LegacyGT.com

Neighbor has doored my new LGT 3 times. Advice needed!

I just got my LGT LTD Wagon a few weeks back, and I am fortunate enough to have an assigned parking space in an off-street lot in Boston. I am, however, unfortunate enough to have a space next to a guy who has no sense of the damage a car door can do when opened with force.

I went outside this morning to find THREE dents in my rear passenger door, put there by none other than the car who has space #12. (They are all at the same height, and have the same red paint smears as his Camry.)

My car has less than 150 miles on it, and it has only ever been parked in this lot. There is no way the dents could have come from anywhere else, especially given the dead match with the paint. I realize that this is a car, and things like this happen, but the fact that it has happened 3 times is a clear indication that it will continue unless I put a stop to it.

What are my options?:

A. Call management, get the name and number of the person, and call them?

B. Call the police, have them come take a look, and file a report? (The repair will be well over $500.)

C. Leave a note?

D. Call the insurance company?

I am anticipating the person will of course deny responsibility and refuse to pay. I want to eliminate this possibility from the start.....

Help!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I'm sorry about that. I hope someone can come up with answer...I don't have any experience with this, but I don't think your insurance should have to pay (and jack up your rates).

Guest JessterCPA
I would start taking pictures. Use a tape measure. Collect the evidence so its not word against word after a few days & car washes.

What I would do is call the management, report the owner and start screaming that they hit your door and it's $500 worth the damage, say you want to file a police report and start saying a ton of crap about how this shouldn't be - new car - basically hit and run.... Demand to be compensated for the damage.

Just a thought. Or ask for another parking space and say that the person who has the spot next to you inflected $500 worth the damage and this is crap and you at least want a different spot.

- Mike

I would start taking pictures. Use a tape measure. Collect the evidence so its not word against word after a few days & car washes.

Went out to do just that and found his car gone....

I did take pics though. Will post them in minute.

I am teh pissed right now.

What I would do is call the management, report the owner and start screaming that they hit your door and it's $500 worth the damage, say you want to file a police report and start saying a ton of crap about how this shouldn't be - new car - basically hit and run.... Demand to be compensated for the damage.

Just a thought. Or ask for another parking space and say that the person who has the spot next to you inflected $500 worth the damage and this is crap and you at least want a different spot.

- Mike

I dunno that I want to scream at management. It's not their fault in any way, and they manage my building as well. (I don't want to be "that guy" if you know what I mean.)

sorry to hear that Voy. That just pisses me off. I could imagine some dumbass still on his cell phone kicking his door open and hitting another car. Even though I don't care about my beater car (1988 toyota truck). I still don't rest the door on someone elses car regaurdless of how old or dented the paint is, let alone a new car. The metal on the legacy is already soft.

I say A and C to get things started make sure you document the whole thing. Take photos and measurments paint samples. The more documentation you have the better. B = call the police I don't know if they would take time off to come down and look at the car. In california they just give you a phone call and a case # so you could file it with the insurance company. If all else fails use D or in the middle of the night weld his drivers side doors shut.........

sorry to hear that Mike. That just pisses me off. I could imagine some dumbass still on his cell phone kicking his door open and hitting another car. Even though I don't care about my beater car (1988 toyota truck). I still don't rest the door on someone elses car regaurdless of how old or dented the paint is, let alone a new car. The metal on the legacy is already soft.

I say A and C to get things started make sure you document the whole thing. Take photos and measurments paint samples. The more documentation you have the better. B = call the police I don't know if they would take time off to come down and look at the car. In california they just give you a phone call and a case # so you could file it with the insurance company. If all else fails use D or in the middle of the night weld his drivers side doors shut.........

Or he could take wire cutters and just clip off the valves on two of his tires.

- Mike

Here is the text of the note I plan to write and put on his windshield:

Hello,

I am the owner of the blue station wagon that is parked to your right, in space #11. It appears you have dented my car with your rear passenger-side door three times. (The height of the dents are consistent with your door height, and the red paint is a match with your car.) Would you please give me a call so that we can discuss an amicable resolution to this matter?

My name is XXX, and my telephone number is XXX.

