, I would be happy with what I have now, just with better fuel economy, some more power, more options; all things I would be willing to pay a bit more for than I did for this one.

I actually like the way the current LGT looks, and think its lines are pretty distinctive, especially in profile

I wouldn't mind if the 2010 Legacy took some styling from the Exige, but as a whole it's not doing it for me.

Here's the best looking rendering I've seen....

I would def have to see that in real life before I could try to appreciate it. Cause the rendering is ugly as hell to me. Its like they tried to make a space ship outta the legacy wagon. lol

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Looks nice. More evolution than revolution.

I feel that there is a little wiggle room to go upmarket, but Subaru doesnt have a separate luxury brand (e.g., lexus for Toyota), nor is it a stand-alone luxury brand like BMW.

This notion that there needs to be a new brand established to make an upscale product is wrong.

Honda with he new Accord for example, is so well done it borderline negates any need for the TSX. And this was done without a massive increase in price over the previous generation.

The Euro Mazda6 is another example of bread and butter brands pushing their flagship sedans into a higher caliber market without breaking the bank.

The sides reek of 3 series which is a welcome addition. The front.... no new grille means that they would be taking a step back? The wheels look like they're off a Speed6 (ugh) and I would hope the hood scoop gets the WRX treatment with a larger mouth. Overall, good baby steps but nothing terribly exciting.

Yup....reminded me of a Camry super-imposed on the current gen legacy. Then again, toyota's influence over Subaru design scares me.

Do you not see Subaru copying Toyota's designs in the past?

1995 Corolla = GC Impreza http://www.marque.com.au/usedcars/images/1994%20Toyota%20Corolla_01%20(Sprinter).jpg

1998 Bugeye Corolla --> 2001/2 Bugeye Impreza

http://www.marque.com.au/usedcars/images/1998%20Toyota%20Corolla_2.jpg

2001 Crosseyed Corolla ---> 2003/4 Crosseyed Impreza

http://www.oeshop.com/products/corolla/312-1148-as.jpg

2002 Camry ---> 2004/5 Legacy

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mytightride/2002Camrywing.gif

So what part of the current Camry be in store for the future Legacy design? :lol:

heres the other picture/rendering, from Car Top magazine

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm68/JPCN/Subaru/Sub_Legacy_B4_s.jpg

looks almost like a refresh to me. but again these are speculation.

Obviously it is a refresh. Only minor tweaks compared to the 2008-2009.

The only way this is a 2010 is that Subaru has decided to postpone the completely new model. Could it be?

Look at the new BIG Accord, a car whose design was obviously frozen before the current runup in gas prices.

Could it be that Subaru has decided to postpone the new Legacy to make it better suited to high gas prices? (lighter, not larger...)

It's possible it has been pushed back given Japan usually see the newer models a year ahead of the USDM. Anyone seen pics of the JDM '09 Legacy? That is probably a good indication of what we'd get in 2010.

I really like the current look. I think modern styling has gotten too aggressive. BMW and Cadillac are prime offenders. I like cars that are smooth and streamlined, a bit understated with good aerodynamics. I don't like the block look of many modern cars, or the bloated convex look. Why redesign the leggy at all? Just try and trim the weight and give it better innards. Cars should distinguish themselves by the quality of their build and engineering, not how ostentatious the design is, or what designer is trying to make a name for himself.

Mark my words.

These are photochops of the current model. The re-design is not this, it will be more of a departure from the current bodywork. It will likely look like a sedan version of the Exiga, and nearly as ugly as the new Acura TSX.

The Exiga coming out now *IS* the year-earlier offering, and allows them to ramp up Legacy and Outback production on the same chassis points, and Subaru will magically start introducing "Legacy and Outback at the same time for the global market."

They have been hinting at that for a while, as well as the few months lead on the Forester between Japan-ROW, and the USDM model, and the near-simultaneous Impreza introduction before that. Tribeca is NA only, so it doesn't really indicate much.

But the renderings are nothing more than wishful thinking and photoshop time, based on the current car.

I really like the current look. I think modern styling has gotten too aggressive. BMW and Cadillac are prime offenders. I like cars that are smooth and streamlined, a bit understated with good aerodynamics. I don't like the block look of many modern cars, or the bloated convex look. Why redesign the leggy at all? Just try and trim the weight and give it better innards. Cars should distinguish themselves by the quality of their build and engineering, not how ostentatious the design is, or what designer is trying to make a name for himself.

if you don't like the hard blocky look, nor the convex bloated look, are you going for Concave? sunken in body panels?

I like the current Legacy, as well, and don't think they'll improve upon it. But most of the market lives on periodic refreshing. Cars like Saab 9^5 that don't get styling updates are usually left behind.

Personally, I think the new Lincoln is too soft, and the Cadillacs are very nice, but any sharper, and they would be edged weapons. I like the new CTS, but not the CTS-V so much.

I also kind of like the Hyundai Genesis, although it is a bit "soft" for me, as it is intended to be a general premium car, not a true performance sedan.

Mark my words.

The Exiga coming out now *IS* the year-earlier offering, and allows them to ramp up Legacy and Outback production on the same chassis points, and Subaru will magically start introducing "Legacy and Outback at the same time for the global market."

We will soon know if this is the case. Official Exiga launch is about one week from now AFAIK.

If the the Exiga has a longer wheelbase and slightly larger dimensions than the current Legacy, you are probably right. If it is more Impreza/Forester sized, then it is basically another set of clothes for that smaller platform.

The exiga is bigger than the current legacy/OB wagon.

Look at the photos. The side mirrors are the same as current, look how small they look on the Exiga, and the 17" wheels look tiny, as well.

It is between the current Outback wagon, and the Tribeca CUV size. Probably as tall inside, but rides lower, and narrower than Tribeca.

Archived