LegacyGT.com

8 inch rear deck factory sub mount

ean611

I'm thinking of using the factory sub mount in my 07 Legacy. It's an 8 inch hole.

I'm considering putting a low volume sub there, along with a sealed box under the deck. I'll also go free air if I can find a sub that will sound good.

I'm either doing this, or going to sink a Kicker CompVR 10 into the spare tire well. (I already own the CompVR, so no buying another 10)

So far, I’ve found an Elemental Designs 9Kv.2 that would fit and has “decent specs” (according to web site) and is $75.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an 8 inch sub that would work for the Legacy rear deck? Also, no matter what I do, would it just be better to delete the spare tire instead and go with the 10? I want the best sound quality with good response in all frequencies while not taking up “usable” trunk space. Any advice will be appreciated.

You might try an Image Dynamics ID8. It's an 8" sub that would work well for that application. You could try it infinite baffle first in the rear deck (without an enclosure) and see if you like it. If not, build a box for it and it will sound great. Image Dynamics subs can be used IB quite well and all of them have great sound quality. It could be a decent option for you.

You might try an Image Dynamics ID8. It's an 8" sub that would work well for that application. You could try it infinite baffle first in the rear deck (without an enclosure) and see if you like it. If not, build a box for it and it will sound great. Image Dynamics subs can be used IB quite well and all of them have great sound quality. It could be a decent option for you.

WORD I ROCKED 2 ID8s IN MY MINI AND THEY SOUND GREAT AND HAD A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF SOUND FOR BEING 8s

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

ItalynStylion, I'm looking at the Image Dynamics.

Where can I get Image Dynamics subs? Also, how does that 8 compare to someting like the TS-SW841D from Pioneer? I was thinking of that as it takes almost no air volume and claims it works free-air.

Thanks!!

ItalynStylion, I'm looking at the Image Dynamics.

Where can I get Image Dynamics subs? Also, how does that 8 compare to someting like the TS-SW841D from Pioneer? I was thinking of that as it takes almost no air volume and claims it works free-air.

Thanks!!

very few places sell them

i have done a custom install where i fiberglassed two of the pioneer shallow 8s (1 under each seat) of another mini and ran 600watts to them and it was a lot of vibration but not a lot of sound

i had also flirted with the idea of doing a shallow pioneer 8 in the rear deck lid as well

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

Ehhh, I would stay away from the Pioneer. The ID sub is a great choice for what you want. I don't think you are looking for a space saver like the Pioneer.

Image Dynamics subs are hard to find but you can get your hands on them for sure. You can call Image Dynamics or go on their website and find a dealer local to Boston. If there isn't one, you can order them from http://www.woofersetc.com/ you might be able to get them right from ImageDynamics too.

ItalynStylion, hows the performance of the ID sub in either a VERY small (~.12-.13 airspace) or freeair? I'm not likely going to be able to get a "correct" size box under my deck. (unless you have instructions for an easy to build one)

Also, should I get the 2Ohm or the 4Ohm? They have slightly different Vas, (2Ohm is higher) and different resonance frequency (2Ohm is lower). My Kicker ZR240 should be able to handle either.

Thanks!

Well, with the lower FS I would go with the dual 2 ohm for a free air application and you would have to wire it to 4 ohms. The dual 4 ohm sub could be wired to 2 ohms which would squeeze more power out of the amp.

Ideally, you would like to have the ability to wire at 2 ohms for the extra power and have the lower resonant frequency but here you have to choose. It's a toss up but I would go with the dual 4 ohm sub. Only because the extra power will double the output and the 2 ohm sub's FS isn't THAT much lower...just a little.

The recommended "small" enclosure size on their site is .2 cubic feet. I know you can get that under there, I just know it! Try some designs with .5" MDF first rather than .75" MDF wood. It will help you save some space.

only problem you guys are forgetting is the trunk springs. they are right in the way of doing an enclosure if you went to some kind of trunk strut setup or springs. You could build an enclosure under there for a 10 if you wanted to. Oh yeah and what ever you do make sure you port the rear deck lid cover build some kinda grille ( or source a rear deckl lid cover from a jdm leggy that had a mcintosh system in it) and dynamt the heck out of the rear deck lid it is very thin and will vibrate a ton with a sub connected to it

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

Something like this except flipped or you can make it down firing and port the enclosure and put the port through the rear deck lid

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/images/fullsize/d210_full_trunk_lrg.jpg

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

Thanks ItalynStylion. I think a box could be put there, but my friend helping with installs is reluctant. He is unsure how to mount the sealed box underneeth. for .2-.3 CU ft, I figure there's room, just no idea how to build and attach the box.

