LegacyGT.com

Couple quick STS install questions

Zed 2.0

I finally managed to find some snap ring pliers (note: Chicago Home Depot, you suck) and am going to put in my Cobb STS but have a couple questions that weren't addressed in either FAQ.

One of the FAQs mentions that it is possible to rotate the metal shifter trim 180 degrees to avoid having to cut or grind it, but still be able to engage all the gears easily. Can anybody confirm this? If so, in what direction should I rotate it?

Second, it seems like most the problems people have with their STSs comes from not getting enough grease on the new shifter ball. I'd like to put on some extra grease. Does anybody know what the OEM grease is? I'm hoping it's just regular white lithium.

Thanks-

1. I found needle nose pliers were much more effective than snap-ring pliers, but probably cause I bought a junky set from Autozone.

2. I don't think you can rotate the metal plate as it has holes for securing the center console side trim panels. I would just cut the plate if you are looking for extremely short throws... I set mine to be just shy of the plate and I'm perfectly happy with it. You'll see what i mean when you get in there.

3. Not sure about the ball pivot grease, but I had to throw a bunch of the lithium grease in the bolt pivot point because the shifter would rattle when coasting @ ~3000rpm. I was able to salvage most of the grease from the stock shifter by scraping it off with some stiff card stock paper and reapplying it to the cobb unit.

Best of luck!

Thanks! I see what you mean about not needing to trim the plate--I don't think I'd want to set the shifter so short that it could hit the plate anyhow. I did find that I had to trim the rubber/foam insulation that goes between the shifter bootie and the metal plate, as it was hitting the shifter in 2nd, 4th and reverse.

I'm also very glad I bought extra grease too. Not nearly enough on the OEM ball.

Archived