LegacyGT.com

5EAT shift delay question

I took a test drive today on an 08 Legacy 3.0. I wanted to also drive an auto GT but the dealer had none in stock. The auto gearbox with the the paddle shifters worked pretty well. Downshift were very quick but up shifts had a delay of about a 1 to 1.5 secs. Is this a normal delay for the upshifts??? And is it safe to assume that the 5EAT on the GT will perform the same???

Thanks.

If the timing is the same on the 08 as it is on my 06, it averages from .5 to 1.5 sec to upshift, depending on speed, accelrator input, etc... But on average it is about .5sec.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

that is normal. if you want to improve that, you can have IPT modify the valve body to reduce the delay (there will still be one) or buy a car with a real DSG gear box. ;)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i've driven one ... the delay is terrible it practically makes the tiptronic useless

I disagree it's not useless. But compared to the speed of the down-shifts the up-shift lag is disapointing.

I'm probably stick to the manual. Going to arrange for a test drive today for a 5 speed GT.

So sad. Another one becomes a slave to manual. J/K - Aw, you manual guys rip on us auto guys all the time. Time to fight back! ;)

We'll I've been a slave to the manual gearbox since 1983 when I bought a brand new black GTI. Only time I drove an auto for an extended period of time was in 00 when I bought a Passat 4Motion. I traded that car in July of 01 for my 02 WRX Wagon.

Lesson here is never try to make your spouse happy. :lol: It never works out in the end and she never drove that friggin car anyway. :mad: This time I was experimenting for my own benefit with the idea of an auto.

Archived