LegacyGT.com

5 channel amps

ean611

Town, you've hit the nail on the head. It's why I have so much trouble shopping for this stuff, and why I started this thread.

As it turns out. I'm not even going to buy anything at this point, because these amps are so hard to shop for. That, and I found space for my subs :p

I was waiting on a PDX 4150 to come in, but now I think I will just use my old Alpine 4 channel until the JL comes out, even if I do not like it as much, I bet the price of the Alpine will be comming down.

As far as a review, from what I have heard from the people that I know who have bought the Apline PDX series, like them very much. The only down side I have heard is that the Alpine is not a bass heavy amp, it is more of a musical amp (somewhat like the old A/D/S stuff), very clean, but not boom. A few have switched back to a more tradiotnal amp for the subs, but kept the PDX for rest of the system. I have one friend who is using 2 PDX 1000 to run 12 sealed 8" JL subs in the back of his Tahoe...crazy PUNCH, no boom (he also has 2 PDX-4150 for rest (focal's) of his system....sounds great. He has all 3 amps stacked on top of each other (as Alpine says you can) in a small backlit housing with no heat problems (I am amazed that you can stack amps that powerful without any overheating problems) and the amps are at best warm to the touch, noy egg frying hot. I am anxious to see what the JL amps will do in comparison.

I am still going to use my JL 500 for my subs as I like the sound of it and that it will allow me to add more bass if I wish to, but will use one of these 2 amps for the rest of system (size and cool running are main reasons).

Alpine PDX is definately quality. At least in the build. The output is weak and the cleanliness of the amp is not great. Not great for a 5ch layout (sub is WEAK). Simple for a hidden upgrade. Not for those after SQ.

Havent had the chance with an eD. Numbers look good tho.

In the similiar price range as the JL, I would look into a Helix H500 or a Memphis Belle600. Since I know your a tech-spec kinda guy, those will feature some lovely specs to drool over. And they sound so damn good (esp the Helix at that price range).

Under $500, I would say HiFonics for sheer power. so-so SQ.

Rich @ HCA

Seb - Personal opinion. Every ear is going to hear things different. To me, I hear the amp quickly distort as power goes up (vs other amps I have tuned). Yes they are handy because they are so small. Give it a listen. Im no way putting it down, but stating there are other amps in the general price range, that may perform as well or better.

JL has the 500/5 (5ch amp, what your thinking is 4.1), which I do like. Ive installed boatloads of Slash series amps with the same result everytime. The 500/5 will need some room though (22"+ or so long). Very clean sounding and always puts out whats rated (almost always above).

You really cant go wrong with any of them. They all serve their purpose.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Rich, I have a question for you. If space and heat are being taken under consideration, what else other then these new class D amps will work? I have an old PPI PC-650, but trying to fit it in the spare tire well and run it next to a JL 500x1 would be a nightmare. It would save me some $$ but these cars do have limited space and if you want to use your trunk/spare tire well they seem to be the best option. I also know that the analog amps will sound smoother and less harsh then the new digital amps (simple physics, a sine wave will sound less harsh then a square wave) and be better for sq. I am making a compromise in this car because I want to keep the trunk. I am gussing that sebberry is doing some of the same since he wants to mount his amp under the seat an use as little of the interior space as possible to mount his amp.

If there is a reasonably priced (under$700) class a/b (analog) amp that will not run hot, small footprint, and sound good please let me know. I would rather have an analog amp running my non sub speakers. If I was starting from scratch I would use one of these digital amps for my sub and use an analog amp for the rest, but not the case as I already have the JL from my last car. Thank you for any info.

Hmm.. that JL is a monster... all the big names (JL, etc...) seem to think everyone wants to fill their trunk with amps and sub boxes and colorful lights.

That JL amp isn't that big for show. It's packed full and very heavy.

seb - Ah, then yea, the JL is not for you. Most amps nowadays give you the best of both worlds, and are reasonable to boot. All manufacturers add different components that make their amplifiers larger. Larger amps doesnt instantly mean more power or quality, although larger amps do typically display huge power figures.

If size and SQ are your main concerns, I would also take a look at the new Memphis digital amps. They too are stackable and should sound reasonably clean; 55w x 4 4ch, 380 x 1 monoblock (.05% THD on both). They do not offer a 5ch though. (have not tested this amp) http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/

Eclipse has some new Digital amps as well, that are somewhat small (12 x 10 x 2.3). They also dont have a 5ch, but the 4ch is rated at 100w x 4, .05% THD, monoblock is rated at 1000w x 1. (have not tested this amp) http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/index.html

Focal has new amps coming out, that are just a titch smaller than the JL 300/4 and 500/1. Since they are not released yet, I cannot give you any more info. Lets say it puts out a few more watts than the JL setup. http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2008/04/focal-solid-amp.html

Just some suggestions of amps I can think of that are small, powerful, and clean. If I think of any more, Ill post up.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Well I gues the bottom line with the PDX5 is.. can I really go wrong with it?

I want good sound, I don't need loud sound. The factory system is plenty loud enough, I want better bass extension and clearer sound.

If McIntosh, H/K, etc.. can have a good sounding sysem driven from an under-seat amp, I don't see how the PDX5 can be all that bad, and certainly it must be a few steps above the factory unit.

I am sure you have done a lot of work on high-end systems for show cars, etc... where it is important to rattle windows, but that is not my idea of sound.

Then maybe its for you, I dont know. Take a listen, that may do it for you.

We are not like other audio shops. Our main focus is sound quality and factory fitment. Sure our systems are loud, but they are always crystal clear. Power is power. Any amp will power any speaker. Its the quality of the power we are always going after.

If you determined size is your main concern, and it must be 5ch, the PDX is the only one out there.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

I am running the 500/5 over my spare in my wagon and it is freaking money...Sub is a W6 in the JL stealth enclosure...I am running Hertz separates front and rear with the cleansweep and have never had a single issue...install is clean and uncluttered...JL sub control min dash as well for fine tuning! JL puts out a great quality product!

In short it's smart money!

J

I am running the 500/5 over my spare in my wagon and it is freaking money...Sub is a W6 in the JL stealth enclosure...I am running Hertz separates front and rear with the cleansweep and have never had a single issue...install is clean and uncluttered...JL sub control min dash as well for fine tuning! JL puts out a great quality product!

In short it's smart money!

J

Can you tell me which model Hertz you have? Also, where did you mount the tweet?

Looking for some new mids. These new Quarts are pretty bad.

I saw that on the other forum..

Question is.. what is the SQ like...

Good question....I just had a look at the signal to noise ratio.....77db:nono:

I've read a couple reviews on them and most people seem to think it's fine though. I would guess that the majority of people would never even notice.

Those new JL amps that are coming out to compete with the PDX line look nice. Maybe those are worth waiting for.....5 channel perhaps?

Yeah, i was waiting for that. The Alpine has notoriously dirty power that distorts. The new JL HD's supposedly address the D block issues... And you could always fit a "small" mono D somewhere to add the 5th. I heard the JL's are already ordered and starting to ship to dealers... I'm waiting on the 4x150. Gonna be pricey though.

sebberry, don't be sure just yet.

77dB SNR is still very high for an auto environment, as you won't be able to hear some of the difference.

Wait until you hear what the amp sounds like before deciding it was a mistake. Also, I won't address how most of those ratings are self-declared and not independantly verified.

Edit: Not saying the PDX-5 is good/bad, just that without listening, it's hard to tell on numbers alone

Don't worry about clipping it. You should be fine. The only thing that the 77db SNR tells you is the noise floor. Most can't notice it and you should be fine in a car. Like I said before, most people who have the amp love it and haven't had little or anything bad to say about it.

**Echoes what ItalynStylion says.**

Also, your MB Quart speakers have almost no chance of being damaged by the PDX-5. The distortion you're worried about happens when you overdrive the amp severly. Unless you plan on over-amping the input signal guitar pre-amp style, you have nothing to worry about.

Archived