LegacyGT.com

08 sti vs. 08 legacy GT(specB or not)

hi guys,

i'm looking into getting a new car in the next months so i started browsing. i'm down to the short list : sti vs gt

considering , i'm 26, i own a legacy 2.5i , im doing around 16-18k miles / year, mixed driving , city + outside city , 60-40%.

i wouldn't like a car that i should upgrade/modify because i'm not really trusty of the workshops in my country.

so , any thoughts on this ?

ONLY if you do NOT plan on modding, I would say the WRX STI is a more complete car. It has all you need, better turbo, brembos, bilsteins, etc.

The Legacy GT, imho, needs Stage II engine mods and upgraded suspension/brake pads (at a minimum) to be complete.

Thats just my $.02.

Btw, I have heard from 08 STI owners that it is more comfortable than previous STIs. Test drive them both and see how you like them.

I have an 06 STi and drove an 08 STI and it is definitley more comfortable. Yet, not as comfortable as and LGT.

Are you trading/getting rid of your 2.5i?

Anyhow, coming from the STi side, I have to say that it was good stock but even better modded.

Two of my friends have/had LGT's. One was slightly modded w/ no Stage upgrades and one's spec B has stage 2. The pretty much stock engine LGT was good but seemed like it didn't have enough "oomph". The stage 2 spec B filled that void that the LGT seemed to lack. Both had coilovers (same kind - Megan Racing) and I can say it's pretty damn smooth with those on. Way smoother than my BC Racing coilovers

You said you travel about 16k-18k miles a year. Lets just say I'm doing about the same in the STi. I believe that you will be fine w/ the the new 08 STi driving those miles. It is a lot more comfortable and the interior is well laid out. The previous years are a lil' more "rough around the edges".

I can say though, driving my GF's 2.5i is great. Very comfortable.

Go test drive both, like hutru01 said.

But I'd say go w/ the 08 STI ;)

ONLY if you do NOT plan on modding, I would say the WRX STI is a more complete car. It has all you need, better turbo, brembos, bilsteins, etc.

The Legacy GT, imho, needs Stage II engine mods and upgraded suspension/brake pads (at a minimum) to be complete.

I agree 100% with this statement. I wouldn't have purchased the Legacy if cost effective and proven basic mods were not available.

you can't be taken seriously in the professional world with an sti though.

The legacy is grown up

Depend what he does professionally.

I'd say still stick with the STi.

If you're more worried about how you are perceived, the we all know the obvious choice.

But isn't it so cool when you step out of an STi, have a suit on, and have people not suspecting a person like yourself coming out of it.

I know I do! I've gotten so many comments that way lol.

I think if you're worried about how you're perceived, you've got other issues to deal with. I think one of the brilliant things about Legacy owners is that they don't really care what others think, as much as their own opinions regarding the purchase of their cars. In some ways, people worrying about perception is what partially got us into the mortgage mess (many trying to keep up with the Joneses) The Spec B is a fantastic car but I've got to say, I drove the new STI and it's also a fantastic car, and one I would own if my height (6'4) didn't prevent me from finding a comfortable seating position. And I would do so without any thought whatsoever about what others in my profession think (I work on Wall Street) because I've seen the egos of some of my colleagues and I am very happy that I only work with them because I find the way they judge others (primarily based on income) to be very offensive.

I'll chime in as a n00b here.

I just bought a Legacy GT wagon.

It's a limited, Stage 2, lowered on Teins S-Tech, riding on 18s with a short shift kit.

It's a very fun car with a «grown up» feel to it. Some say it's boring, I prefer to call it the sleeper look.

I do agree that with these mods, it does haul a$$, but the brakes do suck very badly.

My first upgrade WILL be pads, since the stock ones are awful, especially considering how much quicker the car is vs. in stock form.

So in the end, it really boils down to what you want, what image you want to convey, and what trade-offs you're willing to make.

The legacy all around looks like a grown up car, but wagons to me look good as far as wagons go. but in my mind wagons dont go very far, unless its got a big block and a blower sticking through the hood lol

^ I am willing to bet if you took a ride in any wagon with a nice turbo upgrade, your opinion would change. (Mine sure did)

I was a sedan fan for a long time. I actually was sold on the Legacy GT after test driving the wagon. (Had a sedan for about a year and a half before I got my wagon)

Thats fine speed and all but i have other cars for speed the LGT is my DD with some balls. Im not doubting the wagon can be jsut as fast, but even an 10 second civic is still ugly to me as would be a 10 second lgt wagon.

It does not have Bilsteins, but also KYBs... just better set up.

i'm a project manager for a DMS ... so i'm kindda in the car bussines .

the legacy was a great asset on this issue , as it raises a lot of good comments regarding the car.

i'm not sure how it will be coming out in a suit from an sti to a bussines meeting at a mercedes - benz dealer :lol:

i test drove the new 08 sti , i love it , it's so nice to drive in crowded city in comparison with the old one, the problem is that i cannot test the LGT as i'm from romania and LGT are nto shipped over to europe :) that's why i'm asking you guys , what is what and how it feels .

the 2.5i i'm trying to sell ... but it's hard as hell to get rid of it . it's in perfect shape, but people run away when they hear that it's 2.5 gas and not diesel :)

Guest adam07specB
i'll chime in too... i bought an 07 spec.B and couldnt be happier. people are drawn to it.. and i cant stop lovining this car... its quick and has a lot of upgrade to the LGT that make it feel even nicer. it is not as fast as an STI but a whole lot nicer. it is in my opinion a really nice car... the spec.B is also not as expensive as the STI... (not by much)

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah if you have a DD get it if not WTF are you thinking. First off im not sure where you are from or what your life style is but if thats gonna be your only car say good bye to trips and or space and winter driving. But if you have a daily driver then the cayman is a baller car all around.

Archived