LegacyGT.com

Crab Cakes!?

GoRilla

Guest JessterCPA

+1 on the quanitiy issue.

When I go down the shore to the Crab House, I'll only get them as an appy now. Too much work for too little food as a meal. They are good though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's my recipe (restaurant tested as one of the best around here! this is scaled down for home kitchen)

1 LBS Crab (I use a combo of backfin and claw)

1 Minced Bell Pepper

1 Minced Jalapeno

2 TBS Chiffonade Basil

1/4 cup mayo (curried mayo if you can make it!)

1/4 cup panko

1 egg

2 TBS Paul Prudhommes Blackened Redfish Magic

1 TBS Old Bay seasoning

1 TBS Balsamic Vinegar or 1 1/2 TSP Balsamic Reduction

1 TBS Cumin Powder (if you dont have curried mayo you may add a TSP of coriander powder as well)

2 TBS Chile Powder

1 TBS Chili Powder

1 TSP Garlic Powder

2 TBS Lemon Juice

1 TBS Worcestershire

1 Dash Texas Pete or equivalent favorite pepper sauce

S & P to taste (cut down on salt, the redfish has salt in it)

Condiment Of choice:

Chile Garlic Chive Creme Fraische

1/4 cup of Creme Fraische (if you don't have it combine a pint of heavy cream with 2 TBS buttermilk and let it sit out overnight)

2 TBS Cock Sauce (Sriracha hot sauce, or you may use Sambal Oelek for a bigger kick)

1 TBS Minced Chives

(Combine all these in a bowl, put into a squeeze bottle, use it on everything)

Procedural hodgepodge:

1) Combine all ingredients in bowl, fold in all ingredients or stir depending on desired texture. If you find the cake too moist simply add more panko bread crumbs (It will be fairly moist, we don't do crab biscuits, we like crusty outside and melt in your mouth inside) Check seasoning, should be highly flavorful, adjust as necessary to your liking.

2)Shape into desired size cakes (if you want to portion uniformly you may use a container cap, a disher, or various other static objects), fill a bowl with panko bread crumbs, place cake in it, shake to coat, put on cooling rack until all are done, then shallow/deep fry or roast at 425 until desired crunchiness is reached on outside or refrigerate or freeze for later use.

3) Put all cakes on a large plate, drizzle pattern of liking across the tops of the crabcakes with creme fraische or serve as a dipping sauce on the side, and with copious amounts of cole slaw

4) Eat them, CAUTION: Dangerously addictive and probably a little different than the restaurant cakes you're all used to

This sounds pretty good, but always remember to mix everything in the bowl first than add your crab meat and fold in.

Sounds good, but explain the bolded section please?

Chili powder usually consists of spices for that dish (chili, paprika, cumin, cinnamon etc)

Chile powder is the pure stuff

As to the folding in crab last comment, again it depends on the desired texture you are trying to reach with the cakes, if you desire something a little more homogenous as in the case for a large crabcake sandwich or want to use the mixture as a filling for wontons (try it instead of a typical crab rangoon filling and serve with wasabi/sweet chili aoili as a tapas or amuse, or put it inside of a salmon pinwheel with a wasabi beurre blanc). But yes, if you want good old school crab cakes as I usually do, fold it in at the end, lest you make crab puree...

Your making me really f-in hungry.

Chili powder usually consists of spices for that dish (chili, paprika, cumin, cinnamon etc)

Chile powder is the pure stuff

As to the folding in crab last comment, again it depends on the desired texture you are trying to reach with the cakes, if you desire something a little more homogenous as in the case for a large crabcake sandwich or want to use the mixture as a filling for wontons (try it instead of a typical crab rangoon filling and serve with wasabi/sweet chili aoili as a tapas or amuse, or put it inside of a salmon pinwheel with a wasabi beurre blanc). But yes, if you want good old school crab cakes as I usually do, fold it in at the end, lest you make crab puree...

Maryland's Suby friendly Realtor. My favorite suby shop:

http://www.IAGPerformance.com

:whore:

Really all those other recipes that require chilli, etc are for crab meat that is packed full of water and needs flavoring. Dungeness is insanely flavorful - boil, crack, eat - no butter, sauce, etc required.

My recipe:

1st night - crack crab & eat until you are sick of it.

Next night take leftovers and add small amount of bread crumbs, green onions and an egg - fry in butter - open dry white wine and enjoy.

Simply delicious!

I have lived on both coast and all over the states(Army) and Maryland definetly does not have the best crab cakes. The best crab and crab cakes i have had were on the west coast and made with dungeness crab. That's just my opinion though.

• 2 weeks later...

Crab cakes don't need to be complicated. Work with the finest ingredients and keep it simple. You want to focus on crab.

fresh king crab meat (2 lbs?)

2 eggs

3 green onions, sliced thin (green and white parts)

2 tlbs mayo

2 tbls thai sweet chili sauce

pinch cayenne

1.5 cups fresh bread crumbs

Blend the crab with first 5 ingredients, and add bread crumbs last. King crab is naturally salty, so you probably don't need any salt. Form into small thin patties, and refridgerate for 30 minutes to firm up. Saute lightly in butter, serve with lemon wedges.

(fresh bread crumbs are key: take 6 slices firm white bread and process in food processor, then toast lightly under broiler.)

(the above measurements are approximate, use your intuition if it needs more or less of anything)

Archived