LegacyGT.com

Boxer Diesel Website

Good luck selling any of those. I don't see how anyone will buy them when diesel is almost a dollar more than gas is.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I would buy one today if it available. Diesel is more expensive but it is more efficient and you can convert them to run on SVO. The engines typically have longer lives than similar engines in gasoline. And the torque... can't forget the torque.

Good luck selling any of those. I don't see how anyone will buy them when diesel is almost a dollar more than gas is.

You mean good luck selling any in the US. In Europe the prices are about the same, and the diesel gets about 40 mpg.

+ 1. Today I drove by a Shell Gas station, Diesel = 4.999/gal :eek:

Depends where you live.. Here in CA, I think it's around $0.40 more per gallon than premium.. Which works out to 10% more than premium, maybe 15% worse than regular..

If you get 30-40% better mileage....

HV

Depends where you live.. Here in CA, I think it's around $0.40 more per gallon than premium.. Which works out to 10% more than premium, maybe 15% worse than regular..

If you get 30-40% better mileage....

HV

+2. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Do the math. It's a no-brainer here in NYC too.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

This is what I wrote for feedback:

Most people dont recognize the Subaru brand, so the fact that Subaru is coming out with a diesel engine isnt going to change their world. People also dont associate boxer with a TYPE of engine rather than a "porsche" engine. So the biggest drawback of the ad is that it assumes people know Subaru and engines. What would be more effective is to tell people about Subaru and their new innovative ideas. And right now people are really worried about gas prices. Why not capitalize on that rather than just saying its a diesel. Why not say that the new Subaru boxer diesel engine gets over 45 mpg in the city and 60 mpg on the highway (estimated numbers on my part) and still remains one of the safest cars on the road. Capitalize on what people want rather than just telling them what you have. Its like giving a person living on the streets a razor and walking away. They know what its for, they know how to use it, but why? As opposed to telling them, use this razor to shave and clean yourself up and you will get a job that pays you x amount of money. The first scenario the bum doesnt know why your giving this to him, the second scenario the bum understands what it is your trying to tell him and will be more apt to react to that.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

+1

if i can get avg of 32 city i am in!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124553

supposedly, hypothetically 60 fwy!!

even @ $1 more is a huge savings! no doubt do the math!

i am avg 20mpg..

let's use 1000 as an avg monthly driven miles..

1000 / 20 = 50gal. 50g * $4.29/g = $214.5

now for diseal if i can get 40mpg combined..

1000 / 40 = 25gal 25g * 5.25/g = $131.25!!

that's an $80 savings..

now if it is priced comparable to a regular legacy.. then it is a no brainer..

80*12 months = $960 yearly savings.. i don't mind paying xtra 2 years to recoup my cost.. so.. if is ~$2k more than a regular gt.. i am there!

so after reading more..

it states that it can go ~42mpg combined (calculated from 100km/5.6l)

let's change my post to something more conservatively of 38mpg..

1000 miles / 38mpg = 26.32gals. 26.32 gallons @ $5.25/gal = $138.18..

that is a difference of $76.32 for every 1000 miles i drive. like i said in my previous post, if the price of the diesel vs gt is $2000 it will only take me 26205 miles before i start saving using diesel vs gas.

so yeah.. diesel >> gas even @ higher prices.

I still think this makes a natural engine for a unibody truck-lite, based on the new forester, rather than an old-guard outback already put out to pasture, like the Baja was.

With Tribeca or better brakes, proper suspension, and chassis structure for class III towing, and a more versatile cargo bed setup...

One step smaller than Ridgeline, three steps smaller than Avalanche, and a bit more versatile and economical than both.

With Subie's AWD systems, a good 5-speed auto, or 5-speed manual option, maybe even the low-range an hill-holding capabilities that overseas Subies get.

diesels in a car even slightly pretending to be sporty, though, isn't so fantastic. Audi's racing diesels haven't exactly made it to the road yet, they are still torquey and economical engines.

A better conceived, better executed, more capable diesel powered re-invention of what the Baja should have been would be good.

A Legacy, or forthcoming Subaru coupe for sporty daily driving, and a diesel utility vehicle for some chores, and a german mid-engined sports car for some real fun, all with boxer engines, sounds about ideal to me. Throw in a boxer powered german sporting motorcycle, and I am pretty much SET. I am fully converted, and now a boxer engine enthusiast. :D

Although I don't shun inlines or V-engines, or even rotaries, turboshafts, or any other fun methods of motivation either, though. :lol:

One thing which is sometimes forgotten and hasn't yet been stated here is a potential cost savings from the bio-diesel option. In some areas of the States, there are indeed commercial offerings from a handful of gas stations. You can get it delivered in bulk from a distributor or "brew" it yourself as you go around making your collections from various restaurants. I'm certain the Subie-D can burn this stuff for additional savings. That's a plus for me as well.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

An Outback 2.0D would be a great car for the times. The improved fuel economy of the 2.0D would make an already great car better.

A friend of mine who owns a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon is interested in a diesel version. He previously owned a Volkswagen Passat Diesel and before that a VW Quantum. An Outback Diesel would be the combination of all three of those cars.

My father may be interested in a Subaru diesel as well. He's owned diesel cars made by Mercedes Benz, GM, Toyota and Ford.

We have a 2003 VW Jetta wagon that is getting about 50mpg. Pretty sure there will be a number of these types of conversions available:

http://www.greasecar.com/index.cfm

Not a bad idea, only catch is that there is a need for heated tank and fuel components, which won't really make it feasible in the colder areas. But in warmer areas it may be a good alternative.

Not that it's impossible to overcome, but it will require more of the driver/owner.

453747.png

Not a bad idea, only catch is that there is a need for heated tank and fuel components, which won't really make it feasible in the colder areas. But in warmer areas it may be a good alternative.

Not that it's impossible to overcome, but it will require more of the driver/owner.

I live in Vermont which is butt ass cold. We are probably in a similar range for temps as you (probably for a shorter period).

I have not read up too much on the grease car conversion but they say this:

"The Greasecar Vegetable Oil Conversion System is an auxiliary fuel modification system that allows diesel vehicles to run on vegetable oil in any climate."

Now I have heard of big buses running on SVO (Straight Veg. Oil). I believe what they do is have a diesel tank and a Veg Oil tank. They start the thing with the diesel (of course you need to add the anti-gel) and the engine warms up. I think they then run the cooling system around the Veg Oil tank which in turn will warm the tank and liquify it. The you switch to the Veg oil tank and you run the car like that. When you are close to your destination you flip back to the diesel so that you have it in the lines for an easy start.

I could be wrong with greasecar and maybe they just have a straight up heated tank. All in all I think it is worth exploring and find it crazy that they (governments, enviro groups, etc) have really not exploited this for vehicles in warm climates. It isn't like the US has a shortage of grease from all the chain restaurants and fast food.

Archived