LegacyGT.com

Yet another stereo install.

Helfrick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me know how you rig the venting system for those amps, I'm looking for ideas.

I have a wagon and am planning out my install now. I will be putting the amp under the floor, replacing the foam tray. The best solution I have found for cooling under cover is a 'squirrel fan'. It's a low noise, high volume cylinder fan. Put that on one side of the amp and leave a way to vent to the outside, or better yet, do two and set them up push/pull. My amp is fan cooled already, so I may not even need one as long as I can get air in and out.

CF1:

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/graphics/sgl-prod/accessories/fans/fans.gif

Attaching a pic of the gear I'm stuffing in that spare tire well. It's all sitting on the spare tire storage rack flipped upside down for the time being - will make a fiberglas insert to replace it. The best venting ideas I've come up with that don't call for cutting holes in the spare tire hatch (that could be covered with luggage) are these:

1. Make the glas amp rack fit snugly enough to be airtight between top & bottom. Cut a hole(s) in the rack lg enough for a fan or two to blow air down below rack. Create an attached glas tube (the "snorkel") at the lower rt corner that routes air from below amp rack, up past amp rack, then horizontal right towards the rt rear corner of trunk thru the 2"x4" channel in the subfloor (styrofoam). install vent holes at the junction of rt rear trunk corner & little storage area in corner. Incoming air comes from the other corner thru the left subfloor channel.

2. Same setup w/o the "snorkel" deal. Use squirrel cage blowers to suck air in from one corner, thru the subfloor channels & back out the other side. Simpler but not as trick. Probably the most effective tho.

Other ideas included venting to the outside from the well. Then I thought about rain. No thanks. Squirrel cage blowers could be mounted to the underside of the hatch, but then I've got vents that could be potentially blocked. The fan pic is from PartsExpress.com, they're only $4.

IMG_2425.JPG.cee023f3b622de76a798b09a9cb12f26.JPG

fan.jpg.b80964985a5e7b60738caa4275ac1cb1.jpg

My amp is a PPI PC4100 - 26 inches long by about 12 wide and 2.5 thick. It will be interesting to see how it fits.

Any experience with that fan you posted? $4 is a much nicer proce than $49 for the crossflow/squirrel fans.

One thought about the floor cover - cut a piece of 3/8" masonite and carpet to match. Get a lift handle from the parts counter (or reuse the stock one) and use some 16g metal mesh as vents. It will be as sturdy as the stock piece, but still ventilate a bit. My issue is that I leave the cargo tray in place....

I don't mind cutting up the hatch, but I do a lot of weekend trips with camping/biking/climbing gear & don't want to have those vent holes covered by the crap I'm carrying. Plus I'm going for the total stealth approach, so outside of a custom "stealthbox" style sub box built into the corner, I don't want any obvious evidence of a stereo install.

Partsexpress is the pro installer's source for parts. Their stuff is usually very good. Those fans are normally $30, just on sale. Dist blocks are $4, four guage power cable is like $1.25 per foot. Expect to pay half or less than what you'd pay at a shop for most anything. It's not all name brand, per se, but usually just as good or better than what Best Buy carries.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Patagonian - some feedback on those fans - ended up putting one in each "channel" just left & rt of the spare tire well and cut 1 1/4" holes covered by mesh in the very rear corners for in & out holes - system has worked out really well. Keeping the fans on low output, even these big class A's are staying cool. Any progress on your system yet? Heard you were dumping the PPI amp, that's gotta hurt.

Yeah....I sold the PPI for $330 on eBay. I was hoping to get $400, but not bad considering it cost me $400 (dealer cost many years ago). I am trying to decide whether to go JL 500/5 or a 450/4 + 500/1 combo. It all hinges on subwoofer selection. If JL does indeed put out a W6 Stealthbox, I need the 500/1, so I am waiting it out a bit. I would be fine with the 500/5 and my square removable box with two W3's for now.

here was a pic of the amp, just for kicks. I would have kept it, had it fit in the rear tray:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/PC4100.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the ventilation. In cleaning my stuff out to sell the amp and my 8081 alarm, I found my squirrel fan. I plugged it into a 12V power supply I have and it moves ALOT of air. Should be enough I think....it's dead quiet too.

That amp is a horse. Had a chance to buy a Memphis Belle the other day, but nowhere to put it so I feel your pain. I could have gotten away I think with a single fan on high output doing all the push & pull rather than 2 separate fans, so I think you're on track.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice and smooth installation, Hellfrick!!

Since I am going to replace the original door speakers as well, I'd like to learn more about the removal of the door upholstery. What is the procedure, any special tool needed, etc.?

Archived