LegacyGT.com

AP 93oct maps and Negative Dynamic Advance...WTF?

Ferenczy33

So this week I found a local gas station which sells Sunoco 260 100 oct gas. Being that I don't get to use my Rallitek and stock Cobb 93 oct maps often, I decided to try it out. Just to be safe, I mixed three gallons of 100 with six gallons of 91 to give me an overall 94 oct. Loaded up my 93 oct maps, and am now getting some pretty significant negative readings (occaisional -5.0 and even up to -8.0) but only when I'm barely on the throttle (just above idle). If I put my foot in it a little, all negatives go away, when I'm at idle, it is at dead zero where it should be. So far I haven't heard any audible knock. I even switched back to my 91 oct maps and still am seeing some small negatives where I didn't before. I am thinking WTF? Isn't higher octane fuel supposed to eliminate knock. Seems everytime I use an octane booster and now using true high octane gas, I'm getting more negative dynamic advance readings than when I just run plain old 91. Anyone else experience the same thing?? Should I just ignore these negatives since they are not appearing when I am on the throttle or at idle??

Got any logs? Make sure there isn't anything loose around engine bay as well, this can cause false knock. What does it do under WOT? Check your oil lately?

No logs, just using the AP Live Data feature. Under WOT it is right where it should be, all positives, nothing more than 6.5. Religously change oil every 3,000 and actually just changed it 3 days ago so I don't think that is it. Something loose like as in creating a noise similar to a knock??? So far its all been AP readings only that is telling me about the negatives, have never heard any audible knock whatsoever.

Wait..I typically get -KC when i lift off the throttle.

If everything is okay at WOT, it might be normal?

Not normal, I don't get -KC ever....

Rattling heat sheilds cans cause false knock. Knock at light load isn't horrible, but most certainly isn't a good thing.

I am pretty sure you do your own tuning and are a lot more knowledgable than me...but, all the stage 1 and stage 2 STI and Legacy logs I have seen show -KC on throttle lift. I am no tuning expert (obviously) but I am pretty sure -KC is common on off the shelf maps when letting off the throttle.

I am pretty sure you do your own tuning and are a lot more knowledgable than me...but, all the stage 1 and stage 2 STI and Legacy logs I have seen show -KC on throttle lift. I am no tuning expert (obviously) but I am pretty sure -KC is common on off the shelf maps when letting off the throttle.

That maybe true but it is not a good thing, I have recorded hundreds of logs and never have seen this. -KC should not be common. What this means is timing is being pulled so much it actually is taking away from the base timing table.

:rolleyes: Just like generic statements.

Until he logs we don't know what is going on. OTS maps are so conservative i'm betting mechanical.

Are you running a OTS map? :lol:

Funny coming from the leading basher of TDC...

Are you running a OTS map? :lol:

Funny coming from the leading basher of TDC...

No I tune myself.

My bashing for TDC is 20% tune related and 120% him screwing everyone over and me having to read about it.

As for this OP...I want to see logs. He also doesn't say if its stage 1,2,3,4,99 etc. and mixing in 100 oct was silly.

No I tune myself.

My bashing for TDC is 20% tune related and 120% him screwing everyone over and me having to read about it.

As for this OP...I want to see logs. He also doesn't say if its stage 1,2,3,4,99 etc. and mixing in 100 oct was silly.

Really doesn't matter what stage he is knock is knock. Mixing in 100octane isn't silly if he was trying to acheive 94 octane rating to run his 93 octane map. Also that would further limit the possibility of knock on his 91 octane map which should have lower timing cells. Logs are definately needed....

Stage 1, no mods. Just took a lunch break though and magically, no negative numbers to report. Which leaves me even more confused why it took over a 1/4 tank for the neg numbers to go away. I still don't trust it though, not going to just forget about now that I didn't see any negatives a minute ago. I plan on keeping a close eye on it.

I do need to get some logs. Tired taking some logs just using the AP dongle and Enginuity software but never could get the thing to connect. I need to get a tactrix cable. I'm starting to think though I need to go see Paul at dbTuned locally here to get a protune.

Archived