LegacyGT.com

30k service questions

I'm planning on getting it done @40000....maybe.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I'm at 30,300+ miles, getting mine done at the dealership Thursday.

The dealership gave me a quote a few months ago and told me around $500.

I wanna know how crucial the 30K service is. I understand there is a lot of flushing involved, and why should that add up to $500?

The 30,000 service is important and you should have it done as close to 30k as possible. You can find what needs to be done here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

The major things are to flush the tranny, differential, coolant system, brake fluid, and spark plugs (if you are a 2.5i). All of these things can be done in your garage with a set of jacks and a basic socket set.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Just had it done last week at a dealership in SD for $525 (-$50, not requesting tire bal/rot since I just replaced all tires). They replaced a lot more than what I thought they would:

Replaced air filter, oil and filter change, coolant, brake fluid, front and rear diff fluids, ATF, and did a bunch of inspections. I felt the price was fair considering that all those fluids were changed. I just got the car used, so it was nice to see all the fluids changed up although I read that diff fluid change is not necessary at 30k miles.

We change the oil, Rotate/Balance tires, Air filter, flush coolant, change trans fluid, flush brake fluid, inspect adjust e brake and add BG 44k and of course the normal inspections for the LGT/WRX/STI.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Some of these prices are very high.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
...they 'forgot' to add the spark plugs in the original quote they gave me

I just upgraded from 1997 Outback to 2006 Outback 2.5i Ltd.

I notice that while my old car allowed 60K spark-plug change

interval, the new one has every 30K miles. Evidently the 60K

is for platinum-tipped plugs and for some reason the 2006 doesn't

use them ?!?

It didn't take me anywhere near 4h to do my own 30K (LGT, so no spark plugs). That included tranny, differential, and brake fluid flushes, air filter. You'd think a dealer with experience and lift could do it faster than I can.

I did have the dealer flush the coolant since I had a $30 coupon for it.

It didn't take me anywhere near 4h to do my own 30K (LGT, so no spark plugs)

I just called my dealer and they quoted me 80 extra bucks for Platinum Spark Plugs for a total of $650!! :spin:

You said "so no spark plugs." Am I missing something? 30K seems pretty early to replace spark plugs.. Is my dealer trying to screw me?

A dealer gets paid flat rate and many customers do not understand how flat rate works. Regardless of how long it takes to do the work, it still pays that tech that specific rate amount.

I set up my services where the customers gets a discount on labor. Which means if they buy a service, the customer is not billed the full hourly labor price, nor are they billed the full labor hours. I cut some of that off and cut some of the labor dollars off. Hell give something back to them for buying it.

Platinum plugs can be around 60-70 dollars or so depending on what your dealer sells them for.

Bastards. Thats the second time this dealer has been a little fishy. First time, I asked for them to check out the brakes because the pedal is a little soft. They "forgot" to do it (probably because my car was still under warranty.)

I'm gonna light these guys up if I see any other shit.

All Turbo Subaru's have platinum plugs and are changed at 60k. I do not know why they wouldn't know this.

Archived