LegacyGT.com

This coming weekend we'd like to take our 2008 2.5i Limited (4EAT) on the beach (Chapin Beach in Dennis on Cape Cod). We're not looking to push the off-road capabilities hard, just get to the end of the peninsula with great access to a large tidal flat. We'll likely stick to the main trail and not venture onto the tidal flat itself (very soft).

Anything I need to worry about? Turn off traction/stability control? Reduce tire pressure on stock RE92A down to 15-20? Just take it easy?

This will be our first Subaru trip off road.

--Lee

Going to run out of ground clearance at the entrance and it will be soft, at least that's the case for most access points on the Cape. Have not been to the Chapin Beach area. Straddle the tracks left by the SUVs and you should be fine on the firmer sand closer to the water.

Bring some old carpet/boards and a shovel just in case.

Thanks. I guess I'll check out the entrance area carefully before the go/no-go decision. I'll make sure to have some carpet mats, boards, and a shovel on board.

--Lee

Tow strap always helps, not sure when help arrives what they might have. Also a jack or two along with those boards means you could get yourself up out of a whole if needed.

And the typical applies, no suddent movements to the steering wheel or throttle, and especially at the entrance, get on the gas while you have traction and get some speed up to float over the soft stuff.

Every place I've seen stuck vehicles (and that includes Subarus) has been the really soft stuff near the dunes.

We wimped out, mostly because I didn't want to pay for a non-resident Dennis off-road vehicle permit and they were checking. I only saw Jeeps and pretty serious SUVs on the sand anyways. The sand was pretty soft and the ruts pretty deep. I think it would have been dicey in the OB. We walked the half mile down to the western end of Chapin Beach.

Thanks.

--Lee

PS: We suspect one of the many folks digging for clams along the beach was Ray Magliozzi (of Car Talk). It sure sounded like him, and we think he has a place in Dennis.

Archived