LegacyGT.com

1998 Subaru 2.5 Gt Help!

Hey guys,

I am not a mechanic, I dont know much about cars but I have a 98' legacy 2.5 gt limited black on black tinted and I would love to upgrade it but in a cheap manor.

Right now I am getting a back strut and two front tie rods taken care of ranging to 300$.

I am looking for something that would cheaply upgrade my cars performance. Someone has told me about taking away the cat and throwing a pipe in.

Well dude if you want to go cheap, theres not a whole lot you can do without the knowhow. Aftermatket parts are kinda pricey on these cars. You can cut the cat out and put on a flowmaster but you still have the tiny kinked up stock pipe thats holding back a lot or you can make a cool-air intake out of 3 in exhaust pipe. If you want cheap you need to make almost all your own parts.

If you're looking for noticeable power gains from a non turbo 2.5 save your money. Nothing short of a turbo kit is going to give you more than a few of WHP.

how much is the turbo to install and buy for my 98? I love this thing i just wanna make it better, what do you mean about the cold air intake with exhaust pipes? id have to have someone do it for me because i do not know how to workout my car.

should i buy a universal cheap cold air intake system? and have someone install it.

No. A CAI has a good chance of killing your mass air flow(MAF) sensor in that car. I remember when I had my '00 Impreza a lot of '98 2.5RS owners had MAF issues with intakes. You'll also effectively gain nothing but noise and potentially lose low end torque.

A turbo kit is ~$4000 plus installation but you'll also need better brakes and suspension to handle the extra power.

what about some kind of new exhaust? i just do not want to spend alot of money on the car, a turbo kit would be nice but its not up my alley right now. if there is anything possible else i could install to upgrade the car that would be nice.

CAI and a new exhaust is about all you can do for cheap (2.25" max for the exhaust is the general consensus, otherwise bye bye torque)

If you want to spend a bit more money. buy a turbo engine. Yeah, nuf said.

No reason it shouldn't. Impreza's and legacy's have pretty much the same engine bay. Heck, your right front strut tower will have the bolt holes on it for a boost control solenoid bracket!

So much has been posted on the lack of available power upgrades, that I will not try to repeat here.

Do search in the NA forum and you'll see what I mean.

Without going turbo, your money is better spent on suspension and tire upgrades.

O.

I have two 98s and 1 99 and frankly, I'm not spending a dime on "output" upgrades, because, as others have amply indicated, you can't do much of anything to improve the stock motor. You definitely don't want to bolt on a turbo upgrade to the existing motor as it's not setup to handle anything but very low boost ~ 5-6 psi due to its limited internals and high compression ratio. If you want power, put a turbo motor (90-94 Legacy 2.2T, 02-05/06+ WRX 2.0T/2.5T, 04+ STI and FXT 2.5T, 05+ LGT/OBXT 2.5T) in it.

Put any and all $$ towards brakes, tires and suspension/handling so you can really take advantage of the lower-output AWD system. Just my .02 worth. YMMV.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...

I put my hard earned $$$ into a Cusco rear adj. sway, new brakes and tires. Make the car able to turn faster, and you can go faster.

If your want a easy n cheap Short ram intake, buy a cone filter, and i think Pep Boys has an adapter plate that goes from a MAF to a lil pipe that will fit the cone filter. I had to drill new holes in the plastic of that adapter (easy enough), then use the bolts from the airbox (i took mine out), and you're all set. I can post pics if you'd like.

If you want to know about suspension upgrades let me know. I replaced almost all of the suspension components on my car and I have the exact same car as you.

best intake strategy is the hybrid ebay pipe, stock box, panel filter, snorkus (gasp!)

Yeah - without the snorkus, and with the stock airbox to intake ridged plastic pipe, you get a funky transient noise. Not fun.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...

like said the CAI and the stock MAF will only really change the sound and not add much HP

I have aftermarket weapon MAF changes the air fuel ratios so that the car is actually running for a cold air intake, not a stock intake jerry rigged into a cold air intake......

Archived