LegacyGT.com

Need second opinion based on symptoms...

SlightlyEvil

I'm pretty sure I know what's up but before I go spending $ on parts and stuff I thought I'd post the symptoms and see what people think is wrong:

- Cruisin' on the highway in 4th and especially 5th gear, at about 2300rpm, floor it, and the rpms rise normally till 3000rpm, then it surges quickly up to about 3700-ish rpm, then drops back to about 3200rpm and continues to accelerate as hard as ever. Engine sounds and feels fine through all this.

- Only does this on FULL throttle acceleration in 4th and 5th gear, normal or 3/4 throttle pulls don't do it.

- Hard acceleration in 1st - 2nd - 3rd gear is normal, nothing different and no surging at 3200 rpm like in higher gears.

Thoughts?

Oh, the car is basic stage2 setup - catless up, highflow dp, MR cat back, currently on AP OTS 91 octane map. 105,000kms

I'm pretty sure I know what's up but before I go spending $ on parts and stuff I thought I'd post the symptoms and see what people think is wrong:

- Cruisin' on the highway in 4th and especially 5th gear, at about 2300rpm, floor it, and the rpms rise normally till 3000rpm, then it surges quickly up to about 3700-ish rpm, then drops back to about 3200rpm and continues to accelerate as hard as ever. Engine sounds and feels fine through all this.

- Only does this on FULL throttle acceleration in 4th and 5th gear, normal or 3/4 throttle pulls don't do it.

- Hard acceleration in 1st - 2nd - 3rd gear is normal, nothing different and no surging at 3200 rpm like in higher gears.

Thoughts?

Oh, the car is basic stage2 setup - catless up, highflow dp, MR cat back, currently on AP OTS 91 octane map. 105,000kms

While you do not indicate which transmission you have, I hope you're talking about an automatic. Otherwise........

No, MT, why?

My assumption was clutch was starting to slip since it does it right at the point that the turbo spools fully, and only in gears and from starting RPMs where it's making actually full boost level (pulls starting at around 2000rpm in 4th and 5th). Car shifts and runs fine, just doing that very slight rpm surge at spool.

This is what I figured. I'd like to get the 06 WRX FW when I replace the clutch. I've read lots on it but can't find a recommendation of a good aftermarket that would pair well with the 06wrx fw and NOT be as rough to break-in as the spec clutches are. Any recommendations or should I just go with stock clutch? Good idea to replace TOB at time of swap since milage is adding up?

i did a spec stage 1 clutch and wrx fly 20k miles ago...i'm tuned beyond cobb 2 (18psi) have tracked it (1/4 mile) at least 25 trips down the track, and drive it 80miles a day in dallas traffic...

and I couldn't be happier

oh and that is exactly what happened to my clutch when it started going out. ....not sure how long it could have been babied..but it wasn't worth the car not being there for me on the freeway if I ever needed to punch it.

^ spec stage 1 doesn't have a very high torque rating.

(most spec LGT set ups require a OEM LGT style fly...which is a dual mass...WRX is a single)

ACT HD w/ WRX OEM fly is a good combo. Drives like stock, handles 420ft.lbs. Do a search.

^ spec stage 1 doesn't have a very high torque rating.

(most spec LGT set ups require a OEM LGT style fly...which is a dual mass...WRX is a single)

ACT HD w/ WRX OEM fly is a good combo. Drives like stock, handles 420ft.lbs. Do a search.

that's what they say... but mine is holding strong the way it is..... :cool:

After searching he'll also start to see some are having issues with the act "420lbs" set up wearing out just as quickly as their stock set up did....which raises all sorts of questions

Archived