LegacyGT.com

Lexus IS300 vs. Legacy GT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The LGt is lighter, with more power and AWD, the is300s have some potential but it costs alot of money to make them soemthing special. The LGT also has more room. The trq of the LGt will put you in your seat alot more than that is300s

Just fill out one of those online quotes with your info and you should get a pretty good idea. But the LGT is actually really cheap to insure compatible to the likes of Mazda6/Camry/Accord IIRC.

BTW, this is really not a fair comparison, 5 years is a generation worth of improvement for a car. You shouldn't be comparing the '07 LGT against your old car but against other cars you could buy at around the same price.

^I already know that if I were to sell my car I would get a LGT...my decision is whether or not to go through with it.

I think I can get 15k for my car. I would most likely buy a 2007 lightly used or a new 2008. Either way, I NEED those folding rear seats. That is something that pisses me off about the IS300...they don't fold down.

I'll be making close to 8k this summer at my internship and I make some money on the side from building/selling speaker enclosures. I think I'll have enough for a used 2007 but not a new 2008. I'm debating if I should get it new and make a few payments or buy it new outright.

I'm considering selling my 2002 IS300 for a new or slightly used 07LGT. What do you think my Pro's and Con's of this would be?
If your IS is still in good running condition and paid for, I say hang on it. Do some aggressive preventative maintenance (PM)(tires, fresh suspension) on it and from a dollar perspective you come out way ahead and still have a decent ride. Probably not what you wanted to hear. :p

If your IS is still in good running condition and paid for, I say hang on it. Do some aggressive preventative maintenance (PM)(tires, fresh suspension) on it and from a dollar perspective you come out way ahead and still have a decent ride. Probably not what you wanted to hear. :p

It's in ok condition. It looks nice enough but has some problems. Like the AC went out the other day and it's in the shop right now. I can't be fixing stupid shit like that as the car gets older. It has 78k on the clock and no warranty to be spoken of.

Part of the reason I want a new car to begin with is the security of a warranty.

It's in ok condition. It looks nice enough but has some problems. Like the AC went out the other day and it's in the shop right now. I can't be fixing stupid shit like that as the car gets older. It has 78k on the clock and no warranty to be spoken of.

Part of the reason I want a new car to begin with is the security of a warranty.

Fix the AC as well and you'd still be ahead of the game. You could easily put another 50k on the IS. Of course, I'm assuming that you have performed scheduled maintenance and that the IS is as relaible as most Jap cars are.

^^ +1, from financial point of view, you are better off keeping the IS. 78k is really not that many miles on a car, even more so in a Lexus.
And a 2002 IS is still a quality ride. Just because it's a few years old doesn't mean it's obsolete. 78k miles on a Toyota/Leuxus or any other quality Jap brand is nothing.

The 2007 LGT has better fuel economy than the 2002 IS according to EPA (by at least 2mpg). So not only will you have more room, and awd but it should be cheaper overall considering rising fuel prices. Depends ofcourse on the tranny with the MPG ratings.

If manual you are going from 16/23 to 18/25

If automatic its 16/23 to 17/23

The 2007 LGT has better fuel economy than the 2002 IS according to EPA (by at least 2mpg). So not only will you have more room, and awd but it should be cheaper overall considering rising fuel prices. Depends ofcourse on the tranny with the MPG ratings.

If manual you are going from 16/23 to 18/25

If automatic its 16/23 to 17/23

Wow, that's surprising. It's not like the IS weights 2 tons or something. I wonder why it gets such a bad mpg...

The 2007 LGT has better fuel economy than the 2002 IS according to EPA (by at least 2mpg). So not only will you have more room, and awd but it should be cheaper overall considering rising fuel prices.
You'd have to go a lot of miles to make up the difference in cash for fuel vs cash up front for a new(er) vehicle.

Well ofcourse EPA must be taken with a grain of salt... real world numbers show that the LGT gives sub-20 mpg as well especially when in boost. Though the benefit of having a 2.5 Turbo rather than a 3.0 V6 is as long as you stay out of boost you can "fool" your car into thinking its a regular 2.5i.

You'd have to go a lot of miles to make up the difference in cash for fuel vs cash up front for a new(er) vehicle.

True though as we've seen recently the price of gas has been sky rocketing to no end so theoretically it would take fewer miles to overcome that gap, but also consider that extra cost difference would give.

1. A lower mileage car.

2. A newer car.

3. AWD

4. More Room/Utility

On top of the benefits of better mpg.

And a 2002 IS is still a quality ride. Just because it's a few years old doesn't mean it's obsolete. 78k miles on a Toyota/Leuxus or any other quality Jap brand is nothing.

True dat. My bro got his IS two years ago with 50k on the clock. Now I think he's past 90k, no major problems to speak of.

But yes, the fuel economy is terrible, especially when you compare it to the new ones.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1803406&postcount=13

True though as we've seen recently the price of gas has been sky rocketing to no end so theoretically it would take fewer miles to overcome that gap, but also consider that extra cost difference would give.

1. A lower mileage car. $78k miles on an decently maintained Lexus is nothing.

2. A newer car. The IS is still a high quality ride.

3. AWD Keeping exactly matched tires is an expence that must be figured into the maintence equation.

4. More Room/Utility Perhaps.

On top of the benefits of better mpg. Maybe 5% worse and it can probably run just fine on mid grade.

The LGT is a great car but the OP's present car is still a very respectable ride.

Long term ownership is always the most cost effective (as long as the car is not a lemon and has many maintenance issues) which does not seem to be the case with the IS. Though if he needs more room (as he has insisted) the Legacy would be a great alternative and we're merely helping to sell it to him (pretty much doing what SOA fails at everyday) :)

Archived