Regards,

XXX

What do you think?

Hello,

I am the owner of the blue station wagon that is parked to your right, in space #11. It appears you have dented my car with your rear passenger-side door three times. (The height of the dents are consistent with your door height, and the red paint is a match with your car.) Would you please give me a call so that we can discuss an amicable resolution to this matter?

Regards,

XXX

What do you think?

Sound reasonable, you don't come off as an ass and you show that you tried to have a friendly solution to this problem if in the future things become more serious.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Rastaman Live Up

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Guest *Jedimaster*

In a situation such as this, there are only two courses of action which will yield satisfaction:

1. He pays to have the car professionally repaired.

2. You woop his ass.

Hello,

Regards,

XXX

What do you think?

That is a good letter. I was feeling for you until I saw the pics, now I am pissed! What a jerk, hope you get it worked out, good luck.

I'd freak out...

Your only chances are.

A. He's a nice guy (not F'ing likely) and agrees to pay.

B. You end up fixing it yourself and TRY to get the money back...

There's slim to no chance of this getting solved well... In boston NO cop is going to show up and make a report over a couple of dings in your door... brand new or not.

Your collected evidence means all but nothing anywhere.... even if you keep a sample of the paint he can just say you took it from his car which is parked right next to yours. The measurements might be good... pics will DEFINATELY be good... but it's going to end up costing you more trying to recoupe the costs then it will cost you to fix it.

Your other option is to claim it against your insurance and try to have them recover the costs from his insurance... again... not F'ing likely... but it could happen...

I got hit on purpose a while back and the guy denied everything to the cops (he also left the scene so there was no ability to re-construct the scene) I called my insurance company IRATE and claimed it against mine explaining to them that I wanted them to fight tooth and nail to get money from his insurance as it was his fault... He must have not reported it to his insurance or something because they ended up paying me... eventually.

Good luck...

If he screws you I say wreak havoc on a daily basis on him...

Don't cut the valve stems just let 60-80% of the air out of all the tires; he'll drive it and then he'll have to buy 4 new tires...

well if you can get the cops over, they can pull the the sample of his paint off your car and get a sample off of his.

My friend had a hit and run at his restaurant and they pulled samples off of his car and off the other car. Luckily someone took note of the other car's info and they caught her on the highway and in the end, the %@%*& paid.

I would try to get the persons info from management and then talk to the person. Worst comes to worst you could probably call the cops, see if they can pull the samples from yours and his cars. And take him to small claims court. Although initially you may get stuck with the cost for the test for paint comparison which might be expensive you would probably get that back in small claims as long as you have documentation.

On phone with insurance company now... They say that if we can prove definitively that the damage was caused by my neighbor, they can hold him responsible and go after his insurance company for restitution.

They need 3 separate estimates, one for each dent. My deductible is $1000, so I would be looking at $3000 to get it fixed if I go through my insurance. (Haha. No thanks.)

I called management and got the unit# of the spot's owner, and surprise surprise, it's my next door neighbor.

Ugh. What a pain in the ass.

No offense, but cops in Boston aren't going to waste their time collecting samples of paint for a couple of dinged doors. Come on now.

Yeah, I don't think so either.

Best chance I have is to approach the owner with my poker face, tell him I have pics and measurements that definitively prove he did it, and see how he wants to handle it.

If he wants to push back, there isn't much I can do.

:(

I went through the same thing a few years ago. I used to ride my bike to work so I my car was always parked in my spot all day and the persons spot was next to mine and they knew that because I saw them every mourning while I was leaving. Well it happened a couple times and I took some pictures and after the second time I put a note on the persons car and went and talked to them. I used to live in a condo and knew were the persons condo was. When I did go talk to them I was nice about it and I said "I understand it may have been a accident the first time but since it's happened more than twice I think your responsible for it now" showed them the pictures with dates and the newest mark on my door and told them that I should'nt have to deal with something like this and they should take care of it so I would'nt have to take matters any further. They could'nt deny it and paid for the damages. The best thing is to have the proof and be up front about it. Don't be an ass but make yourself clear. Good luck :lol:

Archived