LegacyGT.com

how often a car is washed, does it matter?

I've seen that happen on non-painted aluminum rims. They get "baked" on debris from the heat of the road and braking.

I would think painted ones wouldn't have that much trouble.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

It is painful to read that some of you are going months without washing your car. Washing the car is exactly like brushing your teeth. The more often you do it means the less damage everything you get on your car can cause. If you go a long time in between washes then a sort of plaque will build up that will not wash off and will require a more detailed cleaning. The way a dentist polishes your teeth is very similar to the way a detailer polishes your paint. In fact, even if you brush your teeth on a regular basis, what do you still need to schedule every six months? Why not get your car polished at the same time that you get your teeth polished?

If you aren't washing your car every couple of weeks, and are in fact going a couple months between washings, then it isn't likely that you are getting it waxed and protected very often either. That is also unwise. Waxing/sealing the car isn't just for looks. It protects the paint from contamination that WILL cause clearcoat failure and WILL cause oxidation and WILL cause your sex life to suffer. Maybe you can deal with clearcoat failure and oxidation, but how will you feel when you haven't been laid for five years and you realize it is because you don't give a crap about your car? Huh? Huh? Think about that Mr. "washing my car costs too much money and takes too much time". :D

You don't have to use the two bucket method to get good results. It is just a method to help avoid swirling the paint due to dirty water. If you are going two or three months between washes then there is a lot of crap on that paint that you don't necessarily want to be dragging across the whole car. Another bucket of clean water to rinse the mitt off in, or simply rinsing it off with the hose once in awhile, will go a long way to protecting the appearance of your car.

If you say that you don't care about your car's appearance and it is just a vehicle to get from point A to point B, then you are full of shit. :D Nobody who just uses their car for transporation spends any amount of time on an owner's board like this and they certianly wouldn't have a couple thousand posts under their name. You care about your car or else you wouldn't be here. If you care about how it looks at all then I'm here to tell you that not washing it is a great way to really F up the paint in a hurry. The paint Subaru uses isn't that great. You can't get away with treating it like a 1990 Honda. Treat it like it is the crappiest paint in the world (you wouldn't be far off) and that should get you in the right direction. Water restrictions or not, I would spend the couple of bucks it takes to spray the paint off once in awhile so you can at least avoid irrepairable damage. I see it every day and more times than not the damage is caused from neglect rather than by accident or poor paint quality.

Ok, rant over. :D I'm just a concerned guy who knows what happens when you stop washing the car. Trust me... this paint can't take too much abuse. Keep the paint washed if nothing else. Or don't... Whatever you do is fine with me. Just don't expect me to keep quiet when people talk about all the ways they neglect their paint. Not many things will fire me up quicker.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I wash at least once a week with the coin-op wash and when i have time, or am at home where i have access to a hose; I do the scrub down. we have a powerwasher sometimes i just spray it with that if im in a rush but it gets washed pretty much once a week. I use the spray on wax which cant hurt either and dry with a shamoo shamoie however the hell you spell it

Glad to see I'm not the only perv who goes to them :lol:

I always support the high school girls' volley ball team.

Not the field hockey team though....

I usually take that opportunity to hang my banner up that says "Real Car Wash! Only $15 and $5 gets donated to the cheerleaders and the other $10 is given to strippers." What can I say? I'm a generous kinda guy. :D

OCDETAILS BLOG

I cant have my car hand washed, or hand wash it myself, so I'd rather it go w/o any treatment than proper treatment. I HATE thise drivethrough washes. The "touch" washes beat your car to hell and the touchless washes dont actually wash off the grime you get from driving.

I am still trying to find a detail place in the west ATL area that will actually do DETAILING.. detailing is not washing my car for me at a drivethrough and charging me $50 for it.

I have my car detailed and waxed twice a year. I have to drive ~200 miles to have it done tho.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Getting a full polish and wax at a good detailing shop is the best 250.00 one can spend on a car.

Problem is I only do this once every couple of years.:redface:

Maybe if I was single again I could spend a couple hours every weekend on the wagon. Not anymore.

It takes some reorganizing of the time, but it can be done. I've got a wife and three kids in addition to a full time job that typically requires 45 to 50 hours a week, 12 credit hours of school, and two part time gigs that take up around 10 to 15 hours a week. I still find time to keep the SUV and sedan in my stable washed every other week or so (in the summer you can go longer because it is just dusty and they don't get very dirty. Bird bombs are washed off right away with QD that is kept in the car.) Honestly, if I can find the time to wipe the cars down a couple times a month, then anybody can.

That schedule is one of the reasons I got rid of the Legacy. That car was taking way too much time to keep looking nice. That 'OCD' part of my name isn't there to be clever. It is a reality. lol It is much easier to be less OCD about silver and grey vehicles.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah my Regal Blue Pearl is a pain to keep clean. I feel a need to wax it everytime I wash it. We use well water which leaves a billion white spots after rinsing because of the mineral deposits, so I almost have to go to a car wash everytime I want a wash, which is once a week at least. Also, I head off to work around 3:30 in the afternoon, and I usually work 10 days in a row, which means I have no chance of detailing my car in the shade during that time.

Archived