LegacyGT.com

Bugs in the radiator & hood scoop

Is anyone out there concerned, or do you do anything about, bugs getting in the grill of the radiator, and especially in the grill under the hood scoop?

I just came back from a long road trip, and did some detailing on my car to clean it up. I opened up the hood and noticed quite a few bugs caught in the grill on the turbo (underneath the hood scoop). Bugs aren't much of a problem in the Seattle area, but traveling to the east side of the state is a very buggy place and they really make quite a mess when driving.

I took a pair of small pliers and carefully removed as many as I could. But is this really necessary? Maybe this is expected and nothing to worry about. Will they just burn off eventually, or is there a chance that over time they could clog it up?

I was able to pull a few out of the radiator grill as well, but those were harder to get to so I had to leave quite a few in there. The front grill of the LGT is so open, it's really easy for bugs to get in there.

What do you folks think about this. Am I making something out of nothing? :confused:

nah, I'd be more worried about gettig soap in your intercooler!

http://www.popular-pics.com/PPImages/no-insects-left-3.jpg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

oooooooo, that'll leave a mark!! you'll definitely need some soap to clean that up!! was that a morning dove?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

One of the reasons I want to find a mesh grill for my new LGT is just this problem. It's easy to create a DIY intercooler screen (I've done it on the mouth of the scoop, but over the top of the IC is easier), but the grill is something I'd prefer to have pre-fabricated.

A couple of years ago, we did a cross-country trip in a new car with a mesh grill. Out west, I cleaned giant grasshoppers off the mesh at each gas stop, and farther east it was butterflies. It seems to me it's just better to keep this stuff off the heat exchangers. HPH

I just cut a some pieces of gutter guard and pulled it into the hood scoop and the lower openings. Actually looks better than I thought. Looks much better than the same material in the grill. I just put in a stock grill when I hit the highway. That makes it a lot easier to clean when on the road. I'll try to get some pics.
Let's kick this pig!

Even though it's quite common in wrx, chances of it happening in a legacy i imagine are near to none.

Bagged a sparrow with my 02WRX. A bird in the hood scoop is worth two in the bush. Speaking of...

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/O/j/bush_twins_lingerie_prank.jpg

Is anyone out there concerned, or do you do anything about, bugs getting in the grill of the radiator, and especially in the grill under the hood scoop?

I just came back from a long road trip, and did some detailing on my car to clean it up. I opened up the hood and noticed quite a few bugs caught in the grill on the turbo (underneath the hood scoop). Bugs aren't much of a problem in the Seattle area, but traveling to the east side of the state is a very buggy place and they really make quite a mess when driving.

I took a pair of small pliers and carefully removed as many as I could. But is this really necessary? Maybe this is expected and nothing to worry about. Will they just burn off eventually, or is there a chance that over time they could clog it up?

I was able to pull a few out of the radiator grill as well, but those were harder to get to so I had to leave quite a few in there. The front grill of the LGT is so open, it's really easy for bugs to get in there.

What do you folks think about this. Am I making something out of nothing? :confused:

The thing under the hood scoop is an intercooler. It cools the compressed air from the turbo before it goes to the engine. Cool air = good.

Don't worry so much about the bugs, unless you really have a ton of them blocking flow through the intercooler or radiator. It's more likely you'll damage the intercooler heat exchangers with the pliers trying to remove something.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Man what are you going to do if you drive your car in the winter during a snow storm and your behind a sand truck. What if your behind a truck the next day after a wet snow and it's throwing slush with small stones at the front of your car.

What are you going to do when leaves get stock in there during the Fall. Have you ever driven by the New England seacoast in the evening when the bugs are out.

Man your going to be in deep shxx.

Get over it man, it's just a car. Drive it to enjoy it, don't worry about the small things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Man what are you going to do if you drive your car in the winter during a snow storm and your behind a sand truck. What if your behind a truck the next day after a wet snow and it's throwing slush with small stones at the front of your car.

What are you going to do when leaves get stock in there during the Fall. Have you ever driven by the New England seacoast in the evening when the bugs are out.

Man your going to be in deep shxx.

Get over it man, it's just a car. Drive it to enjoy it, don't worry about the small things.

don't forget: what if you are behind a truck carrying chickens whose feathers are getting sucked in my your hood scoop?

don't forget: what if you are behind a truck carrying chickens whose feathers are getting sucked in my your hood scoop?

Good point,

These type post real get me going. What's this guy going to do when his car gets it's first dent ?

The first winter mine ended up with a big scuff below the right head light, it's about 5 inches high by 12 inches long. The primer is black, the car is black. It's been there over 3 years now.

I think only a couple of people have noticed. That's why I don't bother to wash it between mid Nov and Mid April. The scuff blends in with all the dirt and road salt here in New England.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know, I know.....I understand where he's coming from though. I was pissed off that my cars wheel wells were looking pretty beat up after this past winter. to be expected with 90k on it, but I was still pissed and flipping out.

Archived