LegacyGT.com

Excessive tire noise..

BoozeRS05

So I just bought new ContiExtremeContact tires for my stockers, 215/45/17..

Well, whenever cornering, during U-turns, or at speeds above 50 I get a ton of noise from the tires. I've had them on the car for about 150 miles now, and the noise is still as loud.

Tire pressure is at the factory recommended psi, I had the car aligned about two months ago, and the tires aren't showing uneven wear, yet..

I'm on Bilsteins rev A struts w/ swift springs (installed by me). Don't remember new tires ever making this much noise, or the set of worn tires that just came off..

Is this normal for these tires, or new tires in general? Been about two years since I've needed new tires.

Thanks for the help.

Mount & Balancing came with the purchase of the tires, so you know what that might mean.

Otherwise, I expected them to quite at least a little in about 200 miles, but they aren't.. I'll just exercise some more patience..

Also, I'm rotating my tires every other oil change (approx every 6k miles).. Too long, not long enough, just right..??

Sounds like a good plan on rotations. Can you narrow the noise down to one particular tire or is it coming from all of them? It would not be completely out of the ordinary to have one bad tire - 4 bad tires would be a bit strange.

Seems like "tire noise" isn't really well defined, at least in my experience. Low-speed noises, especially while turning, tend to be squealing, which is either surface related (as in parking garages sometimes) or related to tire pressure. Higher-speed noise tends to be tread noise, like noisy snow tires. But you seem to be talking about both(?).

The Contis are all-seasons, and they'll have more tread noise than pure summer tires -- it's the nature of the beast. So if your tire pressure is appropriate, it seems like you're just going to have to get used to it. I suppose it's possible that they'll "break in" and quiet down, but usually tire break in is just associated with traction improvements. HPH

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update..

It's not the tires (sorry ContiExtremeContact :redface:), but my wheel bearing(s) in the front are shot (great job Subaru :mad:). At 50mph if I swing the car right & left there is significant noise in the front right, vibrates the entire dash & a little noise in the drivers side wheel.

So my only question is, should I talk to SOA and see if they'll split the cost considering the rear wheel bearing extended warranty (8yrs/100k) I just read yesterday, or is that just too unrealistic?

So I dropped the car off for new tires (without wheel bearing noise), and when I picked it up the wheel bearing were shot..?

Is that normal, because the guy at National Tire & Battery told me this was common when removing tires, the 'pressure release of the rims being taken off' can do this..??

Get ready for more wheel bearing failures, Legacys are known for its bad bearings

i've already replaced 2 under warranty

yeah and sometimes the techs never hear it and then they charge u for checking it out :mad:

Ok, update..

It's not the tires (sorry ContiExtremeContact :redface:), but my wheel bearing(s) in the front are shot (great job Subaru :mad:). At 50mph if I swing the car right & left there is significant noise in the front right, vibrates the entire dash & a little noise in the drivers side wheel.

So my only question is, should I talk to SOA and see if they'll split the cost considering the rear wheel bearing extended warranty (8yrs/100k) I just read yesterday, or is that just too unrealistic?

damn vibrates the dash mine were never that bad....

It's so loud, I don't consider the car driveable.. It's amazing how quickly it happened too. I dropped the car off for new tires, and it was like that when I got it back..

My rear view mirror rattles above 60mph.. :eek:

Archived