LegacyGT.com

How many more signs does Ford need to bring the EU and AU cars to the USA

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/24/news/companies/earns_ford.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. surprised Wall Street on Thursday with a $100 million profit in the first quarter as strong results from Europe and South America helped offset the impact of a slumping U.S. economy that cut car and truck sales in its main market.....

I mean, if they are doing well overseas, then why not apply that model strategy to the USA?

This is simple...a Ford Focus is everywhere over seas. They are large - mid sized cars there and not everyone looks at them like econo shit boxes. Change peoples views and they will sell better here also.

Dont get me started on Ford trucks.

They are hot cars. With the way the G8 was receieved you would think it was a no brainer. I think the biggest problem is the cost of the car + shipping it and certifying it.

A Falcon like the one shown above probably sells in AU for $60 - $70,000 US dollars.

A base Falcon still puts a Fusion to shame.

Heck this is the Euro Focus interior. The way Ford should have been building them here. The Acura TSX is a perfect example of bringing a small car to the US and making it a premium car.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/2008-ford-focus-interior.jpg

Falcon interior. I bought a G8 and would have def considered a Falcon if they sold it here.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R7hd0_Q8E1I/AAAAAAAAjcc/zgVuZCL0Z6E/s400/fg_6F.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R7hdifQ8EzI/AAAAAAAAjcM/drPa219xJZw/s400/fg_4F.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R7hdivQ8E0I/AAAAAAAAjcU/-PSadS0IBwU/s400/fg_5F.jpg

This is simple...a Ford Focus is everywhere over seas. They are large - mid sized cars there and not everyone looks at them like econo shit boxes. Change peoples views and they will sell better here also.

Dont get me started on Ford trucks.

Apparently the "new" '08 Focus is selling very well in the US... :confused:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/15/it-has-a-nice-personality-ford-boosts-focus-production-by-30-t/

according to a little calculator site I found a while ago, the falcon G6 T has 362hp :eek: from an inline 6! and its an attractive 4 door sedan. :eek::eek:

but with currency conversions its a $57k car :eek::lol:

1 more smiley for the hell of it. :spin:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

It's inexpensive, lots of available features (i.e. Sync), and very fuel efficient.

Fuel mileage is 24 city / 34 highway

Well thats good, but not the greatest. Corolla is 27/35. I'm not sure why we have only seen the Ford Escape as the only application of their hybrid technology. If you got it and it sells why wouldn't you apply it to more?

I am optomistic about Ford's new 2.5L as well as their eco boost engines.

I mean, if they are doing well overseas, then why not apply that model strategy to the USA?

If the ones in charge had the company's best interests in mind, they would import their best cars from the overseas model lines (Focus gen 2,3. Mondeo, Fiesta, Ka, S Max, etc) but because of politics and US labor unions, never gonna happen. The US Ford factories are still setup to build the crap US cars and importing the overseas manufactured Ford cars (altho much superior) would result in more lost US jobs. Plus maybe the cars would be more expensive here because of the crappy exchange rate?

Having said that, i could care less if Ford USA dies, they can manufacture nothing but F-150 pickups for all i care, and then the rest of the cars could come from their AU and UK markets.

The current Ford Mondeo is drawing rave reviews and despite being FWD, has handling and driving dynamics that rival or match the BMW 3-series (still considered the best handling cars in its size class)

Unfortunately ford thinks America is content with the Mustang

Plus i love how Ford loves making up excuses why their retro design still continues to have primitive rear live axel suspension as the only option because 'its tradition and mustang fans prefer it'. Which i think is insulting to modern customers who demand a little more sophistication in their sports cars and aren't just straight-line drag racing cavemen retards who don't take corners fast.

I don't care if they make cars avail with BOTH LA or IRS as options. But Ford US is cheap and doesnt want to make the investment and rely on stagnant out of date attitudes...which reflects on the entire product line.

It's still a joke that the US focus is still using the gen 1 chassis and looks the absolute worst while the Euro Focus is already Gen 3 and simply a sublime drivers car.

its funny when suvs have independent rear suspension that the cave man mustang is still running solid rear axle.

its confusing when ford makes AWESOME cars overseas in countries that they were not founded in and dont have a large market share, yet make junk here.

Think of SOJ and how many awesome parts and accessories they have and how much crap SOA filters out. Why is Ford doing the reverse?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

two words

government regulation

It stifles all of the companies in the market, and they think the only way to make a profit, is to cut features, not add them. Gotta pay for the NHTSA crash testing, the EPA/CAFE emissions testing, the DOT compliance testing, and all the fees and fines if they don't meet every last little bit, and all sorts of other things.

If companies can't freely build products, then they tend to hamper the products to the lowest common denominator.

It's still a joke that the US focus is still using the gen 1 chassis and looks the absolute worst while the Euro Focus is already Gen 3 and simply a sublime drivers car.

While I agree with most everything you said, one thing needs to be clarified. The current Euro Focus is actually a 2nd gen car, while the US one is still the 1st gen. The Euro shares its platform with the current Mazda 3 and Volvo S40/V50 (C1 platform). It is a heck of car, that handles and steers very well, and is light years ahead of what we still have here in the states from Ford.

Other than that, preach on my brother! :p

two words

government regulation

It stifles all of the companies in the market, and they think the only way to make a profit, is to cut features, not add them. Gotta pay for the NHTSA crash testing, the EPA/CAFE emissions testing, the DOT compliance testing, and all the fees and fines if they don't meet every last little bit, and all sorts of other things.

If companies can't freely build products, then they tend to hamper the products to the lowest common denominator.

well said! I totally agree. Our country is basically regulating itself into an economic disaster in many markets with these kinds of tactics.

Its not the regulations that hurt its the fact that they are not internationally interchangeable. Theres a whole different set of testing used between North America vs. Euro markets. If governments would actually do something smart and coordinate these regulations (like they have in Europe) then automakers would only need to make vehicles undergo one set of rules. On the whole emissions things, if the US actually would participate in the Kyoto Treaty, I'm sure that international treaty could help coordinate emission standards around the world.

Archived