LegacyGT.com

Metallic friction sound?!

I started noticing a metallic friction type sound coming from the engine at higher rpm, the intensity of which increases in direct relation to the rpm. It doesn’t really sound like a stretched pin to me, although it does sound like a moving part is scraping back and forth at least every other revolution… It is fairly high pitched, I can hear it when accelerating and when engine breaking at over 3.5k rpm. I just had my 7500 mile service and have plenty of oil- I have never starved it of oil. The only new variable of interest is the recent cold; it was 5 degrees yesterday when I first noticed it, and –1F this morning. The engine is hot when it makes the sound, but I don’t know if it makes this sound when cold because I don’t rev that high until the engine has reached normal operating temperature. I have not abused this car, or brought it to the track or strip. I have not thrown a CEL and the engine performs wonderfully. There have been no modifications except removal of the intake silencer, which was at about 1000 miles. This sound is most definitely new. I was hoping one of you guys might have some ideas for me. Thanks in advance.

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sounds like maybe something caught in the rotor- I had something like that- it was a small stone that when things heated up would rub a little. Didn't do any damage, but was annoying.

Not sure if mine is the same sound, but last night and this morning (around 10 F) when decelerating I get a metallic kind of sound, I think it is because of the cold weather, makes the engine sound weird. Seems to quiet down after 20 min or so.

MistAr Jedi, I dont think its the rotor, because the intensity of the sound doesnt increase with speed, only with rpm, I have to say that over the last two days the car has pulled harder than ever because of the cold, I really that this sound is just a normal side effect of cold weather!

Thanks for the suggestions guys... its up to about 20 degrees here right now, im gonna take a spin off ot the deli for lunch soon- I will let ya know if the sound is still around.

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

Archived