LegacyGT.com

How many of you thought it was a mistake to get a new car?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was my first brand new car since 1992 and I'm still glad I did it. Sure, it was $30k but then again, I took possession with 7 miles on the odometer and everything that's ever happened to/with the car was done by me -- no surprises.

+1. took delivery w/9 miles and w/in 24 hrs of delivery off of truck means no surprises, no water spots forever etched into paint, no abuse (by anyone else), no oil/gas/fluids that sat and decayed for 6-9 mos, no flat spots in tires, no UV damage to trim/seals/dash/hoses (yes, some dealerships leave the hoods propped open all day), exact color combo i wanted, plus guaranteed proper break-in for better long-term durability and performance = priceless

Wow. The debate of the century.

All of my past vehicles have been purchased used. I have generally done the 1-2 years old and saved a pile of $$. Never had any major issues with reliability on any of those vehicles. The one problem with buying used is that it is very difficult to get exactly what you want. Often you have to compromise on things like colour; options, etc. Granted you do save $ overall considering these very small compromises.

My LGT is the first car I purchased new. Absolutely love it and the confidence that comes with knowing exactly where this car has been and how it has been maintained. It was also great being able to pick the exact car I wanted rather than deciding what compromises in a used car I was willing to swallow.

I think that as I am getting older I am willing to compromise less. This may mean that I buy new again in the future but will have to see.

... instead should have gotten like 1,2,3 year old one?

Let me preference that I am a car guy, it is not just transportation to me. I have specific needs/desired in a car. I spend a lot of time in the car, and I consider my drives to client sites as the better part of my day.

Also, with my current bill rate, any time spent car shopping is less time I have for family and business. Spending time going from used car to used car, not getting what I want, etc... not worth it for me..

That does not mean I would not shop used.

When I purchased the 06 Subaru Legacy GT just when the 07 were about to come (in two 2 months) the dealers were discounting them. and the 05's were not that much less and had some miles. Why would I buy a use car with 12-20k and save about $2000?

I just purchased a new 08 Honda Odyssey which has lots of features the 07 does not have, and with $1000 dealer cash and .9% financing for 36 months, Why would I buy a use car with 12-20k and save about $2000?

Now if I were going to purchase an american product whose re-sale drops like a brick? Yes by used!

Steven

Well if people never bought new cars..there wouldn't be used cars to sell :-p Actually thats how it is in russia, people don't buy new cars, they consider a car that is 6 years old "brand new", 10 years old "fairly new". Just imagine getting a nice jap car in russia, very expensive. When I was in russia, I saw these cars from the 70's roaming around, and lots of them, they just keep fixing them and run them... and on occasion you see a "new" 6 year old car, hehe.

I think it depends a lot on what you're going to use the car for. Depreciation sucks, but you get the warranty and you know how the car has been used since day 1.

If you're going to heavily mod, I think it makes sense to buy new. If you aren't really going to do much to it, and it is just going to be a Daily Driver, then it makes sense to buy a used one. Although, then you have the possibility of the being modded and abused, then returned to stock.

You also have to look at what you want, and what is out when you are buying. I needed a new car in 2005. There weren't any used LGTs out yet, so that pretty much meant that I had to either but a used car and wait for a while or buy the LGT new.

Like now if you were in the market for a super car, you should just by the GT-R new..... if you've got $70K laying around ;)

You guys understand the concept of "prepaying interest" or "points" right?

When you get those crazy interest rates, thats all you are doing... prepaying.

How?

Lets say you get 1.9% or even 0% interest, for the price of the car.

But if you got your own financing they would have given you $2,500 cash back. If you pay 6% interest through your bank, then the total extra interest you pay is around $1,600 over 4 years.

So.. would you rather pay full price for the car AND then pay some interest, or would you rather get $2,500 cash back, spend $1,600 of it on interest and POCKET $900 !!!

Gotta use your noggin! 0-3% interest is really like 7-10% once you factor in the cash back you DIDN'T get!

:)

You guys understand the concept of "prepaying interest" or "points" right?

When you get those crazy interest rates, thats all you are doing... prepaying.

How?

Lets say you get 1.9% or even 0% interest, for the price of the car.

But if you got your own financing they would have given you $2,500 cash back. If you pay 6% interest through your bank, then the total extra interest you pay is around $1,600 over 4 years.

So.. would you rather pay full price for the car AND then pay some interest, or would you rather get $2,500 cash back, spend $1,600 of it on interest and POCKET $900 !!!

Gotta use your noggin! 0-3% interest is really like 7-10% once you factor in the cash back you DIDN'T get!

:)

you can get cash back and good interest. contrary to popular belief and some of the ads... they will give you both, and I've gotten a new car well below invoice with the advertized incentive rate before.

long term test show a Legacy GT with 20k miles is faster 0-60 and skidpad than at 1k miles... so yeah, break it in for me, I'll take $8,000 off sticker price and enjoy the 3yr 36k warranty all the same.

;)

I always buy new.

my parents always buy cash, but not always new. They will finance if somebody can offer interest rate lower than what their fidelity account nets them for interest. then they save money by getting higher interest on it before they pay the loan than they would if they paid in cash...

They will finance if somebody can offer interest rate lower than what their fidelity account nets them for interest. then they save money by getting higher interest on it before they pay the loan than they would if they paid in cash...

That's very smart.

You should never put any money down when you buy a car. Always take the financing if the rates are favorable and your credit is strong.

Why not borrow at 1-5% if you are making say a 10% return on your investments? It does not make fiscal sense to put down a large down payment or to buy a car out right in cash. Make that money work for you instead and use the cheap financing.

As the saying goes in business - "Always use somebody else's capital."

hm, it's like asking - should you get a 'used' girlfriend that slept around with others (comes with all old baggage including ex-whatever and possible bad habits etc) or a virgin. Same applies if you are thinking about finding a wife. Your choice...

hm, it's like asking - should you get a 'used' girlfriend that slept around with others or a virgin. Same applies if you are thinking about finding a wife. Your choice...

got a virgin FTW here, my car is used though:lol:

hm, it's like asking - should you get a 'used' girlfriend that slept around with others (comes with all old baggage including ex-whatever and possible bad habits etc) or a virgin. Same applies if you are thinking about finding a wife. Your choice...

Except its not against the rules to 'test drive' a new car :lol:

lol

sure, test-driving a new car, not a car that was test-driven by others with a burnt clutch and messed up 3rd gear synchro :lol:

Except its not against the rules to 'test drive' a new car :lol:

I don't think it was a mistake. I like knowing exactly where the car has been and how it's been maintained from Day 1.

Besides, a car is a poor investment any way you look at it. We all dump crazy amounts of money into our cars to get some extra enjoyment from them. I feel like the ~$3k premium to drive it off the lot with 6 miles on the odometer was money well spent.

same here. 10 cars purchased. 2 were used, and both had issues that cost me a lot of money to fix. too many issues on used, I'd rather have a new warranty on a good car. Also, resale value of any vehicle is pretty important to me since I tend to swap out cars every 2 yrs (except the LGT... I've had it for 3 yrs now, but will be selling it soon).

I know exactly what has been done to each of my cars so no surprises if anything happens to it.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

:lol:

did that the first time, but ended up being a real dud. made sure the 2nd wasn't too used, almost new and so far, been pretty happy with that decision. ;) besides, he lets me indulge on my mod addiction (to a point).

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived