LegacyGT.com

5 channel amps

ean611

I'm running out of space to work with, and to make everything fit, I'm thinking of using a 5 channel amp.

Has anyone had expereince with the Alpine PDX-5 or the JL Audio 500/5?

I'm comparing the Highs to a Rockford Type RF (from 2003) 75x4 amp and a Kicker ZR240..

Stronger channels running the fronts, weaker channels running the rears.

IIRC the built-in crossovers can be set up to run tweeters off the 'rear' channels and midranges off the 'front' channels. But I'd rather just use a passive crossover for the fronts.

If you have the opportunity, space and resources to run a 500/5, do it. I used to sell those for The Good Guys in California. Absolutely amazing amps. I have the 500/1 and wish I could afford the mods I'm adding AND a 300/4.

duuuude... the guys at the stereo shop showed me a new alpine 5 channel today...liguid cooled... super small...seriously like 6x8 tops. he said he could hide it anywhere...

but I fail for not getting the model

i WAS running a kicker 700.5 until it was stolen last night..

i'll definately be looking for a more stealthy install next time around

I've certainly been there. Way back in 1994

Two PPI A600.2, a A404.2, 4 Solobaric 12s.

In the truck less than 72hrs. In my case, it was some "friend" of "friend" who mentioned my new system to them. Happened in same high school parking lot where I was carjacked at gunpoint 6 months earlier.

I knew a guy who worked for a short time at a shop where they would install a switch underneath the car to turn off the alarm so they could later steal the system. He quickly left that place.

Sux.

yay for insurance... everything was replaced via car toys...who has direct pay connections with my insurance...

they did a jl 10w3 and a a6450 6 channel amp... overall (DOORS ETC) sounds better than my previous amp/sub... but the sub doesn't seem nearly as viscious as the kicker l5 was.

anyone know how hot amps are supposed to feel to the touch? I never noticed on the old kicker...but this amp is extremley hot to the touch after about 20 minutes of use... like one couldn't rest their hand on it it is so hot. the guy at the shop said that it isn't an issue unless it shuts itself down

As with most 5-channel amps, the sub output of that Alpine is pretty weak. The JL 500/5 on the other hand has an underrated 250 RMS just for the sub.

The Alpine will be underrated, and the rating is higher to begin with.

The Alpine will be underrated, and the rating is higher to begin with.

You are correct. When I originally googled that amp, I thought I read that it was 100W RMS on the 5th channel. Now I can't find where I read that. Now everything says it's 300RMS X 1 which puts it above the JL. Very nice amp indeed.

Archived