LegacyGT.com

08 sti vs. 08 legacy GT(specB or not)

Have to agree here.

If you EVER want to carry more than one other person, buy a sport sedan.

If you have a daily driver, or don't need to worry about passengers EVER, then the Porsche is bloody fantastic.

I want a Cayman someday, but it probably would never be my main daily car.

I'd probably go with the 08 Spec B otherwise. Hard to argue with an AWD 4-door with a stick shift and a nicely powerful motor.

hmmm ... i don't worry about space , if needed i have other car alternatives to drive around .

the cayman would be my daily driver , that's why i'm buying a car like that , i want to drive it all day. i'm mostly on the road , coming home only 2 weeks per month tops . so phone , laptop and car ... those are the main things i'm counting on everyday.

now on the short list are :

sti

evo X ( droped a few after hearing about issues with gearboxes)

lexus IS-F

C-Klasse 350

Cayman 2.7

335xi coupe

saab 9.3 xwd turbo

.... that's about them at this point

scoring top are :

- sti;evo X , best performance / price

- lexus IS-F

- others

- C klasse , because of service here where i live it's a best buy , other wise ... let's say that in my eyes , and the eyees of others merc doesn't have a really nice image

hmmm ... i don't worry about space , if needed i have other car alternatives to drive around .

the cayman would be my daily driver , that's why i'm buying a car like that , i want to drive it all day. i'm mostly on the road , coming home only 2 weeks per month tops . so phone , laptop and car ... those are the main things i'm counting on everyday.

sti

lexus IS-F

C-Klasse 350

Cayman 2.7

335xi coupe

saab 9.3 xwd turbo

scoring top are :

- lexus IS-F

- others

- C klasse , because of service here where i live it's a best buy , other wise ... let's say that in my eyes , and the eyees of others merc doesn't have a really nice image

your a dumbass if you get anything other than the IS-F

too many options ... dodge challenger also came into play.

from all of them i still like best the STI , followed by lexus is-f and followed by the cayman.

the sti it is so easy to modify , the lexus is just a brilliant toy to have and the cayman it's a pure sport hearted machine .

and then and there comes the price. the sti it's about 30 000 euros , the cayman is about 50 000 euros while the is-f it's about 45-50 000 euros .

all of them pale in comparison to the sti's figures / price .

while the sti it's an easy buy without any much struggle into getting it , the others would put me into some financial difficulties.

In case you're interested, the 08 STI is built (as are all of the 08 Imprezas and 09 Forester) on the 4th Gen (05-09) Legacy platform, which addresses why it is much more comfortable.

As a daily driver, I'd definitely go with the STI (unless you can get a Legacy GT - sedan or wagon), over any of the others mentioned. Cost of ownership is going to be way less than any of the others you mentioned so, taking initial purchase price out of the equation, what do you want to enjoy for in the long-run? Reasonable comfort, powerful AWD performance, bullet-proof reliability, or something less? Just my .02

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

listen as far as performance and comfort and reliability, lexus and the cayman arent lacking in those areas either, as far as price well the is-f and cayman are gonna cost alot. Everytime you to the dealer to have work done your not gonna leave without paying close to a grand lol. But the is-f and cayman are beautiful cars, way better looking than the STI, but i also hate the new look of the STI

listen as far as performance and comfort and reliability, lexus and the cayman arent lacking in those areas either, as far as price well the is-f and cayman are gonna cost alot. Everytime you to the dealer to have work done your not gonna leave without paying close to a grand lol. But the is-f and cayman are beautiful cars, way better looking than the STI, but i also hate the new look of the STI

Yeh - I was picking up on some price sensitivity so that's why I recommended the Subaru over the others in the mix - for the very same reason (cost of ownership) you articulated.

SBT

sorry, but 08 STI is now a GROWN UP's car.

and after riding in a Porsche Cayman this weekend for autox, yes it's an awesome car, but being in that car so much or for long trips/business it would make you feel cramped and claustrophobic. :( Great weekend car, but I surely would not want it as a DD.

took a few folks for a ride in the 08 STI this weekend for autox and I can tell you that even the guy visiting from Japan with over $60K into his built 02 WRX kept saying how nice the new STI was, totally different than the prev years (which I completely agree in comparison to our 07). I chose the 08 STI over the 08 Spec because I wanted handling and performance for the twisties and more utility of the vehicle. Not that the 08 Spec isn't nice (i absolutely LOVE the new body style), however there is just no way to compare the stock handling capabilities of the STI to the LGT, even the Spec or an LGT on coilovers and built suspension. The DCCD and superior suspension far outweigh the $2K price difference.

