LegacyGT.com

Yesterday was as good as any to crash my new car

So yesterday seemed as good as any day to get in an accident with my brand new car! http://roclife.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

here is the low down...

I was traveling southbound on Hook Road in Farmington coming to the intersection of Colette and Hook. i am traveling at the speed limit of 40mph and am about 200ft from the intersection when a truck stopped at the intersection heading westbound decides to cross the intersection (i think to myself that it was a gutsy move but he made it across the intersection alright. Please note that my direction of travel has no stop sign and the intersecting road (Colette) had stop signs.

At this point i am less then 100ft from the intersection when the car that was directly behind the truck decided that they wanted to cross the intersection as well. Failing to yield to the right of way, the car drove straight through the intersection. I locked up the brakes (wet roads) and correct right to try and avoid the car coming across the intersection hoping that the car notes their error in judgment and stops prior to completing the crossing of the intersection (i probably could have successfully completed the right hand turn onto Colette road had the car not kept progressing across the intersection.)

Needless to say two cars cannot occupy the same space at the same time and i ended up punting the car in the right rear (passanger rear door). This in turn made the car slide into a minivan with two passangers stopped at the intersection on Colette road heading east bound. The car i hit (chrysler sebring) wrapped around the front of the minivan and due to the laws of physics rebounded back into my car causing me to complete a spin to the inside of turn.

The driver of the Sebring decided to continue on her way for 300ft before stopping her car.

At this point i am so pissed off (not injured, not scared, not shaking JUST PISSED) i get out, and check on the minivan driver and passenger who had both airbags deploy. One elderly lady (60's) was visibly shaken and in distress from the accident, once i secured her vehicle and took the keys out of the ignition i went to have a chat with the other driver.

as i approach i notice that the driver is an older women (later find out she is 78. I first ask her if she is alright and she tells me her chest hurts. I tell her that help will be there soon, (no airbags deployed) i then ask her if she realized that there was a stop sign back there for her, to which she responded "No i did not" i left her and returned to my car where i patiently waited for the police to show up.

All 3 cars were towed and both drivers of the other two vehicles went to the hospital (precautionary).

I walked away from this crash with only a broken car and had it not been for my reaction, that elderly women in the Sebring would have been in much worse shape. If it had been someone else in my position i highly believe there would have been a fatality today. That lady had no business being behind a wheel!

So now comes the fun times of having a new car repaired!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2162/2388959096_8dc35f96eb.jpg?v=0

Damage to my car up close

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/2388128853_3e0393e745.jpg?v=0

Impact from where i hit the Sebring

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2388959266_64c07c0787.jpg?v=0

after i hit the sebring it went into the minivan and this is the result ( Note the indentation of the minivan on the sebring, you can see exactly where it was hit.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2388959216_6961d0e93a.jpg?v=0

Damage to the Sebring from where it wrapped around the front of the minivan

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2388128731_34ca68755f.jpg?v=0

You can see the damage to my driver side door is a secondary hit from after the lady in the sebring fired back off of the minivan (due to physics) and came back and whacked me in the door which essential put her back on the straight and narrow path.

i can haz a siginaturz now?

Dammit, I hate to see an LGT smashed up. :( I get a lump just thinking about it being mine. Glad everyone is OK. Stuff like this is EXACTLY why there should be refresher license tests for the elderly!!

Looking at the pics, and the weather, and your plate, I knew this was western NY. The car @ VanBortel? Hope she's back rolling again soon.

sucks... but at least your OK... JDM front end time maybe a FMIC? make the best outta this... When I got into a wreck I bought a CF hood, FMIC and much more.. Allstate paid for it :) talk to the body shop.

Dammit, I hate to see an LGT smashed up. :( I get a lump just thinking about it being mine. Glad everyone is OK. Stuff like this is EXACTLY why there should be refresher license tests for the elderly!!

Don't forget the need for health checks too. Eyesight declines with age and the problem is that you don't recognize that it has declined until it's too late.

453747.png

So yesterday seemed as good as any day to get in an accident with my brand new car! http://roclife.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

here is the low down...

I was traveling southbound on Hook Road in Farmington coming to the intersection of Colette and Hook. i am traveling at the speed limit of 40mph and am about 200ft from the intersection when a truck stopped at the intersection heading westbound decides to cross the intersection (i think to myself that it was a gutsy move but he made it across the intersection alright. Please note that my direction of travel has no stop sign and the intersecting road (Colette) had stop signs.

