LegacyGT.com

Tire wear from Auto X

Living Legacy

Hey guys,

Just got my Azenis tires. After 200 miles of breakin I auto X'ed on them. At first I kept my fronts at 36 and rears at 34, but then after four runs I bumped all four tires up two PSI.

Based on the pictures below what is a fair conclusion as far as my tire pressure goes?

Front Tire

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/120_2060.jpg

Front Tire again

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/120_2058.jpg

Rear Tire

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/120_2059.jpg

View from rear tire

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/120_2063.jpg

Please let me know if you would suggest more or less air pressure.

Also, a random question, some tires have a yellow dot on them, does this signify anything about where to mount this tire (I don't think so, but my buddy said that was true)?

Thanks guys

P.S. Second event, out of 22 entries I finished 4th :eek:!!

Tire pressure will vary a little from tire to tire and driving style. I'd put more pressure in the rears. I usually start my pressures at 38psi all around and go from there. I find that the car is much more neutral with higher pressure in the rear, but I have stock sways.

^^x2.

IMO the rear tire could use a few more lbs. of air, it looks to be riding slightly under the indicator mark. But as long as you like the grip you're getting, I'd say change little if anything. 4th out of 22 ain't to shabby!

You don't want to see any wear past the tip of triangle on the top of the sidewall. In the pictures of your tires they are above the left side of the E in FALKEN. These triangles or arrows are indicators as to where the tread depth bars are located. If you see wear lower than the tip then the tire is starting to rolling over onto its sidewall during cornering.

Tires are not perfectly round or symmetrical. A yellow dot in an indication of the lightest point of the tire. You want the tire mounted with this dot where the valve stem is. This is so that the "lightness" is countered by the extra weight of the stem, lessening the need for additional balancing weights. A red dot is an indication of the high spot of the tire. You want the tire mounted with this dot where the rim was marked by the manufacturer as the low spot. By pairing the wheel low spot with the tire high spot you help cancel out imbalances. If a tire has both a yellow and a red dot then the red one takes precedence in how the tire and rim are matched up.

when I autox'd on my stock RE92s, I had them up way higher, 42 fronts 40 rears, and they didn't get quite as chewed up as yours seem to have

not sure what size yours are, but I see they're on stock wheels, so I figured I'd mention it

it also depends on the size.

I personally run higher eventhough the azenis are pretty stiff on the sidewalls. It's just my preference on the GT. I run with 44 front and 42 rear cold.. once the heat is built up on them, I dont let them get any hotter than 48 front and 42 rear. The car gets a bit twitchy if the rear goes any higher than 44 rear.

Keefe

Thanks guys, this is awesome information!!! I was a little afraid at running the pressure high, but it looks like i shouldn't worry too much. I'll play around with tire pressures (more in the front verses more in the rear) to see what works best for me.

One thing that I noticed from my two events and the improvements I've made has everything to do with smoothness. I need to try to imagine threading the needle, being less jerky, and throttle moderation. I'm a beginner so all of this information will help me push myself to the next level.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks guys, this is awesome information!!! I was a little afraid at running the pressure high, but it looks like i shouldn't worry too much. I'll play around with tire pressures (more in the front verses more in the rear) to see what works best for me.

One thing that I noticed from my two events and the improvements I've made has everything to do with smoothness. I need to try to imagine threading the needle, being less jerky, and throttle moderation. I'm a beginner so all of this information will help me push myself to the next level.

Thanks again!!!

just drive the car to 99% of the performance, just not over 100% (cuz the car can't give you more than 100% of performance, it will just start to work against you). You can be abrupt just up to 99% of the time. You have to be smooth to get to the last 1%. That's what I have learned in the past 2 years of stepping up my game.

Keefe

Archived