LegacyGT.com

Problem with dash cubby removal

driggity

So I tried to pull out the center cubby (attached to the trip computer and vents) last night to get a look at how much room would be available for gauges but I couldn't get it out. I was able to get the whole assembly loose and disconnect the harness for the light but it there wasn't enough slack in the harness for the trip computer to pull the whole thing out. I couldn't even get it out far enough to see how that harness releases. Am I just doing something dumb? Is there a way to get more slack in the harness without pulling the whole dash apart? Has anyone else had this problem? I hate messing around with interior stuff. I'd much rather just do some suspension work.

It's a big PITA, that's for sure. I removed mine a few times and ended up breaking the retaining tab on the clock harness. It doesn't bother me too much though because I'll be relocating the clock display to the ashtray area very shortly.

I was removing the piece so I could plan my carputer monitor install. That should begin soon, right after I get the windows tinted.

make sure the vent backings one of the sides is free and out of the whole.. might need a little finesse, but once that is out, you can pitch it forward to release the bottom wire.

Yeah, I couldn't even get it out that far and it looked like even at the point that I had it it was pulling on the wiring harness when I tried to get it further out. Oh well, I'll just have to give it another try.

Where is the release for the harness to clock/trip computer? I could see where it plugged in but couldn't see the release.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I ended up getting it out. With some wiggling and pulling I was able to get enough slack and could undo the harness. Do you need a torx driver to take the cubby apart? I wasn't able to spend much time messing with it, but thats what it looked like.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Did you need a screwdriver to initially pop out the cubby? I want to attempt this but due to the cold weather and plastic's innate tendancy to crack with little force in cold temps, I want to make sure I do it right. Is there a link that someone could forward me to? I tried searching so please go easy before you flame.

I was able to get it out by just pulling it straight out but its been in the 40's and 50's here so not too cold. I don't know how brittle this plastic gets in the cold but maybe you could drive around with the heat on for a while :D No tools needed until I dissassembled it. Wasn't too hard to get out once I figured out where the release on the trip computer harness was.

Archived