At this point i am less then 100ft from the intersection when the car that was directly behind the truck decided that they wanted to cross the intersection as well. Failing to yield to the right of way, the car drove straight through the intersection. I locked up the brakes (wet roads) and correct right to try and avoid the car coming across the intersection hoping that the car notes their error in judgment and stops prior to completing the crossing of the intersection (i probably could have successfully completed the right hand turn onto Colette road had the car not kept progressing across the intersection.)

Needless to say two cars cannot occupy the same space at the same time and i ended up punting the car in the right rear (passanger rear door). This in turn made the car slide into a minivan with two passangers stopped at the intersection on Colette road heading east bound. The car i hit (chrysler sebring) wrapped around the front of the minivan and due to the laws of physics rebounded back into my car causing me to complete a spin to the inside of turn.

The driver of the Sebring decided to continue on her way for 300ft before stopping her car.

At this point i am so pissed off (not injured, not scared, not shaking JUST PISSED) i get out, and check on the minivan driver and passenger who had both airbags deploy. One elderly lady (60's) was visibly shaken and in distress from the accident, once i secured her vehicle and took the keys out of the ignition i went to have a chat with the other driver.

as i approach i notice that the driver is an older women (later find out she is 7http://roclife.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif. I first ask her if she is alright and she tells me her chest hurts. I tell her that help will be there soon, (no airbags deployed) i then ask her if she realized that there was a stop sign back there for her, to which she responded "No i did not" i left her and returned to my car where i patiently waited for the police to show up.

All 3 cars were towed and both drivers of the other two vehicles went to the hospital (precautionary).

I walked away from this crash with only a broken car and had it not been for my reaction, that elderly women in the Sebring would have been in much worse shape. If it had been someone else in my position i highly believe there would have been a fatality today. That lady had no business being behind a wheel!

So now comes the fun times of having a new car repaired!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2162/2388959096_8dc35f96eb.jpg?v=0

Damage to my car up close

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/2388128853_3e0393e745.jpg?v=0

Impact from where i hit the Sebring

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2388959266_64c07c0787.jpg?v=0

after i hit the sebring it went into the minivan and this is the result ( Note the indentation of the minivan on the sebring, you can see exactly where it was hit.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2388959216_6961d0e93a.jpg?v=0

Damage to the Sebring from where it wrapped around the front of the minivan

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2388128731_34ca68755f.jpg?v=0

You can see the damage to my driver side door is a secondary hit from after the lady in the sebring fired back off of the minivan (due to physics) and came back and whacked me in the door which essential put her back on the straight and narrow path.

I see that you got your car from Van Bortel. I used to live very close to them. Now i'm about 1.5 hours away. How's the service from Van?

Thanks for the comments guys...

Yes everyone was ok and that is the most important part BUT... Van Bortel does not have a collision center so i took it to a very highly recommended Al Raymond.

Yup this was in Western NY and it was on Hook Rd and Collette RD in Farmington NY (runs parallel to rt 332 just off of the thruway.

so my question is what parts can i put on my car? i would love the JDM front bumper but where can i acquire this (and yes the insurance company will be PAYING ME and not the collision place). Also what light weight hoods are available? any cf intake horns available?

Glad you're taking it well.

JapanParts can probably get you a JDM bumper, but it may take a long time to ship.

The rumor was that Subaru would switch from aluminum parts to steel parts for the 2008 MY, so a 05-07 MY hood might be lighter than what you have now. I haven't actually heard anybody confirm that the hood switched from aluminum to steel, but it's worth looking into. I don't know if a 2005-07 MY hood will fit a 2008.

ohdang! sucks to see a smashed up LGT in rochester (the few of us).

darned rochester elderly drivers!

i also got my 06 from van, and theyve been really good at fixing their mistake of putting 8+ qts of oil in my car and causing me to blow out a seal in the back of my engine. good people and service, one mistake is ok as long as they keep working to get it fixed

Old people are often dangerous drivers. I used to live in central Florida and you always had to look out for the big Cadillacs and Lincolns because they would not look out for you! There were several horrible accidents caused by old drivers. There should be a mandatory driving and eyesight exam for all drivers starting at age 60. It should be the same test that is given to the new 16 year old drivers. If they fail it, they lose their license that day.

run a search on this site... there is a CF scoop extension or CF hood availible... cannot think of the manufacturer off hand. I honestly do NOT suggest a CF hood...

