LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor Malfunction

Okay so i had my oil return line replaced on my car and on the drive back I turn on the air conditioning and its warm air. I asked the dealer if they disconnected it and they said yes.

The problem I'm having is quite odd. FOr some reason when the car is cold the air will blow cold and the compressor operates normally.

When the engine warms up to a reasonable temp the air will then get warm and the compressor will surge erratically, clicking on for a second then off

then a few seconds later same thing. It will keep doing this as long as the car has the ac on. You can see the compressors clutch engage the outer wheel on the pulley and then it will stop. Its very odd any idea of what is going on?

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if our cars have one or not....

Could be a low pressure safety. If you have a small refrigerant leak you are right on the edge of having enough left to work, but almost not enough.

The pressure in the AC system when the compressor is off is high enough to not trip the low pressure. Then the compressor turns on and the pressure drops low enough to trip the safety....then the pressure rises and the safety resets....etc....

edit:

we DO have the low pressure switch

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Three sensors Fascinating.

If you are going to go down this road, at least try to know what you are talking about :lol:

It has ONE sensor, that senses high and low pressures and uses mid range pressure to cue one of the fans. Inside of the sensor there are technically TWO sensors.

• 1 month later...
maybe just buying a new one will solve some of our AC issues. Subaru couldn't have made these that bad so the AC system sucked so much......??? Or could they have? LOL.

Archived