LegacyGT.com

Chipped A Gear...How Long Until It Fails?

qikslvr

Chipped Gear. How many Miles Before My Tranny Explodes?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Chipped Gear. How many Miles Before My Tranny Explodes?

• 100 miles
    • 1000 miles
    • 5000 miles
    • Owner Will Fix It Before It Fails
    • I Will Post Actual Guess in Thread

I'm a little over 50K miles now and it's still kicking after about 2K miles. I'm still looking for replacement gears. I've seen the lists, but I'm still having a hard time deciding what to go with. Hopefully I'll make up my mind soon:lol:.
Let's kick this pig!

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem as you. Whinning in first gear only clutch in or out. The sound is more noticable while decelerating in first. I am taking it to the dealer next week to see if I can get it covered under warranty.

2008 LGT 10K miles.

Just make sure they don't know you are at Stage2. Some dealerships are real a-holes about modding while under warranty and will try to deny coverage. Mine is noisy with the clutch in or out while rolling in 1st, but it's perfectly quiet in neutral or any other gear.
Let's kick this pig!

qikslvr I don't think it will fail or at least anytime soon. My old man who has seen his fare share of car problems in his lifetime [he was a rally driver and co-pilot when he was our age] said as long as you got the debris out and everything else is where it should be, you ought to be alright. Of course, we assume no responsibility :D He taught me how to shift in and out of gears without clutching when we were driving with a busted tranny that only had 1st and 4th gear.

I've flushed it twice and got a little metal out, but not as much as I was expecting. I think more metal came out of the rear differential the first time I changed it than what came out of the tranny. I'm sure it will hold as long as I want it too. I'm also sure that one or two good launches at the track would finish it off.
Let's kick this pig!

SO I took my car to the dealer regarding my transmission whine in first. They said it is the Viscous coupler (not sure what that is). Warranty only will cover half due to my exhaust modifications (BS), so its gonna cost me $500. I will get the car back on monday, hopefully it will be fixed.

• 6 months later...
Just passed 60K miles and she's still groaning away. So that's 12K+ miles and holding:lol:. I may have to take it to the track once the 20g is on and just put it out of it's misery.
Let's kick this pig!

You might as well. I got mine fixed since it is my wifes daily driver. I bet it will hold, unless you really beat on her. When the dealer took mine apart they didn't notice any obvious damage, it just looked like 1st gear was a minorly scored.

Just passed 60K miles and she's still groaning away. So that's 12K+ miles and holding:lol:. I may have to take it to the track once the 20g is on and just put it out of it's misery.

I wanna be there for that. I like seeing cars break as long as thy are not mine. :lol:

I'd fix it first or you may need more than 1st gear when/if it fails.

QFT. I see Subaru transmission failures daily. I'm surprised yours has lasted as long as it has...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You've seen me launch?:)

I have 70,500 miles, running damn close to 300whp with 100+ quarter mile and 0-60 runs. I think it would have launched by now. I must have a good one. I hope this doesn't jinx me now:redface:.

Oh don't worry, I will take it to the track at least once before I get it re-built or replaced. I won't try to blast off from 4500K RPMs or anything, but I will run it out a couple times just to see how it does. I now know what went wrong last time and it won't happen again;).
Let's kick this pig!

• 2 years later...
So I guess I should finish this story... I continued to drive my car on this tranny until the day I traded it in for a F150 on 12/09/09. The funny thing is that the sales manager thought he would use it for his demo car for a while before they sold it. It only took him a week to completely smoke the clutch and grenade the tranny. So they ended up putting a new clutch and transmission in it before they could sell it. Whoever bought it still got a great deal as it was then a super clean stg2+ LGT with a new clutch and tranny.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived