LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy to feature CVT transmission

Some CVT action.

cvt video by SLegacy99 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid47.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/SLegacy99/a6ff2280.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid47@@AMEPARAM@@47@@AMEPARAM@@f200/SLegacy99/a6ff2280

Pretty sweet I think, though I realize it doesn't quite count since there are 2 eletric motors augmenting that. However, I think it sounds pretty nice and thats with the crappy Toyota 3.3L POS engine.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks as though Subaru have stopped development on conventional autos - the diesel will be getting CVT autoboxes but like Subietonic I won't be getting one.

Given that Subaru have never developed an autobox from scratch - the 4EAT and 5EAT can trace their origins to the Jatco box used by Nissan - it doesn't surprise me they're using Toyota components, after all their Aisin-Warner division supplies autoboxes around the world for most manufacturers, including Ford and GM.

Ummmm....the up and coming Subaru CVT's are also made by Jatco...you can go test drive any CVT Nissan to get an idea of how they work/feel.

I wonder what the cost to replace worn out CVT bands is.

It's probably at worst, just a throw-away unit, or at best, a replace the whole unit evolution.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My wife has a 2005 Murano with CVT, and it's great to drive...it's much faster than a Tribeca, and as an avid snowmobiler, I must say, it's nothing like driving a snowmobile...on a snowmobile, the RPM goes higher as you accelerate, and it stays at high RPMs for the duration of the ride, whereas with the CVT, when you're doing 75-80 on the highway, the RPMs are back down to 2000, you just didn't feel it shift...it's quite nice.
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

My wife has a 2005 Murano with CVT, and it's great to drive...it's much faster than a Tribeca, and as an avid snowmobiler, I must say, it's nothing like driving a snowmobile...on a snowmobile, the RPM goes higher as you accelerate, and it stays at high RPMs for the duration of the ride, whereas with the CVT, when you're doing 75-80 on the highway, the RPMs are back down to 2000, you just didn't feel it shift...it's quite nice.

Is your Murano and AWD? I was under the impression that the CVT couldn't take the AWD loading so it was only being used in FWD/RWD configurations (mostly FWD).

All Muranos come with a CVT. The FX uses a 7 speed.
Thanks for clarifying. Wasn't Nissan reporting issues with the CVT and AWD - perhaps that's what I was thinking...dunno.

The FX is a full-on AWD (longitudinal drivetrain), where the the Murano (like the Toyo Highlander and the Lex RX and other car-based cross-overs) are front drivers (transverse drivetrain) with cobbled on rear-drive, so the FX may better lend itself to a traditional autobox.

My wife has a 2005 Murano with CVT, and it's great to drive...it's much faster than a Tribeca,...

I think you need to back up that "much" with some facts. From what I've heard, they're within a couple tenths of a second to 60. It probably feels faster cuz the engine's screaming at redline the whole time! :lol::lol::lol:

I think you need to back up that "much" with some facts. From what I've heard, they're within a couple tenths of a second to 60. It probably feels faster cuz the engine's screaming at redline the whole time! :lol::lol::lol:

Much faster than the new 3.6 Tribeca? That thing is darn quick for it's weight and definitely kicks the crap out out of the Highlander and RX that I comparo-shopped it with. I'll never buy Nissan again after a horrible set of experiences. When everything else was in the shop or suffering, my Subes were still going strong.

8.4 seconds versus 9.7 aren't that close according to MotorWeek...god forbid someone ever question the legitimacy of a Subaru, or you guys completely freak out...check out what I currently drive, I'm not bashing....get a life.
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

CVT = For the masses

LGT.com = Not the masses.

It will expand Subaru's market and again the hardcore Subbieholic will get left off on the sidelines.

No big surprises here.

And if this increases sales, that is EXACTLY what Subaru wants to do. No offense but we here in the "performance" end of Subarus are quite the minority.

Same reason why the new, hated-by-the-enthusiast 08 Impreza line is outselling the previous versions, because they appeal to the masses, and those masses are what makes profits for Subaru.

-mike

Personally I see in the next 10 or so years we'll be going to CVTs replacing the current AT market and DSGs replacing the current MT market.

The CVTs will be the "regular" persons transmission and the DSGs will be the "performance" oriented transmission of choice. Not saying it's right or wrong, but just think this is the path they are leading to.

-mike

Personally I see in the next 10 or so years we'll be going to CVTs replacing the current AT market and DSGs replacing the current MT market.