Thanks for the comments guys...

Yes everyone was ok and that is the most important part BUT... Van Bortel does not have a collision center so i took it to a very highly recommended Al Raymond.

Yup this was in Western NY and it was on Hook Rd and Collette RD in Farmington NY (runs parallel to rt 332 just off of the thruway.

so my question is what parts can i put on my car? i would love the JDM front bumper but where can i acquire this (and yes the insurance company will be PAYING ME and not the collision place). Also what light weight hoods are available? any cf intake horns available?

run a search on this site... there is a CF scoop extension or CF hood availible... cannot think of the manufacturer off hand. I honestly do NOT suggest a CF hood...

Yes i agree that the CF hood is not the way to go as in the winter the weight would cause a shear stress on the CF and we all know that it does not do well with that weight and coldness. But i would prefer an aluminum hood as apposed to a steel hood.

I agree to the notion of mandatory testing and if you fail you instantly lose your license.

anyone have a link to the proper JDM front bumper for the 08 LGT?

I see that you got your car from Van Bortel. I used to live very close to them. Now i'm about 1.5 hours away. How's the service from Van?

Did I just miss something? Or did you just ask Rival how service from a local dealership was...? The man just lost his ride. :(

Hey Rival,

Sorry about your car. Glad to hear you are everyone are OK. +1 on retesting for the elderly.

Did I just miss something? Or did you just ask Rival how service from a local dealership was...? The man just lost his ride. :(

LOL i ws thinking the same thing but no need for me to get more upset right? haha but yes actually the dealership is great!

Hey Rival,

Sorry about your car. Glad to hear you are everyone are OK. +1 on retesting for the elderly.

Thank for the comments and the only good thing is that i will get some nice new parts that i was going to wait a year to acquire (and $20 a day in rental fee even though i have a second car to drive will be nice)

Glad you're taking it well.

JapanParts can probably get you a JDM bumper, but it may take a long time to ship.

The rumor was that Subaru would switch from aluminum parts to steel parts for the 2008 MY, so a 05-07 MY hood might be lighter than what you have now. I haven't actually heard anybody confirm that the hood switched from aluminum to steel, but it's worth looking into. I don't know if a 2005-07 MY hood will fit a 2008.

I have a 08 and I don't think the hood is steel because it is very light compared to my 97 LGT hood.

Hey Rival,

He didn't lose anything. Sounds like he's make lemonade out of lemons. JDM bumper, aluminum hood... sounds good to me...

I can't ask the guy what his buying experience was? :rolleyes:

He didn't lose anything. Sounds like he's make lemonade out of lemons. JDM bumper, aluminum hood... sounds good to me...

I can't ask the guy what his buying experience was? :rolleyes:

NO of course you cannot...HOW DARE YOU!!! ha :) but at the time it was not exactly the first thing on my mind :lol: but yes Van Bortel is MOST EXCELLENT!

That sucks man. Glad you're okay. I had a pretty close call last week -- two days after I got my LGT no less -- with a streetbike idiot that was riding a wheelie down a busy street and almost ditched into me.

++ On re-testing for elderly drivers, not just eyesight and driving either, hearing should be a part of it too.

++ On re-testing for elderly drivers, not just eyesight and driving either, hearing should be a part of it too.

Maybe. The ability to hear in most (all?) states is not a requirement for driving. There are deaf drivers.

That sucks.

Watch out for insurance companies.

In Minnesota doing the limit through an intersection in the rain would arguably put you at legal (but not moral) fault, for example.

That sucks.

Watch out for insurance companies.

In Minnesota doing the limit through an intersection in the rain would arguably put you at legal (but not moral) fault, for example.

Glad I don't live in Minnesota. Around these parts they tend to blame the driver that broke the law.

Glad I don't live in Minnesota. Around these parts they tend to blame the driver that broke the law.

Oh right, I forgot to mention, doing the posted limit through an intersection in the rain is arguably speeding under MN law, making them both law breakers.

In MN, a speeder, even by 1 mph, loses all right-of-way.

Stupid law? Yes. But stupid laws are everywhere in all state's vehcile codes.

Archived