LegacyGT.com

Cleared tail lights

leggtnut

A few LED arrays is my long term goal, but this is what I have got for now. And it is still only a test unit.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I will do a full write up when I settle on my final one and take tones of pics for all to enjoy :D

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 2 weeks later...
can you clear just the top and leave the rest of the light red? (for amber turns)

ask and ye shal recieve

102_5476.jpg.c2881d1f095112932878b3f89a0c3288.jpg

102_5477.thumb.jpg.053f8ab0fd3ad149bb63640e96626fdd.jpg

102_5482.thumb.jpg.1845a85eaef9502348e0bfed7acc2b18.jpg

102_5485.thumb.jpg.bdef82959de209a5a89ca6b0a94eb5f5.jpg

102_5486.thumb.jpg.03e1e554d1549f1dc19b877bf6c2077d.jpg

Subaru Ambassador PNW

nice, do you need to keep that red ring around the turn signal? It looks pretty good though, I'd like to see some pics installed on your car. Good work! If I do this, I think I'll get rid of the red ring on top.

I was debating to do the ring or not. I was looking at it and just thought it would look a little odd if the red came up next to the reverse and turn signal. Since we have a reflector next to it.

I saw a fiew Mercadies with a simular red ring, but they had a amber lense in there.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Looks great!

I liked both the earlier version, as well as this one.

Not sure how this would look on a darker-colored LGT, though, but on the silver (and I'd also imagine white and red), I really think it looks awesome.

----

In terms of LEDs:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31502&highlight=rear+fog

From my post #7 in that thread, I think that the "5 Watt" (3W plus surrounds) application here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/1156-xLX5.htm

- should work well for "end-on" visibility.

However, as darkfox said on page 2 of this thread, a lack of "radial firing" is going to be problematic in that your lighting "fill" will suffer greatly, and off-angle visibility is going to be pretty bad.

Anything less in terms of "power output," like I said in post 19 of the rear-fog project thread above, is just not going to cut it - either end-on or in terms of off-angle/side "fill." The one I used in that particular post, IMHO, cannot safely be used in any tail-lamp application (turn-signal, brake, or even just parking-marker).

The problem with the "5 Watt" solution that I mentioned above, though, is that I don't know that it can be used successfully as a constant-on application....the ad/specifications page cited thermal-shutdown issues, and that was also why I deemed this item unsuitable for use in the rear-fog application.

My current tail-light configuration consists of JDM housings, with the left (driver's) side Dremel'ed so that it houses a proper-"handedness" rear fog setup, which is supplemented "end-on" via a 12-LED array (2 sets of 6).

The 7440 takes care of off-angle viewability as well as is a guaranty of OEM-level reliability, while the LEDs supplement end-on performance. It's one of those things that's so bright, that you'd only want to turn on when there's real fog (or a snowstorm) out. ;) Gotta use it responsibly. :)

But back to the topic at-hand. :redface::)

power_getter's project deserves another look:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48426&highlight=array

If you wanted to do the strip-array conversion, it looks, from his post there, that the strips from CustomDynamics *should* provide enough light intensity for this use. However, this is hard to say, without having seen the units, as well as final-result, first-hand.

The LED arrays that he'd sourced from the Mercedes tail-lamps, though, really captures my attention.

That's an OEM application, and one which, in being from Mercedes, we know is of proper "safety" concerns.

The only thing I don't know, though, would be how the setup would look in a "cleared" housing, such as yours, leggtnut, as if you looked at his OP, in the Process Pics section, the second picture shows that the Mercedes component was just overlaid, as-is, into our stock housing.

That's perfectly fine, when the red "cap" goes back over it....but with your cleared lens, that'd look pretty awful, I'd bet!

Please keep us updated on this most interesting (and awesome looking) project! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have JDM tails I want to mod but I will test it with my USDM stockers 1st I will do some ebay trolling and ask some of my buddies that have gone with the TYPE-S tails to give up there stock tails for a decent price.

intresting idea mr_luv :)
Mr.350

mr_luv, that sounds like an awesome project!!! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I think I scared the chic in her TL this morning following her on the roads, But the top row is 4 LEDs a row of 2 and the lower row is 5 same as the top row of bars. Now from what I have seen on ebay. it looks like the Leds plug into the TL rears and arent already mounted that makes it a little easier to navigate this project just gotta get my mits on a set and get this ball moving. er Rolling.
Mr.350

Archived