LegacyGT.com

Low fuel = shorter life for fuel pump?

06jax2.5se

Not really sure where to post this so whatever!

My buddy has a Trans Am and was telling me that if his car goes below 1/4 tank that it leaves the fuel pump out of the fuel and not cooled by it which in turn gets it hot and ultimatly shortens the life of the fuel pump considerably. he then proceeded to tell me all that has to be taken lose/out in order to drop the tank and replace it.

My question is do you think that this would be true for all cars?

There is some truth to it, but I'm not sure how much. I run my cars all the way to empty before filling and have never had a fuel pump fail. That said, I've never put more than 80k miles on a fuel pump before getting a new car. YMMV.
Kyle "BlackHole"

How is this possible. Fuel is lighter than most liquids that would ever go in it. Everything, including sediment and crap would go straight to the bottom of the sump where the fuel is sucked out of. I don't believe that old wives' tale.

I wasnt talkin about "sediment" or whatever being sucked up into the filter, but running your tank low enough where the fuel pump is not covered by fuel which keeps it cool thus possibly shortening the life of it by running it hotter than it is suppost to be.

I just wanted to throw it out there and see what other members thought of it.

Has anyone out there had a fuel pump fail???

maybe on a trans-am, not on a legacy. See the legacy is expected to turn, so it has a fuel pump that stays full of fuel no matter what the lateral g-force. The trans-am, well you take a guess.

Go take apart your fuel pump assembly if you don't believe me.

:rolleyes:

Here i s a picture of the f-Body fuel bump bucket - this will look familiar to anybody who has seen the Legacy's or dozens of other modern cars.

http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-F99-FPKG-2/RX-F99-FPM.jpg

It is hysterical that people think that Subaru has some secret engineering information that no other manufacturer has or can implement. :rolleyes:

Archived