LegacyGT.com

Leather conditioner?

voyetra8

I have access to a quantity of Poltrona Frau leather conditioner and figured I would post to the board and see if there was any interest in it... (For those who don't know, Poltrona is the company that does the high-end leather for Ferrari and Mercedes.)

Each kit contains a 250ml bottle of the cream, and a nice 12"x12" polishing cloth....

Instructions are in Italian, but the translation says:

"The cream helps maintain the keather's natural moisture, its elasticity and shine, and prevents corrosive acids and dust(?) from penetrating."

Is this something any of you would be interested in? I have no idea what it is worth, but considering it came with a $5000 boardroom chair, I'm assuming it's expensive stuff.

:)

Personally I dont and never have used any type of leather cleaner, I just use a damp cloth to wipe over everything and that works a treat.

My car is undercover pretty much 24/7 but for cars out in the elements, this may be the way to go.

Thanks for the heads up.

Adam.

I heard bad things about Mcguires, they dry out the leather and makes it crack and etc. I heard good things about Lexol (but you need to buy both the cleaner and perserve) and nothing but praises about Porsche leather cleaning products. It keeps the leather soft and smooth and also cleans!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7093

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

this is about the best thing you can get to keep almost anything looking new. IVe used it on leather with great results. Also it keeps boat interiors from cracking and falling apart. If it can handle the conditions on a boat its heavy duty stuff.

Also the best stuff to keep your door seals like new. hey and you get a free sample so you dont even have to pay to find out if you llike it.

to be honest with you, being an auto detailer for over 10 years and owning an auto detailing company for almost that long, as long as you use ANY leather conditional on a regular basis, when the car is new about 2 times a year and after about 4-5 years depending on the elements the car is in, about every quarter, the leather would be just fine. Some of the better products, possibly like the one mentioned here, you can use it less often as its a much better quality. But depending on how much it is, you may be better off with an off the shelf Auto Zone type product.

But quality can make a difference, but its just mostly if you lack the 5 mins it takes to condition the seats on a more regular basis.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

this is about the best thing you can get to keep almost anything looking new. IVe used it on leather with great results. Also it keeps boat interiors from cracking and falling apart. If it can handle the conditions on a boat its heavy duty stuff.

Also the best stuff to keep your door seals like new. hey and you get a free sample so you dont even have to pay to find out if you llike it.

Ahhh...great for vinyl.....not for leather.

I use Meguiar's wipes or Lexol.

I've been using McGuires on several cars for over 5 years and NONE of them have any problems with cracking...

From what I've heard saddlesoap is the best... you get it at horse riding places... I think harley davidson also sells some that's supposed to be pretty sick.

I've had no problems with McGuires though...

As far as the perforated leather... yeah... the soap/conditioner can certainly get stuck in there... but usually if you use a terry-cloth towel with a decent amount of pressure it all either comes off or gets sunk in.

Or you wait till it fully dries and it'll crack out... then just re-wipe the seat.

Don't know about that stuff but I wanted to post

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1006&SKU=11142

it's from Griot's Garage... They are a specialty auto parts/accessories company that service the collector market...

IF ANYTHING is good for leather... I'd imagine it's whatever they sell..

They don't actually produce anything as far as I know... it was started by some car nut who does nothing but researches products and only sells the BEST.

figured it'd be helpful to anyone who was left not sure of what products to use...

if anyone know's that stuff is not good feel free to correct me.

*EDIT*

I do have personal experience with their "boars hair" car brush... It's for washing your car and it's probobly the single most amazing washing tool I've ever used... It's great... rinses clean never looses it's shape and gets into the tiniest of spaces...

Mine ended up getting contaminated with something... I'm fairly sure it didn't react well to me using that "mr clean carwash" soap... I'm pretty sure that's what ruined it... but not positive.

*/EDIT*

I like Lexol. Good product, good price, readily available at the local auto parts store. I think someone mentioned 303 Aerospace Protectant. While it is a great product that I use for the dash and other rubber/plastic/rubber surfaces, it is not intended for use on leather.

I totally recommend Tanner's Perserve. I used it all the way back to my1999 Maxima SE, through My Saab Viggen and Saab 9-5, and now my LGT.

There are two products - one that is a clear spray container that is the cleaner (looks about like pee :)) and a a cleaner that is a solid maroon color bottle. Both are small bottles, maybe 8 ounces each.

I spray the cleaner on the seats, then wipe it off. Then, I just love to put the lotion like conditioner on by hand squirt some into my hands and just massage in. Do not use a cloth -- too wastful. Heck, it's got to be good for the skin, too.

Anyway, it is not high luster (which I like) and keeps a GREAT leather smell. I personally have tried other products. I do not like Lexol (smell's bad) at all, Meguires wipes (too glossy) nor Amrour All leather care.

Just my opinon a great product.

Rob

Archived