The CVTs will be the "regular" persons transmission and the DSGs will be the "performance" oriented transmission of choice. Not saying it's right or wrong, but just think this is the path they are leading to.

-mike

completely agree. Guess I'll be rebuilding my MTs

completely agree. Guess I'll be rebuilding my MTs

Yup and the "kids" will have been playing computer games that use a DSG-style shifter so they'll naturally slide right into them, not realizing the "feel" of a true MT car.

-mike

You know I bet there's a lot of people out there with carburated motors and liveaxles saying the same thing about fuel injections and independent suspension. At some point you do have to accept what is simply technically better. If DSGs outperform manuals, of course we're going to end up with primarily those. If MTs continue to outperform, you won't see the DSG catch on.

You know I bet there's a lot of people out there with carburated motors and liveaxles saying the same thing about fuel injections and independent suspension. At some point you do have to accept what is simply technically better. If DSGs outperform manuals, of course we're going to end up with primarily those. If MTs continue to outperform, you won't see the DSG catch on.

Agree with your logic - but I'm just old skool, crotchety, set in my ways and don't like to change...other than that, I'm a really easy to get-along-with, decent person.:)

Agree with your logic - but I'm just old skool, crotchety and don't like to change...other than that, I'm a really decent person.:)

Same here!

The big difference I think is that having a phsyical connection to the driveline via the shifter, may give you a more satisfying and better driving experience. I am finding it hard to connect with a DSG due to the fact that it's 100% electronic w/o a linkage and thus feedback to the driver.

-mike

Agree with your logic - but I'm just old skool, crotchety, set in my ways and don't like to change...other than that, I'm a really easy to get-along-with, decent person.:)

Nothin wrong with that, you know the coolest cars on the road are still the 30 year old ones that get rebuilt every summer. But honestly, who here drives their Legacy more than 5% of the time on a track, and how much is that 5MT helping you in the stop 'n go of daily life? It's not so bad, it's just the way of the world.

Same here!

The big difference I think is that having a phsyical connection to the driveline via the shifter, may give you a more satisfying and better driving experience. I am finding it hard to connect with a DSG due to the fact that it's 100% electronic w/o a linkage and thus feedback to the driver.

-mike

I still think that connection is a bit false, and just kind of a remnant of old feelings though. Hydraulic clutch assemblies, drive by wire, electronically mapped fuel injection. Connection to the driveline these days is kind of a myth ;)

Nothin wrong with that, you know the coolest cars on the road are still the 30 year old ones that get rebuilt every summer. But honestly, who here drives their Legacy more than 5% of the time on a track, and how much is that 5MT helping you in the stop 'n go of daily life? It's not so bad, it's just the way of the world.

That is true, however, in the last 7 years since the WRX has come out I can't go to a track day w/o seeing at least 1/2 dozen Subarus there. When I started to Auto-x and Track my XT6 back in 1998, everyone looked at me like "Why are you bringing a Subaru to the track???"

I agree for most folks the DSG will be fine and dandy. I know there are times I'm in traffic and would love my AT car.

I still think that connection is a bit false, and just kind of a remnant of old feelings though. Hydraulic clutch assemblies, drive by wire, electronically mapped fuel injection. Connection to the driveline these days is kind of a myth ;)

True, but I think you still get some feedback through the shifter despite the hydrolic clutch.

-mike

That is true, however, in the last 7 years since the WRX has come out I can't go to a track day w/o seeing at least 1/2 dozen Subarus there. When I started to Auto-x and Track my XT6 back in 1998, everyone looked at me like "Why are you bringing a Subaru to the track???"

I agree for most folks the DSG will be fine and dandy. I know there are times I'm in traffic and would love my AT car.

True, but I think you still get some feedback through the shifter despite the hydrolic clutch.

-mike

I dunno - there's still that visceral disconnect when the left foot pumps, the right foot lifts momentarily as the revs drop and then "blips" (because "I"m" doing it and not a program), you "feel" the drivetrain disengage, literally from the engine, while you snik, snik through the shifter gates, the left foot snaps back out, precisely as the right foot drops and you're off in another gear (up or down). Hydaulic or not, it's still mechanical, and I'm still controlling it. You're definitely NOT going to get that with a CVT. :rolleyes: Like I mentioned - "old skool". ;)

Auto wimps (slushbox or DSG, doesn't matter) will come up with any ridiculous excuse to justify their choice.

MT won't go away, unless we all drive electric cars....

Archived