All weekend long, all I heard was "remember, you're not driving the LGT anymore. You're in an STI... it can do it" and finally at the end of the day, I realized they were right! The car can just do so much more than my LGT (and I LOVE that car!). Most people still cannot believe that the 08 is even an STI because it looks so different, rides different, and drives different. If FEELS more like my LGT than our 07 STI any day. Even hubby admits he enjoys driving it at autox because it handles differently than his.

Go test drive them all, preferably on a windy twisting road. ;)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

From my test drive impression on a 08 STI, I felt it was jsu as smooth as a ride as my legacy. However, there is still lots of room for improvement power wise. Don't expect that in stock for the STI will be king on the streets or the drag strip.

To me the legacy is a great car to modify and it still looks like a nice car that your parents will like. The STI looks awesome in my opinion, but alot of people still arn't sure about the new design.

^^ Thank the 4th Gen Legacy for your 08 STI platform's composure and handling. It, the base and WRX Imprezas and the 2009 Forester are all built on the same super-strenghthened chassis that the Legacy is built upon.

There is no way that they could have started with a clean-sheet Impreza chassis and gotten as far as what the Legacy is already. Which is why everyone is looking, optimistically, to the 08 STI for potential uprated, suspension cross-over bits. And also why, everyone is looking forward to 2010 when the 5th Gen Legacy gets its new chassis and running gear/re-skin.

SBT

Lol another overpriced BMW, who woulda guessed it. IMO i wouldnt get any as a DD, which is what the OP needs. The STI is the only one i would consider but after driving a couple 08s i wouldnt get one. The car itself drives very nice, but it lacks power and when i spend 40k on a car voiding the warrenty with modding isnt in my best interest. I also think that the 08 STI is one horribly ugly car, of course thats all based on what i think. So if you think it looks good and does what you want it too, the STI is the best DD out of the cars you listed, except for the legacy :rolleyes:

sti

lexus IS-F

C-Klasse 350

Cayman 2.7

335xi coupe

saab 9.3 xwd turbo

scoring top are :

- lexus IS-F

- others

ok... daily long distance... Lots of miles, but no real passengers.

I would go for a grand touring coupe of some kind. Actually, the G37x Coupe might do well, but it is merely announced, rather than actually on dealer lots.

Perhaps an Audi A5 Quattro.

If you drive that much, chances are you are going to see weather, and all sorts of things... AWD might be good, although RWD with traction control is probably ok, too.

I'd be looking really hard at the G37, manual or auto, by your preference.

Whatever car you buy, make SURE you can afford all of it, because with the driving you describe, you are going to wring every last ounce out of it, and don't count on re-sale value.

I would NOT go with an IS-F for that kind of work. Too specialized, and too thirsty, when mostly you'll be cruising at speed, and you don't need the rear doors. I wouldn't suggest any "limited edition" cars, BMW-M, Caddilac-V, or Lexus-F, or the like for this kind of life. mainstream models have less unique parts to break or cause issues, and all they'll do is cost more fuel.

The STI doesn't strike me as comfortable for the kind of use you describe.

C-class isn't bad, again, do you really need the back doors? Two longer doors are easier to get in and out of, if you are climbing in and out of your car as often as this kind of use would indicate.

But I might even stick to naturally aspirated engines for that kind of mileage use, due to oil change interval strictures with turbochargers. You'll be changing oil once a month, or if you don't you'll be running dirty oil through the turbos, or causing issues. Plus if something breaks, it is longer down time and more expense to repair, to get you back on the road.

I'd be looking at a non-turbo 3-series coupe, G37 coupe, and Audi A5 coupe. CTS-coupe would be in that list, but it isn't on the market yet. Maybe a left-over GTO coupe, if you like that one. Fun cars, big enough to be comfortable, sporty enough to enjoy, reliable enough to keep you out of the service bays. GM, Ford, and Chrysler really don't have much in this market, they mostly focus on muscle-cars, which are too high priced for low content, and the fun ones guzzle fuel, and aren't that comfortable.

Hyundai's genesis is down market compared to what you are looking for. Accord coupe, and other FWD cars are boring, and would be penance for someone driving so much who likes to drive cars.

Not a whole lot of really good GT coupe options. G37 would probably be my pick, with tech package, and some amenities for a car you are going to live in, HIDS, and then just do the scheduled maintenance and put miles under the tires.

• 2 weeks later...

finaly decided and bouth a C320CDI .

that is a mercedes , 3.0 V6 , diesel , 224bhp, 510nm .

it's automatic , doing 0-100km/h in 6.9 sec.

250 limited top speed .

now time will tell if i made the right choice .

test drove the evo X and bmw 335. also some others like the subarus.

Archived