LegacyGT.com

My review of my time with the B9 Tribeca at SIA

Well, I had a very interesting day Tuesday at Subaru-Indiana Automotive. As most of you probably have known by my previous posts, I actually have been to SIA several times as I work for a parts supplier.

Tuesday actually marked the kick off meeting for the SAAB SUV that is based on the Tribeca (probably called 9-6X), but, since the Tribeca had been revealed at the Detroit Autoshow, and the website was now up, they basically have removed all of the "cover" at SIA, and actually pulled one into the training facility where our meeting on the SAAB was being held.

I too, actually got to go out in the plant to see about different Tribecas, the sharpest being a nice black one. For preproduction vehicles, I have to say that that the build quality looked top notch. I actually got to sit in (both front and back) a couple of them, and have a good feel for the vehicle.

My impressions were very good. In fact, in person, as others have said who have been to the Detroit Auto Show, the front end does not look nearly as bad as it does in the photos. I actually quite liked it. Still, my favorite views were from the side and rear (which is very BMW X5 to me). To my eye, the overall length has to be similar to the Outback. This is a really compact looking Mid Size SUV.

Stepping into the interior, you are greeted by the vast, curvaceous center stack which flows from the very sharp three pod (I would say Nissan inspired) instrument cluster, down to the very wide console, and back up and around to the passenger side door. I would say, that any Legacy or Outback Limited owners would feel quite at home in the Tribeca -- the interior materials are very impressive (like our vehicles) -- with an added curvaceousness which adds flair. All of the interiors save one that I was in were leather. Even the cloth was nice and durable looking. The ambiant type lighting was really neat. Floor foot wells all had cool interior ambiant type lighting.

The center cupholders were enourmous, and had a tremendously large, two part console cover that graciously opens with the push. The Navi screen was really cool, though I didn't get to play with it at all. I really liked the A/C temp control knobs, that, unlike our vehicles, had a nice, damped, single movement either left or right to increase or decrease the temp (they did not simply turn all of the way around with no stop).

Second row seating is generous, with a lot of headroom even with the sunroof. It had two ceiling A/C Vents surronding the DVD entertainment system's flip down screen. The Fan switch for the rear A/C was located on the back of the center armrest.

Now, to the Third row. I don't think Subaru would dispute the fact that that area, though you could fit two full size adults in there, is primarily for Children. Ingress/Egress to the back seat looked a little tough to me.

Though I didn't put the seats down, I could imagine a huge amount of utility in that back area.

Overall: Impressed. If the price is not too ridiculous, Subaru should have no trouble selling these things even in today's hot SUV midsize segment. It looks unique, features Acura/Lexus/Audi interior materials quality (even on these preproduction cars), and has a strong engine to boot.

I cannot say much about the SAAB at this time, other than what you all already have heard. It is too far in advance. However, I think anyone on this forum who has seen the new generation 9-3 and latest 9-5 and 9-7X can use their imaginations. It was S-H-A-R-P-!-!-! SAAB owners will love this one. Some nice interior upgrades as well.

I am going to work again, since the Tribeca is public knowledge, on getting our SIA tour scheduled, so I will keep everyone posted.

Rob

In fact, in person, as others have said who have been to the Detroit Auto Show, the front end does not look nearly as bad as it does in the photos.
That's because photo's have perspective. When you're "in person" you can hardly see more than 1/4 of the car at a time, the rest of off at a sharp angle at a distance. Like people saying how the USDM bumper doesn't look as bad "in person".. Well, DUH, you can't really see it in person. Try looking at it from across a parking lot. Face it, it's just ugly. What's the point in resisting? We know saab is going to clean it up.

After seeing it at the auto show, I thought the front looked even worse than in the press pictures. I was expecting there to be a small offset between the grill and the fender, a la the initial drawings for the new impreza. In person, it was completely flush with the body, so much so that it almost looked like a sticker slapped on the front. For some reason, it was very reminiscent of a minivan. I think the car has some excellent attributes and has a place in the market, but I just see more as a diamond in the rough rather than an overwhelming success.

Looking forward to the updates on the SIA plant tour. Thanks Rob!

Rob,

Do you know if SIA has started to build the 2.5 Turbo engines yet? I heard that after moving out Isuzu, part of the space would be used for building the drivetrain here in the US.

Ken

Rob,

Do you know if SIA has started to build the 2.5 Turbo engines yet? I heard that after moving out Isuzu, part of the space would be used for building the drivetrain here in the US.

Ken

Sorry for the delay. At this time, SIA's engine plant only makes the 2.5i engine. H6 and Turbo H4 are imported. There are only rumors at this point. From SIA's projections, Turbo (OB XT and LGT) production is down for the next 4 months. Maybe the supply has met demand now on our LGTs, as they were cranking them out.

Rob

Here's a vote to put the B9's three knob climate control (hopefully it works better than the reports on the legacy's system...) in the 06 Legacy and Outback, with a separated Head Unit and buyable Double-DIN plate for aftermarket stereos. That sort of interior improvement is always nice.

Just please, Subaru, don't put that schnoz on the legacy and ruin the subtle good looks.

Four months from now will be may. Will they start on the 06 production around that time? Four months down is a long time. Hopefully they do have the supply taken care of.

Here's a vote to put the B9's three knob climate control (hopefully it works better than the reports on the legacy's system...) in the 06 Legacy and Outback, with a separated Head Unit and buyable Double-DIN plate for aftermarket stereos. That sort of interior improvement is always nice.

Just please, Subaru, don't put that schnoz on the legacy and ruin the subtle good looks.

Four months from now will be may. Will they start on the 06 production around that time? Four months down is a long time. Hopefully they do have the supply taken care of.

Sorry, when I mentioned, "down" I just meant the numbers were down, not that they were actually shutting the LGT and OB XT production "down." They don't have that much supply ;)

I estimate that the 06 Legacy production (code 23v) will not start until July, after summer SIA's two week summer shutdown (which is the last week of June / first week of July)

Rob

Archived