LegacyGT.com

8 inch rear deck factory sub mount

ean611

Ok, decision made. Just ordered 8 inch Image Dynamics 2Ohm DVC sub.

Image Dynamics claims their sub will operate quite well free-air in a rear deck. The tech on the phone, a former installer, had done stuff similar with good results.

Hopefully, the sub will be here from Woofers ETC shortly. Thanks ItalynStylion for the tip! I'll post pics in my install thread when I get the sub and install it.

Now for a line driver....Wonder if there are any good cheap ones....

When I examined this on my 08, I got the impression that the sub actually mounted in from the top, not the bottom. Has anyone disassembled the rear deck to find out how it's supposed to actually sit in there? That might affect the mounting depth -- otherwise it's gonna be real tight.

^From the pictures that have been posted it would seem the sub mounts from the top. I don't know because I have yet to buy a LGT.

Enclosure design will be tricky but that is why I suggested a woofer that does well IB. If he mounts it IB and he likes it the depth issue of an enclosure will be irrelevant :)

^From the pictures that have been posted it would seem the sub mounts from the top. I don't know because I have yet to buy a LGT.

Enclosure design will be tricky but that is why I suggested a woofer that does well IB. If he mounts it IB and he likes it the depth issue of an enclosure will be irrelevant :)

Yup, I'm actually concerned about just the speaker itself clearing, enclosures aside. There's very little room there.

Well, according to UPS, my 8 inch Image Dynamics Sub arrives Friday. Also, according to Image Dynamics Tech Support, their sub will work well in an infinite baffle.

I'll post pics and details when I have the thing installed.

Ok, tried the install the Image Dynamics sub. One of the tension bars for the trunk moves right into the magnet. I measured, and unless I can do something about the the trunk tension bar (remove one of them?), I have 3 inches of clearance.

I'm going to have to either figure out a way to A) Remove one of the two trunk tension bars (I'm not sure that is even a good idea) or B) find an alternate location.

So 3" is your max depth?

Now might actually be a time to look specifically at shallow-mount subs.

I know that tang band makes one, but I don't know if it works in free-air...

Edit: It is a 10"

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-862

all you really need is 4 eye hooks and 2 springs

I don't know these parts by name; can you post pics of what you are talking about? Have you deleted the trunk bars? I was pretty much the only person to do it in the IS300 world but I'm curious if you LGT guys have a decent solution that everyone already does.

I was thinking about this a bit more today, and if yo uwere to do this, you would obviously want to deaden the rear deck very well. On top of this, you would want to use MDF and make a mounting ring to mount on the underside of the deck (cut to fit the flat area on the underside of the rear deck).

This would give you a more solid mounting point than just screwing the speaker into the metal skin. You could sandwich deadening between the ring and the rear deck.

Regarding the idea above to make a ring on the top, you could fab a spacer ring on the top, then finish it in fiberglass or bondo and paint it to match the rear deck. It would also allow you to have a flush-mount grille like http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-424 or http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5727

I appriciate all the advice.

I've pretty much surrendered my desire for the rear-deck sub in exchage for two Fiberglass enclosers in the left and right pockets. That space isn't useful for trunk stuff anyway. I'm going with 2 ID8V2s, as they take little air, and 2 is better than 1. (2Ohm to my Amp).

Archived