Probably picking up that Image Dynamics 8 later this week. Thanks for the woofers etc link. The specs for Image Dynamics look good, and the frequency response curve is promising.

Here are the pics of the area.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0422.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0421.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0420.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

First of all, any idea on the depth of those bars from the rear deck surface underside? Measure that distance there. The dept is important because the sub alone could be too deep on its own. On the top of the rear deck (inside the car) does the sub mount flush with the rear deck metal or is it raised up/spaced at all?

Get the outer diameter of the mounting surface. And by that I mean not the inside of the hole, but the outside of where the flange would cover when something is mounted there.

So here is my idea....and don't laugh. It's sort of unorthodox but trust me it will work well if it fits. If the sub is shallow enough to clear the bars here is what I would do. Find a shallow plastic bowl with about a .5" rim around the top that has a diameter of the mounting surface. It should be as ridged as possible and should resist flexing. Then, use some speaker gasketing tape around the rim to make sure it gets a good seal. Drill 4 holes in the rim that are in line with the stock mounting holes and use nuts on the bottom side to secure it to the underside of the rear deck.

I know it sounds ghetto but it will work VERY well...you can carpet the bowl if it's embarrassing to look at :lol:

ItalynStylion, thats a good idea....

I'll look into that. The concern is how do i get a good seal up there. It was suggested to me to use a foam baffle for it, which is 6 inches deep. That would provide .1cu or so of air with the sub in it. You think I'd be able to find a bowl to get closer to .2-.3 cu ft?

The bars, as you can see from the 1st pic (strait up at it) are not over the hold directly.

Thanks!

First of all, any idea on the depth of those bars from the rear deck surface underside? Measure that distance there. The dept is important because the sub alone could be too deep on its own. On the top of the rear deck (inside the car) does the sub mount flush with the rear deck metal or is it raised up/spaced at all?

Get the outer diameter of the mounting surface. And by that I mean not the inside of the hole, but the outside of where the flange would cover when something is mounted there.

So here is my idea....and don't laugh. It's sort of unorthodox but trust me it will work well if it fits. If the sub is shallow enough to clear the bars here is what I would do. Find a shallow plastic bowl with about a .5" rim around the top that has a diameter of the mounting surface. It should be as ridged as possible and should resist flexing. Then, use some speaker gasketing tape around the rim to make sure it gets a good seal. Drill 4 holes in the rim that are in line with the stock mounting holes and use nuts on the bottom side to secure it to the underside of the rear deck.

I know it sounds ghetto but it will work VERY well...you can carpet the bowl if it's embarrassing to look at :lol:

I can attest to this looking as ghetto as it comes, but it really does work well. I should have tried carpeting my Tupperware...maybe it wouldn't have looked as bad. :lol:

I have a kicker CompVR set up free-air in my boat it sounds great... Call kicker some of their subs are free-air capable

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/2628537050062217745AYCDvz_fs.jpg Cant see it in that pic but i ave it between the rear facing seat and the left front facing seat on the inside wall

I'm thinking of using the factory sub mount in my 07 Legacy. It's an 8 inch hole.

I'm considering putting a low volume sub there, along with a sealed box under the deck. I'll also go free air if I can find a sub that will sound good.

I'm either doing this, or going to sink a Kicker CompVR 10 into the spare tire well. (I already own the CompVR, so no buying another 10)

So far, I’ve found an Elemental Designs 9Kv.2 that would fit and has “decent specs” (according to web site) and is $75.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an 8 inch sub that would work for the Legacy rear deck? Also, no matter what I do, would it just be better to delete the spare tire instead and go with the 10? I want the best sound quality with good response in all frequencies while not taking up “usable” trunk space. Any advice will be appreciated.

Archived